• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter motor, or starter gear shot?

He's saying mounts by the gas tank/steering linkage, tipping engine toward front bumper.

The one mount "bolt" is a f^cker. Look up Grizztracks "sticky" on the RS home page about doing the timing chain tensioner. There are excellent pictures explaining the process of getting engine tipped forward and what's needed to get the right rear mount undone vs me trying to explain it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

He's saying mounts by the gas tank/steering linkage, tipping engine toward front bumper.

The one mount "bolt" is a f^cker. Look up Grizztracks "sticky" on the RS home page about doing the timing chain tensioner. There are excellent pictures explaining the process of getting engine tipped forward and what's needed to get the right rear mount undone vs me trying to explain it.

Ok, you guys have been great at helping me out on this. I will keep you guys posted as I go along. And will be posting pictures to. Thanks for the insight on which way the motor tips, I was confused for a second.

Remove the flex pipes/headers from the head. The motor needs to tilt forward towards the front bumper to remove the starter.
You can also remove the black headlight bracket to give you more room to work and see.

Remove the flex pipes/headers from the head. The motor needs to tilt forward towards the front bumper to remove the starter.
You can also remove the black headlight bracket to give you more room to work and see.
Yup, I know to remove the head light bracket. Just got dark, so I called it quits for the day. Thanks for the info the the headers, and which way the motor tilts. Thanks guys

Hey guys. I get that I need to drain the oil from the oil tank. And remove it. But what about the motor oil under the bely pan? Do I have to drain that also? Thanks

Ok, was draining the oil from the oil tank, and motor. And guess what I find? Gas in the oil, a lot of gas. Now the oil tank did not have any, but the motor drain bolt, had a lot. What the heck does this mean? The starter or some thing is still shot. But what the heck. Remember how I said the center piston was getting flooded with gas? I bet that is how that happened. Just wondering what to do. Need some opinions on this. Also if the center carb is flooding out that piston, when parked for a period of time, how do you fix that problem. I am getting sick and tired of this sled. Sick of working on it. Do you know I put 1,500 dollars into new parts on this thing this summer? And now I have to put in a pile more money into it. Ok, done ranting.

Center float is sticking, filling the bowl completely & I'm not pointing fingers, but the guy who messed with them & bent the float tab.... umm... well... ya.

Center float is sticking, filling the bowl completely & I'm not pointing fingers, but the guy who messed with them & bent the float tab.... umm... well... ya.

No, it was doing this last year to. Before the guy looked at it. It could also have some thing to do with me. Would flutter some thing wicked when it was left sitting awhile. All it would take was 30 seconds of sitting when warm you fire it up and it would flutter, bump the gas, would come right out of it. Wondering if I should just pick up new floats, and one needle for the carbs. I am wondering if it just needs a new needle as this one might be worn.

Float & inlet needle I'd say. But something is causing sticking.

Float & inlet needle I'd say. But something is causing sticking.

Ok, thanks. When I make the parts list for my sled, starter, starter relay, and probable a lot more stuff, I am going to buy a new needle, and maybe floats for the carb.

I am on my second time changing my starter and i have never removed the exhaust or seat. I just pull both black brackets, one for the battery, and the one above your carbs just unbolt leave loose. Remove both front motor mounts and the 2 steering parts i just unbolt and lift them up a bit. Rear motor mount loosen and leave bolt in. I also just unbolt oil tank and there is enough slack. Lift front of motor and remove starter!! Guessing less room this way but it comes out.

I am on my second time changing my starter and i have never removed the exhaust or seat. I just pull both black brackets, one for the battery, and the one above your carbs just unbolt leave loose. Remove both front motor mounts and the 2 steering parts i just unbolt and lift them up a bit. Rear motor mount loosen and leave bolt in. I also just unbolt oil tank and there is enough slack. Lift front of motor and remove starter!! Guessing less room this way but it comes out.
Can I ask you what happened when you lost your starters? Like did it just not start? On my sled, the primary clutch can spin forward fine, but you can not turn it backward. I do know now this is not a good idea. And when turning the key to start, you can hear a hum, but nothing is happening. Like the starter is not even turning. Is this what happened to yours when you starter went? But I am wondering if all mine needs is a starter, and a starter relay. Or is it going to need the works like one way bearing, starter clutch, starter, and starter relay? I guess I will find out when I open it up. Sorry for all the questions.

Also Forgot need to pull belt and oil filter!
Yup, I already pulled the belt off, and i just have to take the oil filter off. Do you have any pictures of what you did, to get to the starter? I am wondering if i do the things you described, am i going to have enough room to get to the one way bearing/ starter clutch? Thanks

Yup, I already pulled the belt off, and i just have to take the oil filter off. Do you have any pictures of what you did, to get to the starter? I am wondering if i do the things you described, am i going to have enough room to get to the one way bearing/ starter clutch? Thanks
No you wont! Thats just to get the starter out.

Back