• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tether install

TURBLUE

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder MTX
I bought this tether...anyone know which wires it needs to be tied into in the sidewinder?
51096809109__10BD11AC-851B-4AF8-8F1E-6227D4612A14_zpsqdadfzq2.jpg

Well the first thing that you need to find out is if the tether switch you have is NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed). NO models need to be wired in using a relay to make it work on the closed circuit system used by Yamaha. So of course that would mean that the NC version of the switch would simply be a plug and play (if you have the connectors), or a simple in-line installation on the wire for the current kill switch on the machine.

I believe it's NC. With the clip out the switch is close ...clip in open...yeah figured just tie in series with the kill switch. So closed loop to kill the power

In addition, be aware that because the tether shown in the picture appears to be designed for an outboard engine, that it will also act as a kill switch if it the same as most outboard styles out there. Even with the tether attached, if you push on the red button on the end, it will stop the engine. Although it will not function exactly the same as the factory kill switch, it will stop the engine as long as the button is pushed. Those styles are typically spring loaded so if the lanyard is attached, it may affect the operation on the machine depending on where it is mounted. For example, if it is mounted close to something such as a handlebar/windshield bag, on rough terrain it may cause the engine to momentary shutdown if the bag comes in contact with the switch. Yeah I know, highly unlikely, but just something to be aware of.

Good to know. The Yamaha dealer sold it to me ...said that's what they use. I will test it and see

I believe that may be wrong. I believe the circuit is closed when the lanyard is installed. Normally closed for a tether/kill switch is usually with the lanyard installed. When it is activated (lanyard pulled) then it is not in "normal" state, so that would mean the circuit is now open.

I have a normally closed tether on both my yammie's and they are NC when the lanyard is in place and NO when the lanyard is pulled. Both these were wired in series without the use of a relay.

Back