• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Taking skid out

wacnstac

Pro
I've borrow a sled lift, however I don't think it will be real valuable in getting the skid in and out. It will be in the way. Anybody have experience doing this on a venture? I really don't want to do the "tip the sled on its side trick" if I can avoid it.

I've borrow a sled lift, however I don't think it will be real valuable in getting the skid in and out. It will be in the way. Anybody have experience doing this on a venture? I really don't want to do the "tip the sled on its side trick" if I can avoid it.

For your first time, you can loosen the track and that will help get the skid out the side. I would winch the rear of the sled up so its just above the ground maybe an 1/2 inch. Start pulling bolts from the rear and then move the front and the skid should fall to the ground.

I rigged up a strap style boat trailer winch on the ceiling of my garage. Works great to jack it up.

Getting the skid out isn't so bad. Getting it back in is another story. I use a ratchet strap to compress the rear of the suspension so the rear bolts will align with the holes on the sled.

You mean that thing with the long handle and hooks? Like this:
s-l1000.jpg

Never had much luck with those and they don't lift high enough. And they also get in the way while working.

my best luck is not with a lift or the bumper lift above, I just bumper strapped to ceiling then nothing is in the way helps to lay a piece of pipe/wood across inside of track to hold the rail above the drive knobs on the inside of track and it will slide out with out to much hassle.

Oh yes. It is also bolted from inside the tunnel.

Can the bumper take the weight of lifting the sled? I mean it is basically just riveted to the tunnel.
yep done it for years. Remember your just tipping the weight to the skis not truly lifting the sled.
Yamadoo

Skid is out. Hyfax are off and new ones ordered. How does one know if Bogie wheels are ok. None of mine show excessive slop or wear on the wheels themselves. Almost none of mine will freely spin if I roll them with my hand. I don't know if they should. There are no signs of grinding that would give away a bad bearing.

If they look and feel OK, then reuse them. I think you can regrease them using a needle grease attachment but I never had a chance to do that before they died. If you need/want replacements, check out the Yamaha accessory wheels that have replaceable bearing. Much cheaper than stock too.

Back