• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Status Update for Sidewinder: Luggage Bags, LE Goggle Bags and Rear Skid

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
Here is some info that was passed along to me VIA dealer network Source:

Where are the Sidewinder S-TX Luggage Bags?
There is a vendor based delay, but Yamaha expects to have shipped all Sidewinder S-TX luggage bags to dealers in November, 2016.

Why does the Sidewinder S-TX DX not come with a tall windshield and mirrors as originally explained on the Yamaha website?
Further testing revealed that the increased top speed of the Sidewinder S-TX DX resulted in the need for a shorter windscreen to increase rigidity and durability. The correct Sidewinder S-TX DX specification is for a mid-level windscreen without mirrors.

Where is the Sidewinder LE Goggle Bag that was part of the Spring Power Surge (SPS) program benefits?
A goggle bag is included for Sidewinder LE models as part of the SPS program. There is a vendor-based delay, but Yamaha expects to ship the Sidewinder goggle bags to dealers for customers starting December, 2016 and completing in February, 2017.

Why does the Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE not have the ‘Race’ Skid rear suspension?
Some marketing materials referenced that Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE come equipped with SR129 & SR137 dual shock ‘Race’ skid.
The 2017 production Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE units have the dual shock SR129 & SR137 rear skid with upgraded Fox QS3 Kashima-coated shocks. These skids are the correct specification and meet or exceed all durability and performance requirements.

Yamaha would like to remind everyone that unit specifications are subject to change and regrets any inconvenience.

Here is some info that was passed along to me VIA dealer network Source:

Where are the Sidewinder S-TX Luggage Bags?
There is a vendor based delay, but Yamaha expects to have shipped all Sidewinder S-TX luggage bags to dealers in November, 2016.

Why does the Sidewinder S-TX DX not come with a tall windshield and mirrors as originally explained on the Yamaha website?
Further testing revealed that the increased top speed of the Sidewinder S-TX DX resulted in the need for a shorter windscreen to increase rigidity and durability. The correct Sidewinder S-TX DX specification is for a mid-level windscreen without mirrors.

Where is the Sidewinder LE Goggle Bag that was part of the Spring Power Surge (SPS) program benefits?
A goggle bag is included for Sidewinder LE models as part of the SPS program. There is a vendor-based delay, but Yamaha expects to ship the Sidewinder goggle bags to dealers for customers starting December, 2016 and completing in February, 2017.

Why does the Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE not have the ‘Race’ Skid rear suspension?
Some marketing materials referenced that Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE come equipped with SR129 & SR137 dual shock ‘Race’ skid.
The 2017 production Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE units have the dual shock SR129 & SR137 rear skid with upgraded Fox QS3 Kashima-coated shocks. These skids are the correct specification and meet or exceed all durability and performance requirements.

Yamaha would like to remind everyone that unit specifications are subject to change and regrets any inconvenience.
Thanks for posting this Mr Sled. I won't shoot the messenger!
Sounds like they'll be allot of happy people with goggle bags, but the guys like myself looking for "beefy" rails are SOL! I'm hoping the procross skid will be a huge improvement strength wise over the monoshock skid

thanks for posting ...Im disappointed....

I could care less about the heat blocker (goggle bag) and like most...expected the beefier rails and cross shafts...I still believe like said in the other thread...they put it in writing...we bucked up...we didnt get it...and I dont care about your durability testing....

and..

a specification supbject to change would be ...gearing ratio...etc....not promising one suspension and delivering another..like mighty said...sounds a little bait and switch to me..even if its a mistake...they said it and they own it..or at least to try and make it right...

that boiler plate reply didnt cut it

Thanks Mr. Sled. Very much appreciated. x2 on what sj said. 'some marketing' more like ALL marketing......

X3 on what SJ said!!!

I am also really disappointed. I am waiting to see what the 50th anniversary is before buying and now I know I can't trust what they publish to get my money up front. It's really this line that has me irritated

"Yamaha would like to remind everyone that unit specifications are subject to change and regrets any inconvenience."

