• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Super glad I found this site!!

Oldexciter

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
1997 ski-doo mkz 583 Yamaha rx1
It's hard to start but I grew up riding a 340 exciter(1978) and my dad had a 440 (79 I think).. we had a "camp" in cherry creek NY. We had to give it all up after my mom had to have major heart surgery after surgery.. this last winter dad surprised me with an RX1, and an older ski-poop for me to ride. Was an amazing winter so much has changed and god **** they go fast and have thumb warmers, helmet cords holly ####.. We are both Yamaha guys and that's what I'm looking to buy after the summer. Best motor in the biz I honestly have one question, after reading "other" fourms why is there soo much hate towards Yamaha these days? I'm really hoping to come around here and start to figure things out after years.. And hopefully get help when it comes to buy this fall! Just wanted to make my first post I guess...
-oldexciter aka Dustin

Welcome. before any of us tell you which sled would be best for you, we need to know the type of riding you want to do and where. Also your experience level and weight.

It's hard to start but I grew up riding a 340 exciter(1978) and my dad had a 440 (79 I think).. we had a "camp" in cherry creek NY. We had to give it all up after my mom had to have major heart surgery after surgery.. this last winter dad surprised me with an RX1, and an older ski-poop for me to ride. Was an amazing winter so much has changed and god **** they go fast and have thumb warmers, helmet cords holly ####.. We are both Yamaha guys and that's what I'm looking to buy after the summer. Best motor in the biz I honestly have one question, after reading "other" fourms why is there soo much hate towards Yamaha these days? I'm really hoping to come around here and start to figure things out after years.. And hopefully get help when it comes to buy this fall! Just wanted to make my first post I guess...
-oldexciter aka Dustin

Yamaha mfgs high quality 4s snowmobiles with chassis and engines that run trouble free for many 10,000s of miles. 4s are always heavier than 2s by design but 2s buyers always put down the weight of the 4s snowmobile. The Doo 850 is an attempt to offer a 2s that has more mile longeity before rebuild with typical 2s light weight.... a gamble for sure imo. The SW offers 200HP and blows off the 850 which upsets the 2s crowd so they harp on the weight of the 4s. Yamaha has not introduced a new chassis since 2006 but have refined the the deltabox added dampers and singleshot rear skid plus eps which looks to the outsider as little to no change or progress. Yamaha could blow up the 2s sled OEMS by offering a new lighter weight 4s platform BUT they just don't...After 2018 the Apex is done and no one knows what is next until Yamaha tells us what is next. I'm not sure you are observing haters maybe more fustration than anything else since Yamaha is such a capable company all they really need to do is execute and introduce a new 4s platform.
As far as your RX1 you will find everything you need to know about your sled just ask or search.

A lot of the hate for yamaha is the fact they don't listen to the market, they march to beat of their own drum especially with the RX1/Apex. The market says we LOVE motor, we want a lightweight chassis and Yamaha says here is a power steering to make it turn easier, here is a shock on the rear bumper to eliminate some freq that will make your ride more enjoyable, etc. They keep adding weight to offset the weight. Whats funny is that people buying BRAND new $18K 2S sleds seem perfectly OK getting 4-5k out the engines, bending the chassis, etc because its more fun then a big heavy 4S. I must say the other MFGs have sold the weight thing HOOK LINE AND SINKER. Kudos to them. You can make the 4 strokes do ANYTHING a 2 stroke can and more if you want. The information on this site will get you there! They are awesome sleds but not for all the reasons the magazines hype up for the other big 3. Welcome to the site, look for a used apex and you will love it like the rest of us! The modifications are endless to customize into your dream sled. Yamaha's stock aren't nearly as fun as one with some mods, many are durability and many enhance the ride and completely transform it. I consider mine to be a Ferrari on snow, turbo, the 4 cyl sound, INSANE speed on a trail. I absolutely love it. I ride a 2S 800 and it feels like a tippy 440 sled. My group is all Doo etecs usually all brand new or 1 year old (I'm the only one that doesn't trade every year) and many are starting to complain of high speed stability. I fly by them at 130mph on my apex waving at them LOL. I can outride any of them in rough mogul out trail. It is faster, more comfortable, sound like sex, and unique. Still they call mine a fat heavy pig :( That's ok. Have fun!

