• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Still having fuel pump problems

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Vector LTX GT.
WEBSITE
www. Moosehead Lawn Care.com
YAHOO
colemanbodemer@yahoo.com
Here is what is going on. One of my fuel pumps was leaking a little gas down the vacuum hose to the carb. Which in turn mixed gas with the motor oil when it sat. Lucky I had to replace my starter, which is how I found out gas was in the oil. So when I changed the starter, I put in brand new motor oil, and was unhooking the vacuum hose from the carb at night time, so it would not mix gas with the oil. I ordered a new fuel pump, and it should be here tomorrow( did not need two, as the other one would not leak gas). So here is where it gets weird, I took the fuel pump that leaks apart, blew the whole thing out with the air compressor. Resembled, and like other guys on here said, it still is leaking gas. So last night I was doing carb work on my sled, so both the vacuum hoses are disconnected from the carbs. Today I go out side, the fuel pump vacuum hose that has been leaking gas( a fair amount of it to, a drip every 5 seconds or more) is bone dry. The other fuel pump vacuum hose, is leaking gas now!!!! It seems to me, what ever fuel pump is on the bottom ( they are stacked up and bolted together on the frame) seems to leak gas. I know the vacuum hoses should be bone dry. I am going to do another oil change, as I do not want any gas in with the oil. What do you guys think of what is going on? Need your input. Thanks

So is it possible that the carb that's hooked up to the lower pump is sucking too much?

Not sure? What do you mean by that? Like can you adjust some thing?

This question is really meant for other readers who know the intricacies of these carbs. I wonder if the carb that's always attached to the leaky fuel pump is pulling too much vacuum? How would it pull too much vacuum, I have no idea.

This question is really meant for other readers who know the intricacies of these carbs. I wonder if the carb that's always attached to the leaky fuel pump is pulling too much vacuum? How would it pull too much vacuum, I have no idea.
I did not mean to write what I put. Here is what is going on with the bottom fuel pump, which is supposedly the good one. I took the vacuum hose off of where it hooks in to the fuel pump. And it is just dripping on its one, when sitting with the sled not even running!!! Also I take a small screw driver, and put it up the metal vacuum hose on the fuel pump, and you can just see the gas come out. I am at a loss for words on how to describe it. Just very frustrated with this sled. I mean the fuel pump that should be leaking gas, is not now. And the fuel pump that is supposedly good, is leaking gas now. Note, this is with the sled not running, that the gas is leaking out of the bottom fuel pump vacuum hose. Before I even start it, I want to change the motor oil again. I mean 600-800 miles since I changed it when the starter went. I am still keeping an eye on the oil level, I have not noticed it had changed at all. And the motor oil in the oil tank does not smell like gas.

I did not mean to write what I put. Here is what is going on with the bottom fuel pump, which is supposedly the good one. I took the vacuum hose off of where it hooks in to the fuel pump. And it is just dripping on its one, when sitting with the sled not even running!!! Also I take a small screw driver, and put it up the metal vacuum hose on the fuel pump, and you can just see the gas come out. I am at a loss for words on how to describe it. Just very frustrated with this sled. I mean the fuel pump that should be leaking gas, is not now. And the fuel pump that is supposedly good, is leaking gas now. Note, this is with the sled not running, that the gas is leaking out of the bottom fuel pump vacuum hose. Before I even start it, I want to change the motor oil again. I mean 600-800 miles since I changed it when the starter went. I am still keeping an eye on the oil level, I have not noticed it had changed at all. And the motor oil in the oil tank does not smell like gas.

Like I suggested, it is possible that that one single carb is pulling way too much vacuum and maintains the vacuum long enough to pull gas out of the fuel pump after it is shut down? I just don't know.

Did you change the float on this carb? Don't think you changed the needle seat because you'd have to replace the carb. Is it possible that they float is still too high?

Like I suggested, it is possible that that one single carb is pulling way too much vacuum and maintains the vacuum long enough to pull gas out of the fuel pump after it is shut down? I just don't know.

Did you change the float on this carb? Don't think you changed the needle seat because you'd have to replace the carb. Is it possible that they float is still too high?
I have been adjusting the floats, as I wait for my 3 brand new oems to show up. When I get the new floats, I am putting them in and calling it a day for work on the carbs. Check the two images. See how the fuel is just leaking out of the fuel pump? The motor is shut off in the pictures.
2017-02-20 11.56.06.jpg
2017-02-20 11.56.49.jpg

But the same carb keeps showing fuel in the vacuum line correct?

But the same carb keeps showing fuel in the vacuum line correct?
Not sure. I did just get the new fuel pump in the mail today. Going to hook it up to the longer vacuum hose, so I will not need to unplug the center hose as it is the new fuel pump. I will see if the old original one that is not leaking as of right now, will stay that way. If not, will have to buy number 2 fuel pump. How do you go about adjusting the carb, if it is sucking to much air, making the fuel pump leak?

Not sure. I did just get the new fuel pump in the mail today. Going to hook it up to the longer vacuum hose, so I will not need to unplug the center hose as it is the new fuel pump. I will see if the old original one that is not leaking as of right now, will stay that way. If not, will have to buy number 2 fuel pump. How do you go about adjusting the carb, if it is sucking to much air, making the fuel pump leak?

I'm wondering if the float is too high in that one carb and somehow the excess gas is getting from the bowl to the vacuum line. Can it do this.....I have no idea! Can one adjust the amount of vacuum the carb is pulling...again I have no idea.

I'm wondering if the float is too high in that one carb and somehow the excess gas is getting from the bowl to the vacuum line. Can it do this.....I have no idea! Can one adjust the amount of vacuum the carb is pulling...again I have no idea.
I hear you on that, I am confused to. I am going to go out in the garage now, and install the new fuel pump to the center carb. And I will go from there. Will see if it leaks at all, after I run the motor for a little bit. I will let you know how it goes, and what I find out.

The purpose of the vacuum line is to supply a pulse to the pump diagram to create the pumping action, shouldn't have gas there, they are separated from each other. A lot of problems with these diaphragm pumps is the ethenol in the gas.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

The purpose of the vacuum line is to supply a pulse to the pump diagram to create the pumping action, shouldn't have gas there, they are separated from each other. A lot of problems with these diaphragm pumps is the ethenol in the gas.

We know their shouldn't be but one line has fuel in it. The question is how is it getting there?

I would say somehow it is getting past the fuel diaphragm into the vacuum side, maybe tare in pump diaphragm or past a gasket?

I would say somehow it is getting past the fuel diaphragm into the vacuum side, maybe tare in pump diaphragm or past a gasket?

But when he switches the fuel pumps around it'll do it on the other pump, and not the original pump it was doing it on. So that's where I've come down to asking how could fuel be coming up from the carburetor.

Back