• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DJsTuffMods

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX-1
I recently purchased what i thought was being sold as an M20 Airwave? I was also told this came out of an SRX Viper and supposedly the mounting kit that's on this will work for my RX1 which i did agree with as it also had the Pro action skid... However, after going through the forums and reading the installation instructions which say, "M-10 universal mount kit instructions 7/10.2008" and a template that matched the Expert X skid install from another post, seeing the rubber stops on the rails that i have, more searching came into play and now I'm starting to think this is an M10 with the booster kit.. which is making it an M-20 Airwave..? I also have a separate "airwave diamond suspension instructions" and a separate "Assault shock manual". So i am not sure how to go about installing this.. I noticed several write ups where the M-10 and M-20 holes are different..? That being said, I'm confused with what i have and i am very hesitant with this install per its instructions.... Do I proceed with and follow per the M10 instructions for what i assume is an M-10 with a booster kit installed? :o| Here is where i have been so far.. and the ExpertX instructions match the instructions and template that i currently have.. http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Airwave/Airwaveinstall.htm http://www.totallyamaha.com/ExpertX_M10/M-10Install_Pro.htm
20161123_224701 (1280x720) (1280x720).jpg
20161123_230339 (1280x720).jpg
20161123_225829 (720x1280).jpg
20161123_224701 (1280x720) (1280x720).jpg
20161123_230339 (1280x720).jpg
20161123_225829 (720x1280).jpg
20170104_195328 (1280x720).jpg

Does anyone know if there is a write up for the installation of an m10 or M20 Airwave for an RX1? I also tried to track down a pdf of the M20 but no luck there either.

you have purchased an m-20. If you go to the TY home page there is a link to product reviews. Mr.Sled installed an m-20 in his apex ltx. Also toward the bottom of the product review page there is a write-up on installing an m-10 in a rx 1. The difference with the airwave you bought is that it uses the torque arms for the front mounting points. If you did or didn't buy this from Fast i would call the tech number and talk to Brian.

you have purchased an m-20. If you go to the TY home page there is a link to product reviews. Mr.Sled installed an m-20 in his apex ltx. Also toward the bottom of the product review page there is a write-up on installing an m-10 in a rx 1. The difference with the airwave you bought is that it uses the torque arms for the front mounting points. If you did or didn't buy this from Fast i would call the tech number and talk to Brian.

Call Brian......great guy!

Couldn't find a product review page on the home page . Searched "M-20", Mr Sled in the forum and couldn't find a write up. If the sled i have is an M-20 why are the rubber bumpers installed on it (is it necessary? ) Why would the installation instructions be for an M-10, is there not seperate instructions made up for an M-20?

Couldn't find a product review page on the home page . Searched "M-20", Mr Sled in the forum and couldn't find a write up. If the sled i have is an M-20 why are the rubber bumpers installed on it (is it necessary? ) Why would the installation instructions be for an M-10, is there not seperate instructions made up for an M-20?
You have to go to totallyamaha.com it is the page with banners. I am sorry I'm don't know how to post it for you. The instructions for an m-10 and m-20 are similar. You did purchase an m-20. Did you buy this privately? As for the instructions both suspensions are alike in the geometry the only real difference is the rear mounts because of the air bag on the rear arm. As for the rubber bumpers they are needed on the m-20 I blew out a rear air bag one night those blocks keep the upper cross shaft from hitting the rails which are the same m-10 and the m-20. Brian is a great guy to talk to if you need help with install. Elton

One more point and Brian will be able to help. The universal mounting kit uses the torque arms on the upper front cross shaft. They are a pain to work with when installing. It is probably possible to gets longer upper shaft and not have to drill two extra holes in the tunnel. Also if you ever plan on running extrovert drivers you will need to move the front mounting location back about one inch.

DJ, you definitely have M20 rear arm components there. I find your question about the rubber bumpers interesting, as neither of my M20's have them, while my older 151" M10 does. I wouldn't be too alarmed by this though, as Fast may have simply removed the bumpers at some point.

