• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter motor, or starter gear shot?

Can I ask you what happened when you lost your starters? Like did it just not start? On my sled, the primary clutch can spin forward fine, but you can not turn it backward. I do know now this is not a good idea. And when turning the key to start, you can hear a hum, but nothing is happening. Like the starter is not even turning. Is this what happened to yours when you starter went? But I am wondering if all mine needs is a starter, and a starter relay. Or is it going to need the works like one way bearing, starter clutch, starter, and starter relay? I guess I will find out when I open it up. Sorry for all the questions.
Both times my starter went out was due to a magnet on the starter case letting go. The first one went out and was like a direct short and toasted the starter relay. Second one just went out, and it would not even make a spark jumping the relay. Both of them acted like the motor was locked up if u tried to turn the motor backwards due to the magnets dragging in the starter. If it was me i would pull the starter first before i did all the other work. Needs to come out anyways. If you turn your primary clutch in the correct normal running position do you have drag?? Turning the motor backwards engages the one way bearing so it will not turn as easy.

Both times my starter went out was due to a magnet on the starter case letting go. The first one went out and was like a direct short and toasted the starter relay. Second one just went out, and it would not even make a spark jumping the relay. Both of them acted like the motor was locked up if u tried to turn the motor backwards due to the magnets dragging in the starter. If it was me i would pull the starter first before i did all the other work. Needs to come out anyways. If you turn your primary clutch in the correct normal running position do you have drag?? Turning the motor backwards engages the one way bearing so it will not turn as easy.
The primary turns forward fine, but backwards you can not turn it. It is locked up tight. I did try jumping the relay, there where piles of sparks, but nothing to turn it over. I guess I will try your way to pull the starter, and if that frees stuff up, then I know I need just a starter and starter relay. It is probably a good idea to replace the starter relay, as that is what makes the starter stay on. And it is only 60 dollars. My sled does have 15,500 miles on it. But what you just described is like what mine is doing, turns forward fine, but will not turn backwards. Thanks man!!

Replace the starter relay for sure if your drawing those king of amps through it. Mine has 7800 miles. Went up to Brule for a ride and it never left the trailer. First time was at home took it out of the shed went around the house couple times, stopped by the house go to start hear clunk bang JUNK!!!! FPOS Starters and relays. I don't get why the magnets come off the case happened twice now, original and cheap aftermarket. Brushes are still like new in both.

Replace the starter relay for sure if your drawing those king of amps through it. Mine has 7800 miles. Went up to Brule for a ride and it never left the trailer. First time was at home took it out of the shed went around the house couple times, stopped by the house go to start hear clunk bang JUNK!!!! FPOS Starters and relays. I don't get why the magnets come off the case happened twice now, original and cheap aftermarket. Brushes are still like new in both.
Yup, I hear ya. I think mine is a OEM starter. Not sure though. If that is all my sled needs, I will be buying a OEM starter, and starter relay. And hope to get another 15,500 miles out of it. I am going to get probably this summer the starter saver, by Rock. I am working on the starter today.

Some of the pics

Attachments

• 2017-01-13 16.44.02.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.44.02.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 2017-01-13 16.44.44.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.44.44.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 2017-01-13 16.45.03.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.45.03.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 2017-01-13 16.45.12.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.45.12.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 2017-01-13 16.45.27.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.45.27.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 2017-01-13 16.45.37.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.45.37.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 2017-01-13 16.45.48.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.45.48.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 2017-01-13 16.45.58.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.45.58.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 2017-01-13 16.46.11.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.46.11.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 196
  • 2017-01-13 16.46.33.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.46.33.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 2017-01-13 16.46.40.jpg
    2017-01-13 16.46.40.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Got it out!! It was just a stuck starter, that got stuck on the on position, which cooked the starter motor. Freed up the primary clutch. All I did to remove the starter was take the front motor bolts out, left the rear one in ( so the motor could pivot). Took of the steering, to give enough room to swing the motor up 3-4 inches. Took the front radiator hose off, makes getting at the starter a breeze. Anyways, going to order a brand new starter, starter relay, 3 new floats, new needle valve. The antifreeze was due to get replaced to. And I am going to get new oil and oil filter.

Hoping the new starter, and starter relay last for another 15,000 miles. I am getting OEM parts. Do you think that will fix the flooding of the center carb out, if I get 3 brand new floats, and new needles? Thanks

I put mine in today. I tried the China starters and there junk. Did you take the Starter apart?? My guess is the magnets came loose off the case. Been my problem twice now.

I put mine in today. I tried the China starters and there junk. Did you take the Starter apart?? My guess is the magnets came loose off the case. Been my problem twice now.
Nope, I have not taken the starter apart. But it does not turn at all. I will be rebuilding it this summer, or when I get time. So I will have two new starters. So if one breaks, I can put in the spare one. I did hear the OEM starters are really good. So I mine as well get OEM starter. Probably do not want to cheap out on the starter. I bet the magnets came loose to.

What do you guys think about the whole carb flooding thing? From what I can tell you can not get a new needle brass seat for the carb. I looked up the parts on Yamaha, and could not find it. As of right now, I am just getting 3 new floats, new needle valve, starter, and starter relay. Any more info on the carb flooding problem will be great.

What do you guys think about the whole carb flooding thing? From what I can tell you can not get a new needle brass seat for the carb. I looked up the parts on Yamaha, and could not find it. As of right now, I am just getting 3 new floats, new needle valve, starter, and starter relay. Any more info on the carb flooding problem will be great.

I haven't reread your whole thread. Looks like the the needle seat is part of the carb body and isn't meant to be replaced. Did you get our carbs sonic cleaned? Make sure that the float levels are set dead nuts.

I haven't reread your whole thread. Looks like the the needle seat is part of the carb body and isn't meant to be replaced. Did you get our carbs sonic cleaned? Make sure that the float levels are set dead nuts.
I did not get them sonic cleaned, as no one does it up where I live. I would have to ship it out some where, which I do not want to do at this point in time. Thanks for clearing it up about the needle valve seat. I looked and locked, and did not find any thing on Yamaha. I have 3 brand new floats, 3 brand new needle valves, new OEM starter, and starter relay on the way. Btw, my sled is going over 9,000 rpms now. Just it floods out the center spark plug with a lot of gas, and flutters when you start it after you let it sit for 5-10 mins. Runs great other than that. Oh, and when I drained the oil there was gas in the oil. Thanks

Yup, I hear ya. I think mine is a OEM starter. Not sure though. If that is all my sled needs, I will be buying a OEM starter, and starter relay. And hope to get another 15,500 miles out of it. I am going to get probably this summer the starter saver, by Rock. I am working on the starter today.

I have some low mile used oem starters for $125 if interested.

Back