It's one thing to do the bait and switch and not respond. It's another to remind us that it's really us and not them after doing it. Just rubs me wrong. I completely understand some adjustments, but to literally market a higher priced sled based on something you don't end up delivering is shady business imo. I surely wouldn't go back to somewhere local that pulled something like this. I'd expect them to make it right. Can you imagine buying the higher end model of a car only to get there and they said they decided not to give you what is in their brochure but they promise it'll be just as good... And they then tell you we destroyed as much evidence of the fact that we promised it to you as we could and they would like to offer you nothing for the missing items. Seeing that you are upset at that point... they would like to take this opportunity to remind you that they can change their mind at any time on any item and they regret any inconvenience.

Just my .02, but I'm not sure I would "take this opportunity" to do anything but make it right or say nothing at all.

Thanks for getting some answers MrSled!!

Gotta say that based on their replies it will be a cold day in hell before I snow check another sled from Yamaha. Moving forward I will use the old seeing is believing approach and only consider buying something on the showroom floor to be certain I am getting what I paid for.

Long term this attitude is going to bite Yamaha in the #*$&@!!

Thanks for posting this MrSled. I agree with what fatchance said.....let's not shoot the messenger, but use this as an opportunity to let Yamaha know what our stance is as their consumers since we now know their official stance on this matter.

My biggest concern is with Yamaha changing the specs is on the LTX-LE rear skid. I've addressed my concerns in the thread "rear suspension on ltx-le" that's posted in this forum and don't feel the need to reiterate everything that I've previously said on this thread.

I agree with what the previous 5 members have said in being disappointed in Yamaha's response. I'd like to make a few comments:

1. Why does the Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE not have the ‘Race’ Skid rear suspension?

My comments.........They now say that this skid comes with "upgraded" Fox QS3 Kashima-coated shocks. These are NOT the same shocks that the spring marketing literature said would come on the sleds. So what is the upgrade? Wait for it.....The spring marketing literature mentions FoxQS3R Kashima coated shocks coming on the skid. The R designating a rebound adjuster. So I guess the correct specification that Yamaha is saying the production sleds come with is the shocks that were advertised in the spring but without the rebound adjuster? Some "upgrade" I guess.

I'm hoping that this is just another one of their errors in trying to get the correct specs out, but who at Yamaha is actually responsible for these errors?

Getting back to the specs on the "Race" skid that was advertised last spring.....I would think that there was just more than one person involved with putting the specs in the marketing literature and that someone responsible would have proof read the material before giving the green light to have it printed and sent out. And also why would they have their former Marketing Manager (Wade West) talk about the "beefed up rails and arms" in the skid at the media event last spring that's posted in the YouTube video? Here's your answer right here as stated by Yamaha's response today: Yamaha would like to remind everyone that unit specifications are subject to change and regrets any inconvenience.

From their response I guess that we are extremely lucky to even be getting the "upgraded" Fox shocks in the skid, I'm glad that they didn't decide to change the specifications on the good shocks.

I've been looking forwards to taking delivery of my new SW LTX-LE but I can't help but feel short changed in what I'll be getting vs. what I was expecting. I feel bad for the dealers who have to deal with any disappointed customers like myself and have to give Yamaha's official explanation to their customers that's been posted above.

I've been a loyal customer of Yamaha since 1971 when I bought my very first sled as a young lad, a Yamaha SL338C. I've purchased countless other Yamaha sleds since than along with other Yamaha products: musical instruments, outboard motors, audio equipment, even tennis rackets.

I have come to expect a lot more from Yamaha and was really looking forwards to what was coming down the pipeline from their snowmobile divisions 50th anniversary next year. I'll be giving some serious thought to looking at the other OEM offerings now.

I've said my peace of mind on this topic and would just like to say that I am extremely disappointed in how they have chosen to handle the skid situation on these RTX and LTX LE models.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this MrSled. I agree with what fatchance said.....let's not shoot the messenger, but use this as an opportunity to let Yamaha know what our stance is as their consumers since we now know their official stance on this matter.

My biggest concern with Yamaha changing the specs is on the LTX-LE rear skid. I've addressed my concerns in the thread "rear suspension on ltx-le" that's posted in this forum and don't feel the need to reiterate everything that I've previously said here.