I can't tell for sure from the pic, but I do not think you have an M10 with an M20 booster conversion. Look at the slot on your rails where the rear shock attaches. Does it appear as if the shock shaft bolt and aluminum block (on outside of rail) have been slid back and forth in the past, or does it look like its always been fixed in the same position at the rear of the slot? I ask because; an M10 uses this slot to change the angle of the rear shock for varying conditions, whereas an M20 is fixed and does not adjust here. I think there would be some mild scarring on the rail in this location if the skid began life as an M10. At the same time, however, you have M10 instructions, verses M20 airwave?? This is where you need to be cautious because M10 and M20 front arms mount in different locations. I also know that Fast has revised the mounting location of an M20 rear arm on some sleds.

As mentioned above, I would start by calling Team Fast and have a tape measure ready in case they need you to verify some dimensions on the skid and/or sled. I also think you will need a different mounting kit and revised installation instructions. While the Vipers and early RX1's both used the Pro Action skid, they had different tunnels.

I would also have your shocks refreshed for your particular sled, riding style and body weight. Inquire about having the shocks updated to the latest Platinum spec. This will delete the front airspring.

That is an M-10 that someone added the M-20 kit to. M-20 rails did not come with the bump stops and there is nowhere to mount them, nothing wrong with that setup though. I run the an M10 with the M-20 parts and it works fine

You will need to get the RX-1 install kit from fast which is a new front shaft that will mount in the rivet hole above your stock front suspension hole. Then you can locate the rear mount using the template you got that's bolted to the skid in the pictures.

I have an early m-20 and mine came with the bumpers. They must have changed them since 07. The rails of my m-20 are the same as my 2001 m-10 in an srx.

But did your instructions come with M10 or M20?
The PDF file on fasts web site shows following instructions for m-10 to page 4 #4 then using m-20 instructions for rear arm and air hose. Like I said my suspension was a very early build they have changed alot in the years but the ride is incredible. And well worth the effort. I don't want you to take this the wrong way but Brian is very helpful. You can send him a picture and he could tell exactly what you have.

DJ, you definitely have M20 rear arm components there. I find your question about the rubber bumpers interesting, as neither of my M20's have them, while my older 151" M10 does. I wouldn't be too alarmed by this though, as Fast may have simply removed the bumpers at some point.

I can't tell for sure from the pic, but I do not think you have an M10 with an M20 booster conversion. Look at the slot on your rails where the rear shock attaches. Does it appear as if the shock shaft bolt and aluminum block (on outside of rail) have been slid back and forth in the past, or does it look like its always been fixed in the same position at the rear of the slot? I ask because; an M10 uses this slot to change the angle of the rear shock for varying conditions, whereas an M20 is fixed and does not adjust here. I think there would be some mild scarring on the rail in this location if the skid began life as an M10. At the same time, however, you have M10 instructions, verses M20 airwave?? This is where you need to be cautious because M10 and M20 front arms mount in different locations. I also know that Fast has revised the mounting location of an M20 rear arm on some sleds.

As mentioned above, I would start by calling Team Fast and have a tape measure ready in case they need you to verify some dimensions on the skid and/or sled. I also think you will need a different mounting kit and revised installation instructions. While the Vipers and early RX1's both used the Pro Action skid, they had different tunnels.

I would also have your shocks refreshed for your particular sled, riding style and body weight. Inquire about having the shocks updated to the latest Platinum spec. This will delete the front airspring.
NORTHERNSLEDDER Thank you..I was hoping you would see this thread... Its always a pleasure reading anything you write as i have read many of your threads and post's.... your work is OUTSTANDING! You answered my question to the best of your knowledge and understood the reason i asked. As soon as i get home later im going to check that rear shock for movement! I would love to contact fast and do the update however im on a tight budget right now.. I feel if i even contact Fast for help or advice they will try to sell me something that i would probably end up buying and in return my wife would tear me a new one!

The PDF file on fasts web site shows following instructions for m-10 to page 4 #4 then using m-20 instructions for rear arm and air hose. Like I said my suspension was a very early build they have changed alot in the years but the ride is incredible. And well worth the effort. I don't want you to take this the wrong way but Brian is very helpful. You can send him a picture and he could tell exactly what you have.
This makes sense.. I have that second instructions sheet. Did you do the install yourself following the M10 instructions? Im gonna send teamfast some pictures, details of what i have and leave my contact information so they can call me at there convenience.

Back