• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Strange Starter issue

micaelaman

Veteran
Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
Sidewinder MTX 162, Arctic Cat M800 HCR
Hello,
I have a strange starter issue. Sometimes the starter will not crank. I have checked the starter relay with a digital mulitmeter and it is working as it suppose to. I have even tried to jump start it with no luck.
The relay clicks and ten fuel pump runs. No error codes.

but, when a wiggle the the crank s bit (turning the primary by hand back and forth) it starts right away.

What do you guys think? bad starter? bad Connection? or could it be crank pos sensor (if there is one)?

It is an Nytro MTX 2008 MCX Turbo 270

the relay clic the bendix come out but it wont turn? if you have to wiggle the primary back and forth to get it to crank over my guess would be the brush in the starter are worn out or there a bad spot on the copper rotor it self pull the starter and inspect it

Last edited:
Can't really tell if the bednix comes out. The relay (on the right side, front of the oil tank) is working. It gives Power to starter when i turn the key to cranking. When i release the key the Power goes away.
One more thing. It seems to work better when the battery is fully charged, with a battery charger or jump Cables.

I will check the conectors to night and order a new starter.

No bendix in these starters. Do not rotate these engines in the reverse direction it can cause internal damage. It could be a bad battery so start with having that load tested. Even if the starter relay clicks it can have corroded internal contact so to eliminate it jump across it's two large terminals. If the starter engages replace the starter relay. If still no start, check battery, relay, starter connection for corrosion and tightness. Also check the battery ground on the engine block near the right front engine mount. If all checks out replace the starter. A starter relay replacement is also recommended any time you change a bad starter.

I have now checked all the connections and cables. All is good.
When i tap on the starter it springs to life, so i strongly suspect that it is giving up.

I will travel to the States next week so i plan to buy a new starter and a new updated relay. Its half the price "over there" :)

X2 Grizz, there is a one way clutch in there, and not a solenoid, to engage the starter motor.

Most likely your starter either has a broken magnet, worn out brushes or a bad section on the armature (more likely the latter). Since the brushes contact many armature sections in one rotation you don't have to rotate the crank far before the next one kicks in thus the "sometimes it does and some times it doesn't" weird operation.

You used to be able to buy new brushes as a Yami part if that's the culprit, but if not, a new starter will fix it.

OTM

It was the starter. One magnet had come lose. The new starter cranks much faster.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

It was the starter. One magnet had come lose. The new starter cranks much faster.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Yup, these starters are crap. Happened to mine and my brothers last season. I put on an aftermarket starter, seems to work fine. I figured it cant be worse than the oem starter.

Back