I agree with what the previous 5 members have said in being disappointed in Yamaha's response. I'd like to make a few comments:

1. Why does the Sidewinder R-TX LE, Viper L-TX LE & Sidewinder L-TX LE not have the ‘Race’ Skid rear suspension?

My comments.........They now say that this skid comes with "upgraded" Fox QS3 Kashima-coated shocks. These are NOT the same shocks that the spring marketing literature said would come on the sleds. So what is the upgrade? Wait for it.....The spring marketing literature mentions FoxQS3R Kashima coated shocks coming on the skid. The R designating a rebound adjuster. So I guess the correct specification that Yamaha is saying the production sleds come with is the shocks that were advertised in the spring but without the rebound adjuster? Some "upgrade" I guess.

I'm hoping that this is just another one of their errors in trying to get the correct specs out, but who at Yamaha is actually responsible for these errors?

Getting back to the specs on the "Race" skid that was advertised last spring.....I would think that there was just more than one person involved with putting the specs in the marketing literature and that someone responsible would have proof read the material before giving the green light to have it printed and sent out. And also why would they have their former Marketing Manager (Wade West) talk about the "beefed up rails and arms" in the skid at the media event last spring that's posted in the YouTube video? Here's your answer right here as stated by Yamaha's response today: Yamaha would like to remind everyone that unit specifications are subject to change and regrets any inconvenience.

From their response I guess that we are extremely lucky to even be getting the "upgraded" Fox shocks in the skid, I'm glad that they didn't decide to change the specifications on the good shocks.

I've been a loyal customer of Yamaha since 1971 when I bought my very first sled, a Yamaha SL338C. I've purchased countless other Yamaha sleds since than along with other Yamaha products: musical instruments, outboard motors, audio equipment, even tennis rackets.

I've been looking forwards to taking delivery of my new SW LTX-LE but I can't help but feel short changed in what I'll be getting vs. what I was expecting.

I've come to expect a lot more from Yamaha and was really looking forwards to what was coming down the pipeline for their snowmobile divisions 50th anniversary next year. I'll be giving some serious thought to looking at the other OEM offerings now.

I've said my peace of mind on this topic and would just like to say that I am extremely disappointed in how they have chosen to handle the skid situation on these RTX and LTX LE models.
Well said. My feelings as well.

Agreed. Not shooting the messenger... just my thoughts on the situation with Yamaha. Ironically we just picked up 2 sidewinders tonight. Really great looking sled. Can't wait for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is how much, if any money did Yamaha save by using the normal skid? Because I believe we paid a premium for this model. Hey Yamaha, if the skid we got is durable enough for us as you claim, extend the warranty on the skid. If you're right, you won't have any additional expenses. If you're wrong, we are protected.

My question is how much, if any money did Yamaha save by using the normal skid? Because I believe we paid a premium for this model. Hey Yamaha, if the skid we got is durable enough for us as you claim, extend the warranty on the skid. If you're right, you won't have any additional expenses. If you're wrong, we are protected.
This is why I buy Toyotas, they back their products. Anyone have a brand new frame under their trucks? You won't see the domestics do this. Come on Yamaha, pony up!

Reactions: krm

My biggest concern is with Yamaha changing the specs is on the LTX-LE rear skid. I've addressed my concerns in the thread "rear suspension on ltx-le" that's posted in this forum and don't feel the need to reiterate everything that I've previously said on this thread.

I've been looking forwards to taking delivery of my new SW LTX-LE but I can't help but feel short changed in what I'll be getting vs. what I was expecting. I feel bad for the dealers who have to deal with any disappointed customers like myself and have to give Yamaha's official explanation to their customers that's been posted above.

I've been a loyal customer of Yamaha since 1971 when I bought my very first sled as a young lad, a Yamaha SL338C. I've purchased countless other Yamaha sleds since than along with other Yamaha products: musical instruments, outboard motors, audio equipment, even tennis rackets.

I have come to expect a lot more from Yamaha and was really looking forwards to what was coming down the pipeline from their snowmobile divisions 50th anniversary next year. I'll be giving some serious thought to looking at the other OEM offerings now.

The shocks do gave the rebound adjusters. I can confirm this. Mine is sitting in the garage.

Back