• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter motor, or starter gear shot?

Check the pictures I put up, so you can see what I am dealing with. You guys will see what I am talking about. Some of the pics did not come out good, as they are blury, I am using an old camera. But I think you will get the jest of it.

Attachments

• 2017-01-31 10.25.06.jpg
    2017-01-31 10.25.06.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 2017-01-31 10.25.16.jpg
    2017-01-31 10.25.16.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 2017-01-31 10.25.22.jpg
    2017-01-31 10.25.22.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 2017-01-31 11.05.33.jpg
    2017-01-31 11.05.33.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 143
  • 2017-01-31 11.07.29.jpg
    2017-01-31 11.07.29.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 2017-01-31 11.07.48.jpg
    2017-01-31 11.07.48.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 2017-01-31 11.08.06.jpg
    2017-01-31 11.08.06.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 2017-01-31 11.04.54.jpg
    2017-01-31 11.04.54.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 147
  • 2017-01-31 11.05.02.jpg
    2017-01-31 11.05.02.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 146

Ok, one last thing you guys. 4strokeluvr you said, the screws at the bottom make minimal difference to make it more lean or rich, right? Why I say this, is all the jets are stock in it, so I am wondering if my spark plugs being white like that, is how it has been for 15,500 miles. When the new floats come in, I am going to put them in, and the carbs should be back to stock, enless that guy messed with the screws on the bottom of the bowl.

Ok, one last thing you guys. 4strokeluvr you said, the screws at the bottom make minimal difference to make it more lean or rich, right? Why I say this, is all the jets are stock in it, so I am wondering if my spark plugs being white like that, is how it has been for 15,500 miles. When the new floats come in, I am going to put them in, and the carbs should be back to stock, enless that guy messed with the screws on the bottom of the bowl.

IMO - where the screws on the bottom are set will make very very very very very very little difference in the color of your plugs. When you say "white"..how white are they? Post a picture.

FWIW and IMO - a properly burning plug should be tan in color. The plugs in my 2005 run darker than tan. If this was a 2S, I'd change something. But seeing that my engine has close to 18K miles and runs good, I've never bothered to try something different. The change in MPG and performance would be so minuscule I probably wouldn't even notice.

You don't have the same plugs in for 15K miles do you?

IMO - where the screws on the bottom are set will make very very very very very very little difference in the color of your plugs. When you say "white"..how white are they? Post a picture.

FWIW and IMO - a properly burning plug should be tan in color. The plugs in my 2005 run darker than tan. If this was a 2S, I'd change something. But seeing that my engine has close to 18K miles and runs good, I've never bothered to try something different. The change in MPG and performance would be so minuscule I probably wouldn't even notice.

No, I just changed the plugs this summer. Figured I would treat the motor to new ones. My brother and I where running out sleds on the lake the other day, and my exhaust smelled very hot at the end of the run. And my brother was the same way. I think they are both pretty close together for being lean. That is good to know about the screw under the carb, as every thing else is stock in the carbs. I would have to take a pic of the plugs with a different camera, as the one I use does not focus well at close range, it would be very blury. My sled is running great carb wise, a lot of power and RPMs now. Have a new fuel pump ordered. As of right now, I take the vacuum hose from the fuel pump to the carb off during the night, as like I said it leaks. It is a pain to do right now. But at least I still can do some riding in till the new pump comes in. I am checking the oil, and oil level every day before I ride. And make sure gas is not in the oil.

By chance did you pull the vacuum lines that come from the engine and go to the pump and make sure they are dry? I don't remember where they come from and right now I'm too lazy to go down and look.

BTW - bottom fuel screws should be 2 full turns out from seated.

By chance did you pull the vacuum lines that come from the engine and go to the pump and make sure they are dry? I don't remember where they come from and right now I'm too lazy to go down and look.

