• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

stock nytro xtx in cooke city? is it gonna work?

brodie

Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 phazer fx
Planning a trip and one of the sleds we want to bring is a stock 09 nytro xtx with a 1.75 inch back country track to cooke city. My 15 year will be riding it.
Couple questions

Is it gonna work in current form? Will i need to re clutch it? Were not gonna to go crazy like the youtubers he watches but will most likely try to get stuck a couple times. He drives it fine in northern wisconsin and has no problems here, but i think the mountains may be a different animal. thoughts?

It does have yamaha mountain skis on it so plenty of ski up front.

Last edited:

Planning a trip and one of the sleds we want to bring is a stock 09 nytro xtx with a 1.75 inch back country track to cooke city. My 15 year will be riding it.
Couple questions

Is it gonna work in current form? Will i need to re clutch it? Were not gonna to go crazy like the youtubers he watches but will most likely try to get stuck a couple times. He drives it fine in northern wisconsin and has no problems here, but i think the mountains may be a different animal. thoughts?

It does have yamaha mountain skis on it so plenty of ski up front.
I rode my 09 xtx in West Yellowstone and on Togwotee a couple weeks back. Now I didn't do any huge hill climbs but played a little in the deeper stuff and I did ok. I have stock skis which didn't help but the key was keeping the track speed up and the sled moving forward. The mountain skis should make it float a bit better. Does he have a real skid plate on the machine? I highly recommend that as if he hits anything under the snow he can easily take out the oil filter.

I did re-clutch as I was coming from the east coast and 1,400 ft vs 8,000+.

It will get around as long as you stay out of the trees and off the steep and deep. Unfortunately there is a lot of both around Cooke City. The biggest thing to remember is to use gravity to your advantage. If it were me, I would a rent a true mountain sled, at least for part of the time. Big difference out there.

Last edited:

Back