• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tips & Tricks - Let's Share

YamBam

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder LTX-LE 2018
Hey, the riding seasons is over. lets share some tips, tricks and ideas for doing maintenance and upgrades. Here is one to start the discussion.
09' Nitro XTX.
When you need to replace wheels or bearings on the rear axle without removing the skid, it can be a real knuckle buster to reinstall the axle through the wheels, rails, collars/spacers and washers. It is much easier if you zip tie the track to the slides through a track window to stop the track from rotating and then use a racket strap inside the track to pull the top of the track back toward the rear axle. With the axle and rear wheels removed, this will basically keep the track in position as if the wheels were there. Makes putting the rear axle and wheels back together much easier. Tidbit #1 - the bolts on the track adjusters are slightly bent. If they are installed wrong the bolt will not line up with the track window, you will need to rotate the adjuster 180 degrees and reinstall. Tidbit #2 - Don't forget to remove the zip tie and ratchet strap before attempting to ride your sled next winter. Sled will run much better.:jump:

Please share your tips & tricks. Thanks

Good tip's! I put a short piece of 2x4 (3'-4') on a floor jack and bring it up under the skid with sled on the stand to eliminate sag.

Last edited:
Summer?? LOL These pics were taken Sunday!

Attachments

• 11037761_10153184266443162_6005671395798359160_n.jpg
    11037761_10153184266443162_6005671395798359160_n.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 11090840_10152713717535976_4698477835257104825_o.jpg
    11090840_10152713717535976_4698477835257104825_o.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 157
Summer?? LOL These pics were taken Sunday!
Ya ya. Stop bragging. :ot:

I share most of my tips and tricks when replying to threads. Others that I come up with can be found either in the Mod Results or in the 4stroke Garage section.
Not sure one could easily navigate one thread for all possible tips as this site covers a multitude of sled chassis.
Maybe if enough interest was generated Tips and Tricks could have its own section on here with subsections like Apex, Nytro,etc..

Good idea tho ;)!

When I replace the 3 back wheels or bearings I use a broom handle. I loosen the track and simple push the axial out with the wooden handle when its all the way throw you can do the right side wheel when simple push the wood out with the axial and so on. Use the wood and axial together to keep everything lined up. No trying to line up anything change all three wheels in a matter of minutes takes longer to realign the track. I put a chamfer on the end of the wood I push the axial out with and most brooms handles are very close to the same size. If you have a spear axial that would be even better. Middle wheel axial on one side wood on the other holding the spacers pull the wheel out put the new one in hold the wheel push the axial throw pushing the broom handle out. SLICK

Ok my turn to contribute since my last post was selfish, lol

Tip for anyone needing to replace the rubber swell nuts for your windshield...you can buy them in a pkg of 5 part # ATV-WND20-HD-WR for $12, the dealer wanted $9 each for the nytro part number.

I'll bite! Heres my tip. I fixed a 12" crack in the plastic of a belly pan with Shoe Goo.
That was 8 years ago and it's still holding up. The Shoe Goo is much more flexible when cured than epoxy.
2017-04-07 06.54.59.jpg

Last edited:
Might have to try that on my track. Have a few spots where the idler wheels run where you can see fibreglass. Did not want to replace track because of this.

When I replace the 3 back wheels or bearings I use a broom handle. I loosen the track and simple push the axial out with the wooden handle when its all the way throw you can do the right side wheel when simple push the wood out with the axial and so on. Use the wood and axial together to keep everything lined up. No trying to line up anything change all three wheels in a matter of minutes takes longer to realign the track. I put a chamfer on the end of the wood I push the axial out with and most brooms handles are very close to the same size. If you have a spear axial that would be even better. Middle wheel axial on one side wood on the other holding the spacers pull the wheel out put the new one in hold the wheel push the axial throw pushing the broom handle out. SLICK

I used the same approach but instead of a broom handle I used a piece of metal conduit tapered at one end.

I used the same approach but instead of a broom handle I used a piece of metal conduit tapered at one end.

Do you know how many new words my 10 year old son would NOT have learned if I used this trick last December!!

Back