BTW - bottom fuel screws should be 2 full turns out from seated.
Do you mean the vacuum hoses form the carbs to the fuel pump? The hoses you have to take off, to sync the carbs, well take one off at a time i should say. There are two of them. One is dry, the other leaks of gas, making one fuel pump good the other bad. So tighten the screws fully in till seated, then back off 2 full turns. Thanks Man!!! I will also tell you this, my brother on his stock 09 vector ltx gt, and me on my 08 vector ltx gt, go about the same speed. That day on the lake, his went 109 on the speedo, and mine went 110 to 111 mph. So there is not much difference in speed. Mine might be a tad leaner than his though, as when ever we fill up at the gas pump, mine always takes a little less gas than his. I might get a mpg better than he, not sure though. Like I said they are about the same on every thing.

Do you mean the vacuum hoses form the carbs to the fuel pump? The hoses you have to take off, to sync the carbs, well take one off at a time i should say. There are two of them. One is dry, the other leaks of gas, making one fuel pump good the other bad. So tighten the screws fully in till seated, then back off 2 full turns. Thanks Man!!! I will also tell you this, my brother on his stock 09 vector ltx gt, and me on my 08 vector ltx gt, go about the same speed. That day on the lake, his went 109 on the speedo, and mine went 110 to 111 mph. So there is not much difference in speed. Mine might be a tad leaner than his though, as when ever we fill up at the gas pump, mine always takes a little less gas than his. I might get a mpg better than he, not sure though. Like I said they are about the same on every thing.

OK I went and looked at my 05 Vector. You are seeing fuel in one or both of the vacuum lines going to the fuel pump? I'm sorry if this is rehashing something already posted....I don't have time to go through all the posts.

And FWIW and IMO -- don't ever GPS your speed. I think you'll just end up being really disappointed. :)

Post a pic of one of your plugs too. I want to see how white they are.

OK I went and looked at my 05 Vector. You are seeing fuel in one or both of the vacuum lines going to the fuel pump? I'm sorry if this is rehashing something already posted....I don't have time to go through all the posts.

And FWIW and IMO -- don't ever GPS your speed. I think you'll just end up being really disappointed. :)

Post a pic of one of your plugs too. I want to see how white they are.
I am seeing fuel leak out of one of the vacuum hoses, while the other one is bone dry. And that is why the motor flutters when let is sit for like 5-10 mins. I took the hose that has gas in it, and it just leaks out of the fuel pump when it is shut off. I will be posting pictures, when I put in the new floats, Fuel pump. I will take pictures of the spark plugs when I do that. I went for a 131 mile ride today, my sled is running awesome, other than the fuel pump problem. I did hear that is you use gps, you will be disappointed, that is why I just go by the speedo.

Still waiting on my floats, and fuel pump. I have put on like 600 miles in 6 days. I am checking the oil level every day I use it. And the level is not changing, as at night I just take the hose off that leaks. It is a pain, but at least I can run my sled a little. Btw my new starter and starter relay are holding up great!!! I will keep you guys updated when I get my floats and new fuel pump. In till then happy riding!!!

Here are the pics. Sorry it took me so long. They have about 600-800 miles since I replaced the starter. And they are not even close to how white they where when I checked them 600 plus miles ago. Still waiting on the fuel pump, and floats. But I am getting some riding in.

Attachments

• Spark plug 1.JPG
    Spark plug 1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 117
  • spark plug 2.JPG
    spark plug 2.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 118
  • spark plug 3.JPG
    spark plug 3.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 110
I know, you are going to look at them and say they are fine. But 600 miles ago, they could not have been any whiter.

Smoke shadows are 1/2 way on curve of the ground strap... Perfect burn!!

That means more than the porcelain color.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Smoke shadows are 1/2 way on curve of the ground strap... Perfect burn!!

That means more than the porcelain color.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Yup, that is what I thought to. Just when I had the plugs out 600 miles ago, they where very very white. But that is good, I think my whole carb problems are getting fixed.

Back