• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Super Charger Build Updates!!

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
This has been a painful and expensive build...LOL Putting in my 3rd motor but making some drastic changes with the sled.

here is my 1st step... Rear Heat Exchanger :Rockon:

Attachments

• IMG_3901.JPG
    IMG_3901.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_3902.JPG
    IMG_3902.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 796

Yes its the same build sled, not sure other then a heat issue and running to much boost and not enough race gas is why the motors keep going....

my 1st motor, I can understand, bad pump gas and I had someone else driving it that taped it and tossed the motor... sh it happens...

Thought I had it figured out and we dropped down to 8lbs of boost and this time it must have went running long pulls on the rail grade in the UP....may have tossed the rings as it started blowing oil out the vent line....

so I am taking every precaution to get the operating temp down along with head shim to drop pistons pressure...and then bring her back to 10 lbs.

Super Sled said:
Sorry to hear that Mr Sled. Get that awesome machine rebuilt and get her to Hay Days. Just two weeks away!!! ;-)

It will not be at Hay Days. I will be there in the swap area selling parts... no vendor spot this year and no sleds on display.

damn dude, that sux. The head shim will make you good for 10lbs on pump fuel.

I installed that bigger rear cooler right from the beginning. I know they make a difference. At one point, I was going to add a bit more water line in to increase the cooling volume.

I will also be at 10-12lbs this season, if all goes well. Haven't decided between the head shim or the pistons yet. lol

At any rate, hope it all works out this season for ya, tom.

Vince

Damn Tom, I thought we talked about the headshim or low compression pistons a long time ago. Even running low boost with stock compression and the fuel that's out there now your sitting on a time bomb and it sounds like it went off a few times Already. I added the smaller cooler in the back and that was it. Yes i can't sit there and let it idle for a half hour but it stays cool while riding. Vince it's all in how much money you want to spend. If I had the money when i built mine i would've done the pistons for sure. And yes by changing compression you do change alittle of your holeshot.

@Vince. Any luck on selling your stuff?

FLYBYU said:
Damn Tom, I thought we talked about the headshim or low compression pistons a long time ago. Even running low boost with stock compression and the fuel that's out there now your sitting on a time bomb and it sounds like it went off a few times Already. I added the smaller cooler in the back and that was it. Yes i can't sit there and let it idle for a half hour but it stays cool while riding. Vince it's all in how much money you want to spend. If I had the money when i built mine i would've done the pistons for sure. And yes by changing compression you do change alittle of your holeshot.

@Vince. Any luck on selling your stuff?

Its a live and learn situation... it makes me a little mad that I didnt do enough research and listen to the wrong people... should have known...lol

Wow that is a bummer, I would have thrown in the towel after 2 motors. I have been very lucky with mine head shim and I carry Torco and only use it when I have to run 87 because that is all there is. Engine lives on and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I run 10-11 psi.

I haven't even lost a belt, been turn key after the intial growing pains. (~2700 miles boosted running 91 or 87+ torco)

Good luck Tom!

kinger said:
Wow that is a bummer, I would have thrown in the towel after 2 motors. I have been very lucky with mine head shim and I carry Torco and only use it when I have to run 87 because that is all there is. Engine lives on and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I run 10-11 psi.

I haven't even lost a belt, been turn key after the intial growing pains. (~2700 miles boosted running 91 or 87+ torco)

Good luck Tom!

I know I wanted to throw in the towel.... but I just wanted to understand why... it hurts thats for sure. I am hoping the head shim will be good to me as well. With the head shim at 10 lbs does it still pull hard with the lower compression?

I also am going to give the PC V a try with the Auto Tune... looking for some mileage, not sure what controller you are running.

I think it pulls like a frieght train but I havn't ridden one with out a shim and on race fuel. On the dyno though I think the difference is less then 15 hp. Your always in boost from engagement to top speed so if you lose about 15hp from compression it takes about 1.5 psi to make it up down low and anything over 6K rpm and its making 4-6 psi+

Everyone that hops on says its stupid, and I will die from it some day LOL

The low compression does help COLD starts on bagger trips. She whirls right over at -30 below the one morning, it didn't like it for the first 2 mins but it fired!

I run the MPI controller, I'm one of the few with very little issue with it. There is a lean spot about 91 mph crusing so I stay above or below it. Crusing at 70-80mph it runs about 11-12 AFR it bounces around, under WOT its about 11:5. Tad rich but its safe.

I average about 10mpg riding hard I get 7, deep powder about 6mpg, crusing UP I get around 11-12mpg.

I would like more range so I am adding a 5 gal tank by hacking up the seat and trying to hide it all.

I would love to try the PCV if it worked because the sled start doesn't work with the MPI controller but does with the PC.

Good luck, maybe we can ride once and compare would love to get your feedback on mine since you have so much seat time on all yammies.

kinger said:
I think it pulls like a frieght train but I havn't ridden one with out a shim and on race fuel. On the dyno though I think the difference is less then 15 hp. Your always in boost from engagement to top speed so if you lose about 15hp from compression it takes about 1.5 psi to make it up down low and anything over 6K rpm and its making 4-6 psi+

Everyone that hops on says its stupid, and I will die from it some day LOL

The low compression does help COLD starts on bagger trips. She whirls right over at -30 below the one morning, it didn't like it for the first 2 mins but it fired!

I run the MPI controller, I'm one of the few with very little issue with it. There is a lean spot about 91 mph crusing so I stay above or below it. Crusing at 70-80mph it runs about 11-12 AFR it bounces around, under WOT its about 11:5. Tad rich but its safe.

I average about 10mpg riding hard I get 7, deep powder about 6mpg, crusing UP I get around 11-12mpg.

I would like more range so I am adding a 5 gal tank by hacking up the seat and trying to hide it all.

I would love to try the PCV if it worked because the sled start doesn't work with the MPI controller but does with the PC.

Good luck, maybe we can ride once and compare would love to get your feedback on mine since you have so much seat time on all yammies.

Sounds great!! I would love to try yours as well. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated.

Back