• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tethered kill switches, What are you using?

i have a roll over valve. bought it because i've rolled the sled off banks into deep snow, or pull it over too far when carving. bought it from fourstrokesolutionsllc.com. a tether itself is very important. i cant even drive a mile without it, it feels the same as a seat belt, its on, but you forget about it haha, and its habbit to put it on. a killswitch itself will save the motor (and your friends if you have a runaway sled) but a roll over valve will stop you from losing oil.

i honestly do not know why yamaha does not come with a tether. i ride with mostly doo's, and all their tethers are wrapped around the handlebars. everyone should wear one. its for yours and everyone elses safety as well

x2
Even a flatlander like me has used my the fourstroke solutions rollover valve more than once!

I do not like the actual tether switch used though.Mine has not worked a few times in testing after sitting for summer.Needed a few activations to get it to work right.I am planning to replace the switch part of the kit with a Pingle which I have been using on my other toys for many years without any issues.They are one of the few normally closed tethers out there and all metal.
http://www.pingelonline.com/kill_switches.htm

Those pingels got some bling. Nice parts. I've got a couple of ideas for a
roll over valve that are mechanical not electrical. Not interested in complicating things that don't need to be. Although bolt it on and go is tempting.

Plenty of those available for race car fuel vents. You can't use one way though, has to be a breather with a roll over check ball. Could stick with oil as most are made for gas. The check ball needs to be heavy.

The pro armor is a normally open tether. Not a good
choice for the ECU. I have been looking at the MPS
but still need a roll over valve to accompany it.

What exactly do mean? Why is there a problem with the pro armor even if its normally open?

Guys have been using the pro armor tethers with roll over valves for years now.
I never heard about any problems..

If it is grounding the ignition instead of opening it It's
not a healthy way to do it for the electronics. The kill
switch opens the ignition. Maybe through a relay it
does just that. 2 strokes generally ground out the ignition to kill the engine, four strokes generally cut
the power to the ignition.

maier makes both styles....normal open, and normal closed. I have both styles on my quads. They are cheap and simple, and have had no issues in 7 years.

Roadrider said:
If it is grounding the ignition instead of opening it It's
not a healthy way to do it for the electronics. The kill
switch opens the ignition. Maybe through a relay it
does just that. 2 strokes generally ground out the ignition to kill the engine, four strokes generally cut
the power to the ignition.

I agree with you that grounding the ECU is a bad choice for the electronics on the Yamaha 4 strokes.

However, our tether uses a switching relay to turn off the ignition and control the roll over valve. It does NOT ground out the ECU.

Thanks Scott. I gave the wiring some thought last night and can see it's pretty simple to have the grounding type tether switch the relay from one set of closed contacts to another set to close the roll over valve, while opening the first set to kill the motor.

Back