Last edited:
Welcome Dustin, the people on this site are the best starting at the top. Enjoy the reading.
I agree so far!
welcome to the site :sled1::yam:
thank you, very cool sled you put on your post haha
Welcome. before any of us tell you which sled would be best for you, we need to know the type of riding you want to do and where. Also your experience level and weight.
Im 6'4 220, I ride a lot of tight trails that then bust into open fields(in cherry creek our main ride destination) it's hard to explain because it's kind of all riding rolled into one.. old snow ski hills that have no trails.. then trails that get groomed but have large bumps(if some one could help me out with the term that is used when groomed trails get kinda beat up with sections that seem like rolling bumps that never end) we also ride in the U.P which can be 18 miles straight as a highway and well groomed. Then get tight with hill climbing When I rode the trails in the U.P it was very hard packed but that was end of season rides.

Yamaha mfgs high quality 4s snowmobiles with chassis and engines that run trouble free for many 10,000s of miles. 4s are always heavier than 2s by design but 2s buyers always put down the weight of the 4s snowmobile. The Doo 850 is an attempt to offer a 2s that has more mile longeity before rebuild with typical 2s light weight.... a gamble for sure imo. The SW offers 200HP and blows off the 850 which upsets the 2s crowd so they harp on the weight of the 4s. Yamaha has not introduced a new chassis since 2006 but have refined the the deltabox added dampers and singleshot rear skid plus eps which looks to the outsider as little to no change or progress. Yamaha could blow up the 2s sled OEMS by offering a new lighter weight 4s platform BUT they just don't...After 2018 the Apex is done and no one knows what is next until Yamaha tells us what is next. I'm not sure you are observing haters maybe more fustration than anything else since Yamaha is such a capable company all they really need to do is execute and introduce a new 4s platform.
As far as your RX1 you will find everything you need to know about your sled just ask or search.
Thank you for the info, when my dad got his RX1 he did a lot of research and has been pretty happy. Had one over heating issue (while pulling my ski-poop over hard pack) and with what I have been reading from this site most of his issues will be resolved with new skis and ice rippers. I truly appreciate you putting in the time to write that..
A lot of the hate for yamaha is the fact they don't listen to the market, they march to beat of their own drum especially with the RX1/Apex. The market says we LOVE motor, we want a lightweight chassis and Yamaha says here is a power steering to make it turn easier, here is a shock on the rear bumper to eliminate some freq that will make your ride more enjoyable, etc. They keep adding weight to offset the weight. Whats funny is that people buying BRAND new $18K 2S sleds seem perfectly OK getting 4-5k out the engines, bending the chassis, etc because its more fun then a big heavy 4S. I must say the other MFGs have sold the weight thing HOOK LINE AND SINKER. Kudos to them. You can make the 4 strokes do ANYTHING a 2 stroke can and more if you want. The information on this site will get you there! They are awesome sleds but not for all the reasons the magazines hype up for the other big 3. Welcome to the site, look for a used apex and you will love it like the rest of us! The modifications are endless to customize into your dream sled. Yamaha's stock aren't nearly as fun as one with some mods, many are durability and many enhance the ride and completely transform it. I consider mine to be a Ferrari on snow, turbo, the 4 cyl sound, INSANE speed on a trail. I absolutely love it. I ride a 2S 800 and it feels like a tippy 440 sled. My group is all Doo etecs usually all brand new or 1 year old (I'm the only one that doesn't trade every year) and many are starting to complain of high speed stability. I fly by them at 130mph on my apex waving at them LOL. I can outride any of them in rough mogul out trail. It is faster, more comfortable, sound like sex, and unique. Still they call mine a fat heavy pig :( That's ok. Have fun!
Once again thank you for giving me a ton of info! My camp is a ton of artic cat.. all high end worked on 4 strokes.. when dad starts his sled they all come around and agree it's the best sounding sled period. When he got it off the dealer he asked about maintenance, he said cya around 10k miles to get the valves re done... that's crazy, reading about po pos and ski poops blowing up at 3-4K miles. Dad and I call those sleds hand granandes lol. He also just joined the site and I'm sure he will comment on this when he figures it all out.

If you want to enjoy some reading go the garage part of this forum and read about peoples build thread. Specifically RXrider's garage thread, it has to be hundreds of pages long but he has put a index in the first few posts to help people get to exactly what they want. He is a talented sled mechanic AND writer/photographer. Pictures in his thread are worth a million words. Good luck!

If you want to enjoy some reading go the garage part of this forum and read about peoples build thread. Specifically RXrider's garage thread, it has to be hundreds of pages long but he has put a index in the first few posts to help people get to exactly what they want. He is a talented sled mechanic AND writer/photographer. Pictures in his thread are worth a million words. Good luck!
I'll def check it out, still getting use to the Fourm and exploring all the categories!

Back