• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To trade or not to trade??

jaydaniels

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX
Well, always had Yamaha and decided to try out an 800 etec last year. Sled has a great chassis but the engine went on me during a trip to Quebec. Looking to get back into a Yamaha 4 stroke and have an opportunity to trade even for a 2010 Nytro that has the 180 mpi Turbo on it and 5500 miles. My sled is a 2013 800 etec with 6000 miles. Figure that's a good trade?? The MPIs reliable?

6000 milles on a etec and the Engine blow ? They r supposed to last more than 6000
Mi last Yamaha had a mpi suppercharged and no issue but wiht the gems tunner it was horrible on gaz i do have now a nytro with the powercommander and auto tune and it works great so i figure pro charger and a good piggy back and it should be very reliable and good on fuel

My only comparison is my 09' XTX and a buddies 08' Renegade PTEK. Speed wise we traded wins on the lake 0-90 mph, whoever hooked up better won by a couple sled lengths. He runs a 1.25 Ripsaw with studs and I run a 1.75 Backcountry. I was actually surprised my Nytro did so well! I honestly like my throttle response and overall setup better, but he can sure walk me in the twisties... I'm still trying to get my setup right in those conditions, working on my hard steering... Side note, we've ridden a handful of times together in the last 4 years and 3 of those rides he was using my tools to fix his sled trail side. :yam:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. At this point I'm mostly concerned with reliability and retaining some value in the machine I trade for. I think the Nytro would be a more reliable machine for sure. Do you think 2010 Nytro with a turbo would be equal in value to a 2013 800 etec. Both around 6000 miles.

Absolutely! A 2 stroke with 6000miles drastically reduces its resale. Doesnt hinder the yammie resale at all. Youd be into a bottom and top end on the doo. Ouch.

You got lucky on your Doo, most that are ridden hard , don't make it past 3500 miles without a top end rebuild.

Thanks for the feedback. At this point I'm mostly concerned with reliability and retaining some value in the machine I trade for. I think the Nytro would be a more reliable machine for sure. Do you think 2010 Nytro with a turbo would be equal in value to a 2013 800 etec. Both around 6000 miles.

As pedros83 said I think your reliability and resale with that mileage (and more) will be much better with the Nytro because its a 4 stroke. It will be a very different sled, but I think you'd be getting the better long term sled out of the deal if you plan on keeping it for a while.

As with any sled, the more miles it has the more preventative maintenance or lack there of will show up. I'd ask about the history of the sled. Common maintenance items up to 6,000 miles (outside of oil changes/lubrication and shocks) should include things like exhaust donuts, front end bushings, spindle bushings, solid state relays, clutch wear items, etc. These things aren't hard to do, but it would be easy to stick $600 in to maintenance items if these haven't been done yet. I'd also check out the front subframe. If you see any creases in the factory "gusset" plate you should try to bargin a bit. Luckily I caught mine early so it was just a slight tweak to get things back straight and now with the Grizz gusset kit in I should be good to go for a long time.

All said and done, if the Nytro is is decent condition I would go for it.

6000 milles on a etec and the Engine blow ? They r supposed to last more than 6000
Mi last Yamaha had a mpi suppercharged and no issue but wiht the gems tunner it was horrible on gaz i do have now a nytro with the powercommander and auto tune and it works great so i figure pro charger and a good piggy back and it should be very reliable and good on fuel
Some go for quite awhile, but many go around 5000. You'll notice as these sled break 4000 miles the price drastically drops. If it was me I would be making the trade. If you just did a top end rebuild the crank is probably right around the corner.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies. If it's in decent shape I'll jump on it. Turbo should make it fun.

Back