• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter System Troubleshooting

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
With all the starting problems this my help save time and money.
This link also has helpful info: Relay and fuse location diagram: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=83992

starter diagnostics.jpg

start1.jpg

Nytro relay.jpg

Last edited:

That should clear up a whole lot of repetitive questions of which fuse is which and how to diagnose problems. ;)!

Can someone ( Mr Sled or any Mod ) please add this to the stickies in the FAQ section....great stuff Grizz!

I thought the green main fuse was the starter relay...me stupid.... my dealer is also... cause that is what he gave to me to replace last year. lol... ended up working after I replaced the green main fuse.

Now I want to be prepared for the starter relay quiting on me. Have read about that alot. Is it in the front nose of the sled...second one from the front? Does it look like the green main fuse ? Or does it look like the starter relay in the picture above?

Some prefer to call what is marked as relay the "Starter Solenoid".There is also a 1"x 1" x1" relay which can freeze and cause issues.Usually when this happens you wont hear fuel pump cycle when key is first turned on.The two issues are often confused with each other.This topic should help end confusion.Thanks Grizz!

cannondale27 said:
Some prefer to call what is marked as relay the "Starter Solenoid"

I tend to call it a solenoid also (a solenoid is a specific type of relay that uses a linear moving plunger or core). Yamaha calls it a "Relay" so to save any confusion it's best to stick to their terminology.

What is the part # for this relay and is there a interchangeable part from NAPA or some place else that will work???

Part number for the starter relay,

2008-2010: 3EL-81940-02-00

2011-2012: 8GL-81940-00-00

The new 2011-2012 relay has a different connector than the previous years so it's not a direct replacement.

There is not an aftermarket direct replacement for either relay but it is possible to buy an automotive relay then add an external fuse for the injection system circuit.

There are a couple of things that can be done to prevent future relay failure.
1) Use a good anti-corrosion grease on the connectors to help seal out moisture.
2) Covering the relay with a shield to shed water. I used an old Yamaha Grizzly headlight boot mounted over the relay to help shed water.
3) relocate or rotate the relay. It's possible to rotate the relay in the mount so that it's upside down which should help keep water out. The battery and starter wires would need to be reversed on the relay to do this.

Attachments

• Starter relay boot.jpg
    Starter relay boot.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 532

Back