• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

thor452

Because I can
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
I went and did it I am now the proud owner of a MPI super charger and am excited to get started with the install. I will be pulling from the tallent on this site as im sure i will need some advise from time to time. Thank in advance. If I can figure out the posting of the pics i will do my best to share the install on here as i think it will be a good read and will prompt plenty of advise along the way.

Now you've done it - once you go boost you'll never go back!!! anything else from here on in will be as boring as driving your mother dodge Omni!

thats what they say im sure i will get the bug and that is a great terrible thing lol.

Thanks bounty Lookinf foreward to the build. and of course the ride but first the build.

Thanks Tom i am still getting all the parts and pieces together then I have to find the time in this busy summer of absolute fun we are having as a family too. How much time do you think it will take to do the install if I brought it by could we knock it out in a weekend?

You are now ruined forever. Any other sled will feel like a 340cc and you will be bored stiff on! A boosted apex in Wi trails is a adrenaline rush both in the raw power but also an exercise in restraint to learn how to tame the beast before it kills you haha! I normally ride at 1/8 throttle but every once in a while on those tight trails I'll go a 1/4 throttle for a split second coming out of a corner and it reminds she is waiting to kill me. Drop out on a lake and blast OFF! Its SO much fun. Enjoy!!

Thanks Tom i am still getting all the parts and pieces together then I have to find the time in this busy summer of absolute fun we are having as a family too. How much time do you think it will take to do the install if I brought it by could we knock it out in a weekend?

Yes it will be done easily in a weekend.

Now kinger this is going to be a trail tamer set up not anywhere near what you have done yet. in a couple years hopefuly when the 60th anaversary apex with factory turbo comes out I will be able to get that as my everyday rider and them boost the heck out of this one. I am getting the fuel system and alot of other extras so when the time is right i will need injectors and pull motor for rods pistons and shim.

I assume your talking about a light 5-6psi stage 1 to start, then "boosting the heck" out of it means 10-11psi? Non-Race sled more trail sled right?

If so here is my story. I looked long and hard are 'stepping' into boost and in the end just said I want to set the sled up for max power on 91 gas. I know the costs and install hassles of a shim, but I am so glad I did that versus trying to step into lightly. (ie a 5-6 psi bolt on, then later going fuel pump and shim to get 10-11 psi)

Going fully built engine isn't required unless you plan to really start playing with big power, racing, etc. In fact I wouldn't even consider it now that I have had mine boosted on a shim for 4 years. Since the shim was installed and SC pullied for 10-11psi I have been able to focus my time elsewhere on the sled and improving reliability, looks, and comfort vs doing that a stage 1, then throwing that all out and doing it all over at stage 2, etc. My advice is pick your fuel you can run and want to run, and set up for max boost for that right out of the gate. I know I make a boosted sled sound scary that's because it is! However everyone on here, just by being here, on these boards is smarter then the average bear and has a good head. You will figure out how to ride at 1/8 throttle and when you need or want more...just squeeze :) Don't be scared to jump into a max boost for the fuel you picked mode, put the costs to paper and you will be surprised its not a TON of added cost relatively speaking. You have a nice apex and bought a SC so you have some disposable income so don't say it costs to much :)

We are all budget minded but if your future plans call for it, make it happen now and use the time between the present and the 'possible future' to tweak and fine tune the sled and how it runs. I used to be very gun shy taking it on trips with all brand new Doo's. Everyone had NEW gear and my sled is almost 10 years old and I literally ride it has hard as my 37 yr old body will let me, but with proper maintenance and good advice from here and shops like Ulmer the sled has been bulletproof and I have towed in more "new Doos" then should be allowed for new toys!

Like I said either way your ruined, and on a completely new level of sledding. Nothing OEM will come close. I don't get to casually race a lot as people seem scared of my sled for some reason but I got the opportunity to race a 1100T cat on hyjacker and race fuel making 275hp (the one OEM sled I thought could compete) and I blew by him like he was sitting still, seriously thought he hit the brakes (He said it was clean but I think he ran out of gear or something), not once, not twice, but three times. Same day I rode 211 miles, next day rode 30 miles bar hopping on the lake and never went over 50mph and it was happy to lope around, next day rode 220 miles. I never popped the hood, never had a stutter, it just started in sub zero temps, ran like a swiss watch, and is the PERFECT trail sled for the speed and adrenaline junkies. I respect the racers with big turbos and pushing the envelope but its hard to make a trail sled fast, comfortable, and reliable. Usually you can't have all 3, however a 10-11 psi boosted apex is the exception. Have fun!!

:)thanks buddy I have read you whole build and is the reason i wanted to go SC and was lucky to be the first one to tell sheetwright that I wanted his SC so I have the larger fuel pump and all the pulleys I have Ulmer on standby to setup the clutch I have the gems and I also now have the PCV with auto tune and am prety well certain i will use the PCV although it seems as you have done well with the gems. I have the af gauge and boost gauge the blower is brand new in the box from a waranty claim. I got 3 large cans of torco I plan to run 91 octane as i always had to with this sled anyways. well you dont have to but it is a difference with the newer ones so I always did when I could. I dont plan on studding as i have a perstudded track 1" paddles and it has a little troublebeing able to spin the track in the corners now. I am going with the wrp seat waiting for that to come in in the mail and am going to add a heat element to that. I am going to have the shocks redone as they are tired. I really dont want to open a perfectly good motor just to add more hores power at this time. and yes once this is all paid back down as i redid the loan on the sled for the funds I plan to get a new sled and keep this one and set it up for race gas and maybe even drag racing. I am very capable of taking anything apart and putting it back together and have most of the needed tools except clutch work i have no tools or knowledge on that. I am how ever lucky to live with in an hour of Mr. Sled and he has invited me over and I bet he has tools for that. I need to get a temp gauge for the oil and maybe the sled too. Im sure i have missed a thing or two. I wonder if Tom has done a shim before and how he feels about us doing one on here then maybe I will. After reading all 1200 pages of Jan Orv's build I would love to have him do the motor work but I dont want to pay for his plane ride over. in the end I want to still have a sled that I can go out turn the key and ride all day every day with my 4 weeks of vacation I take during the season. that is what is keeping me from going up to 10-11 I cant afford to replace the motor if it goes and I dont want to open the hood for anything but showing off all season if possible.

Back