• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This is getting old.

Joe I personally have ridden with a former SnoX racer who owns a Sidewinder. He cant get his over 115mph but he has 2500 very hard mi on it and has never blown the stock 8JP belt. There has to be something wrong.

Joe I understand the frustration.. What helix you running?
I still feel like the blowers are from the belt whipping and hanging up.. I also feel VERY strong about having more helix angle in the secondary..I managed 2300 and the last 1000 or so were amazing .. I know not all are identical, but when I went with more helix (straight 38) and went back to 3/3 everything was great.. And I seriously ran it hard and fast.. And I have a witness (850 DOO) that has seen my skis lift off while doing 75 mph.. And carried. 137 coupled.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to push the dealer for more help.

If that doesn't work I'll try different helix and maybe clutch springs.
I really didn't think I would have these issues.

Joe I understand the frustration.. What helix you running?
I still feel like the blowers are from the belt whipping and hanging up.. I also feel VERY strong about having more helix angle in the secondary..I managed 2300 and the last 1000 or so were amazing .. I know not all are identical, but when I went with more helix (straight 38) and went back to 3/3 everything was great.. And I seriously ran it hard and fast.. And I have a witness (850 DOO) that has seen my skis lift off while doing 75 mph.. And carried. 137 coupled.
Was this helix that you tested at stock power level? With stock weights? I found with my sled completely stock 38 was to much finish angle. I was wrapped 6/1 in the secondary. I didn't have a chance to try different weights as I was catching the last ride of the season.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to push the dealer for more help.

If that doesn't work I'll try different helix and maybe clutch springs.
I really didn't think I would have these issues.

I agree fully, the last thing I was worried about when buying this sled was blowing belts and or clutch problems. Yamaha clutches have been bulletproof for years and I do mean years, all the way back to my 1984 phaser. Just legendary! It ends HERE, that much I know, wat too many complaints..

As far as a Maine dealer having a fix?
Spoke with dealer wat up North, his comments were, Yamaha needs to figure out their clutch problem on the 2017 Winders.

Other dealer closer to my home claims to have a fix but it involves .070 machine secondary spring pocket deeper, and Machine primary sheaves for overdrive, that is part of his low cost power up kit as advertised on Craigslist. I did not think Yamaha Paid for that though unless something has changed since We spoke 1 month ago. He did not agree with clutch problem though, said only people with tunes are blowing belts. So not sure who you are looking for Steve?? He may have changed his mind with time and rides since.

Boosted - TD eco. trail . TD turbo force can..Heavy hitter weights(58 gram base)

Straight 38 helix, thunder weights, YLW/GRN/YLW primary spring with glide washers.. secondary pocket machined, stock spring wrapped @ 3/3. 8dn..
HH thunder weights have 3/4 slug in heel, aluminum 3/8 (0.9) grams in middle, 7/16 steel and two thin washers in tip.. 9000-9100 on the punch - settles at 8500-8600-climbs to 8800.. This is on hard pack trail with 192 studs, TD eco trail flash, stock gears, speedo... 117-121 on trails. Saw 127 hard pack road .. 111 at 3/4 throttle same road. And actually I went back a day later and they plowed it so just hard pack. I do not think most would believe my speedo reading. I will say I was scary fast.. And out of gear.. Did not GPS my speedo.. So take it with a grain of salt

Was this helix that you tested at stock power level? With stock weights? I found with my sled completely stock 38 was to much finish angle. I was wrapped 6/1 in the secondary. I didn't have a chance to try different weights as I was catching the last ride of the season.
Yes I agree with your observations.. 38 is to much for a stocker.. BUT it has to do with your weights also.. I beleive some might have success with more helix angle with diff weights(NOT STOCK Weights).. IMO 38 or 39 for boosted and 36 or 37 stockers.. But the stock weights need to go. And actually I was 6/1 alot this lasy year but went back to 3/3 with the steeper helix the last 1000 miles or so

Yes I agree with your observations.. 38 is to much for a stocker.. BUT it has to do with your weights also.. I beleive some might have success with more helix angle with diff weights(NOT STOCK Weights).. IMO 38 or 39 for boosted and 36 or 37 stockers.. But the stock weights need to go. And actually I was 6/1 alot this lasy year but went back to 3/3 with the steeper helix the last 1000 miles or so
I agree with you and I totally believe those speeds I've seen 115 on the speedo on just a decent trail totally stock. I guess so far I'm one of the lucky ones I haven't blow a belt yet. I also only have 650 miles on it but lots of super aggressive riding and plenty of wide open burst up to a mile or so. My primary seem to run hotter than my secondary by feel. When I tried a 44/38 helix with everything stock I lost about a 1000 rpm on top with 6/1 wrap. Otherwise that helix would be a wicked drag race helix.

if the belts are snapping ,its a too short of a belt,binding ,or alignment .I f the belt is comming apart it's a heat issue in the clutches .Which is it ?The gates ,with the tp 33/35 helix works real good with the tp weights .If your still using the stk clutch set up ,what rpm are you turning ?I your having a hard time making or staying around 9k rpm ,there's 1 issue .

I will just say this. I have pounded on my sled since it's had 30 miles on it. Has about 1100 miles on the stock belt. Took it out of the trailer after a day of riding and like a moron after about a half a mile realized the E-brake was on, DOH! thing was billowing smoke. Said F it, I'll kill this belt, I had some access trails to open up in 2+ feet of snow up some steep hills and pounded on it again. I mean i had this thing wide open ripping these trails within minutes of the belt smoldering and needless to say the belt is still on the sled and upon inspection looks just fine. I checked my Primary spring and although it has some minor signs of rubbing on the sides it seems fine. I really think these clutches are hit or miss for some reason.

What I'm saying is , if I buy a brand new sled and it has belt blowing issues the company should help me out.

If my r6 blows the chain off every 1000 miles something would be done about it!!

No doubt! This reminds me of 2012 Cat secondary/ clutching .. Damn I really thought the THREE rollers would be better then the two roller back then.. I seen alot of the same issues with my sled as back then.. yami better step up for 18.. Hell all they have to do is start reading on this thread! And others similar

Back