• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter motor, or starter gear shot?

When I get the new fuel pump installed, I am going to change the oil, and put on Full synthetic Yamaha motor oil. The gold quarts. I am going from semi synthetic to full synthetic, figured it will be a heck of a lot better for my motor, and I run high rpms. And at 16,800 miles, why not go from semi synthetic to full.

I'd stick with the semi-synthetic. Go back to what Steiner said at the bottom of the first page of this thread about the oil seal.

I'd stick with the semi-synthetic. Go back to what Steiner said at the bottom of the first page of this thread about the oil seal.
We are talking yamalube oil, not any aftermarket oil. I looked back to what he said, (On the 08 Vector I purchased used the starter was replaced. The dealer/mechanic (one man shop) said that the oil seal failed and filled the starter with oil.) That is what he said, nothing about full synthetic oil. I did hear that if you go with mobil or another brand, it is hard on the starter clutch. I am using yamalube semi right now, but am going over to the yamalube full synthetic.

I am at a loss for words on my sled right now. So the bad fuel pump I put on the top, so I could unplug the vacuum hose when I was done using it for the day. So I was checking the spark plug color, and come to find out the fuel pump on the bottom is now leaking ( this was the good one supposedly). And guess what, the fuel pump that used to leak gas, does not leak gas any more!!!! What the heck is going on with this thing??? It seems to me, like the fuel pump on the bottom ( the two fuel pumps are bolted together) always leaks. The hoses should be dry, as all the should have is air. Really getting frustrated with this sled. Btw I have the new fuel pump on the way( thought I only needed on, as the other one was not leaking) should be here tomorrow. Wondering if I need another one now, like replace both of them. Snowmobiling is getting costly boys.

Attachments

• 2017-02-20 11.56.49.jpg
    2017-02-20 11.56.49.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 119
  • 2017-02-20 11.56.59.jpg
    2017-02-20 11.56.59.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 2017-02-20 11.57.13.jpg
    2017-02-20 11.57.13.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 2017-02-20 11.57.33.jpg
    2017-02-20 11.57.33.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 2017-02-20 12.00.12.jpg
    2017-02-20 12.00.12.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 2017-02-20 12.00.18.jpg
    2017-02-20 12.00.18.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 2017-02-20 12.05.14.jpg
    2017-02-20 12.05.14.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 118
Hey Expert, your information was real helpful to me. I have the exact same sled you do, 2008 Vector LTX GT with about 9,600 miles on it. Last year it started to just click when I turned the key and I learned that if I hand spun the primary (counterclockwise only!) it would start right up, which told me I had a bad spot in the starter. I bought a new OEM starter to the tune of $325 and used your instructions to swap it out last Saturday. I kept trying to get that 3-4 inches of travel on pivoting the motor up and forward but could only get a couple inches max. The starter came out but with literally no room to spare. I also had to remove the saddle on the right front motor mount as it was hitting the frame when I pried the motor up. Now that the job is done, I'm getting ready to head to the Michigan UP for a 4-dayer with the guys with a sled that starts like a brand new one and no worries of a no start situation out in the boonies somewhere. Thanks for posting your experience!!!

Hey Expert, your information was real helpful to me. I have the exact same sled you do, 2008 Vector LTX GT with about 9,600 miles on it. Last year it started to just click when I turned the key and I learned that if I hand spun the primary (counterclockwise only!) it would start right up, which told me I had a bad spot in the starter. I bought a new OEM starter to the tune of $325 and used your instructions to swap it out last Saturday. I kept trying to get that 3-4 inches of travel on pivoting the motor up and forward but could only get a couple inches max. The starter came out but with literally no room to spare. I also had to remove the saddle on the right front motor mount as it was hitting the frame when I pried the motor up. Now that the job is done, I'm getting ready to head to the Michigan UP for a 4-dayer with the guys with a sled that starts like a brand new one and no worries of a no start situation out in the boonies somewhere. Thanks for posting your experience!!!
Awesome!! Glad you got answers on my post!! Did you buy a new starter relay also? That is why the starter stopped working in the first place on yours and my sled. What happens is the starter relay stays open, making the starter spin even when the key is on the on position. So when you are going 8,500 rpms, the starter gets cooked real quick!! So if you have not replaced it yet, I would advise you to replace the starter relay, only like $60 dollars from Babbits online. Did you loosen up the steering bars that mount the frame of the sled? On mine I loosened the steering linkage/ arms that connect to the frame in front of the motor, and moved them to the side. That way I was able to lift my motor 3" or so in the front. If you did not loosen the arms/ linkages, you would have only been able to raise the motor 1-2" then it would have hit. Glad to have been a help!!! I replaced my starter at 15,000 miles I think it was (around there, lol), I now have 19,200 miles on my sled!! It was an job I was dreading, replacing the starter, but since I have done it now it is going to be that much easier the next time. Hopefully there is no next time, lol

Awesome!! Glad you got answers on my post!! Did you buy a new starter relay also? That is why the starter stopped working in the first place on yours and my sled. What happens is the starter relay stays open, making the starter spin even when the key is on the on position. So when you are going 8,500 rpms, the starter gets cooked real quick!! So if you have not replaced it yet, I would advise you to replace the starter relay, only like $60 dollars from Babbits online. Did you loosen up the steering bars that mount the frame of the sled? On mine I loosened the steering linkage/ arms that connect to the frame in front of the motor, and moved them to the side. That way I was able to lift my motor 3" or so in the front. If you did not loosen the arms/ linkages, you would have only been able to raise the motor 1-2" then it would have hit. Glad to have been a help!!! I replaced my starter at 15,000 miles I think it was (around there, lol), I now have 19,200 miles on my sled!! It was an job I was dreading, replacing the starter, but since I have done it now it is going to be that much easier the next time. Hopefully there is no next time, lol
Ya, my relay had a bunch of green crust buildup in it. I hit it with some battery post cleaner and no more issues. But I will take your advice and replace the relay anyway. For an accountant from the Midwest with two grandkids already, I'm pretty proud of my repair job. Thanks again for your advice, it was very helpful!!!!!

Back