• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Is it okay to put a self tapping screw or two into the bulkhead.

i could drill and tap and lock tight if you that would be better. just didnt know if it would affect the structure.

i could drill and tap and lock tight if you that would be better. just didnt know if it would affect the structure.

That is not going to give you many threads drilling and tapping. It will not hurt the structure unless you are to close to the edge of the cast. I would go to Menard's and get a threaded insert tool and inserts for $20.. it crimps in like a rivet.

sounds good cant see it right now is it poss to thru bolt it there? or is it blocked on the back side?

491632d1290607928-front-belly-pan-air-ducts-installation-question-rivenut.jpg

1916.jpg

thanks for the pics. I have seen them before my experiance with them was they were weak but that was in sheet metal not a thicker area like this so if you say they work ill prolly give them a try then. one time i used them it was for a mirror on a truck door and the just kept coming out after a month or less but that was thin sheet metal door skin and was 15 years ago I bet they are beter at making them by now too.

thanks for the pics. I have seen them before my experiance with them was they were weak but that was in sheet metal not a thicker area like this so if you say they work ill prolly give them a try then. one time i used them it was for a mirror on a truck door and the just kept coming out after a month or less but that was thin sheet metal door skin and was 15 years ago I bet they are beter at making them by now too.

The key is the correct hole size and tight crimp... but they are not good long leverage items to hang on.

92724412bd42ba12f3c0cb3e39eecb0e.jpg

7afbcdc311e500bc321a08c968396c19.jpg

95786d916279854c1c5957b21b12e944.jpg

Got quite a bit done over the weekend
Rerouted the wire harness to allow for the new batery box
Installed the batery box and batery tied everything up and away.
Installed new plugs I went with 10ek's had to remove the metal bracket that the head light pod attaches to in order to reroute the harness. It is laying on the motor in spots now and is the only way it would fit I hope it can stand the heat it is secure so it won't be rubbing. Speaking of heat will the blower get hot enough to melt stuff? Somethings are kinda close to it. Some hints for the next guy if you put the harness under the front mount instead of over you can undo the zip tie push in mounting strap and put it back in upside-down to hold it under the mount and out of the way. Also on the oil tank side you use a left over hole to zip tie the harness on top of the frame so it is secure and you have room for the air intake and filter. Here is a pic of what I mean.
156d9d7bd643d9423574fc71181ff844.jpg

068610036018e3860483602bc5acb976.jpg

I also soldered in the two splices for the gems controller. Yes gems I thought I had bought a pcv and auto tune turns out I didn't read it right and got an ignition module and an auto tune both for a pcv but not a pcv. Oh well it comes with a gems and I'm sure it will work. On the Brite side I have an ignition module to sell and maybe an auto tune.was thinking if it will work I could put auto tune in the bike it has pcv and the dg pipes have a bung for the o2 sensor. Just not sure if the auto tune is universal from one vehicle to another I don't see why not it only connects to the pcv and the o2 sensor I think. I also set the pulleys at 27 : 24 for a .888 ratio should be 5.8-6.5 lbs give or take depending on final rpm of the motor seems like a good safe starting point.
The instructions for the gems didn't say what wires are for injector 1 2 3 or so I assumed the order they were going into the control box was hopefully in order from left to right as 1234 and hooked the up that way. If you know what color is 1 and so on please post.i have to take them back off anyways because I have to do the vacuum lines although I think they will be positive pressure now instead of vacuum.
We put oil in the oil tank and put about 15-20 zip ties where ever they seemed to fit.
And we did a little mock up to show my son what it will look like when it's done.
1fb148da0ceca60c1805f55e37e22f88.jpg

a7b74f4177d0c8f7433e64ea01fcba75.jpg

48540c8587559bf7cd370531da658545.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545L using Tapatalk

I routed all my wires away from the blower. I was concerned of the same thing. I am sure it will get hot jut not sure how hot.
Mr sled what would be your opinion on selling the autotune, and ignition module (both brand new), or trading for a pcv with boost options? Being he probably won't go big boost for a long while I was thinking the pcv might be easier to adjust, and get info on. Especially being guys like you, Allen etc usually use them over gems.... Dumb idea or not in your opinion?

I have written this before but I have the GEMS and one of the few things that I classify as good enough move on (GEMO). The enginenerd in me wanted to buy a Motec or PCV and autotune to really harness the control of the engine but it just works with the GEMS. When I say works I mean it hasn't blown up! At 90mph there is a lean spot, when its warm in the summer it will stumble until I richen it up slightly, so its not perfect but once I set the idle for winter time I never touch it and just ride.

Kinger I would love to pick your brain a bit when im ready to fire her up you have lots of seat time with the gems so your thoughts are greatly welcomed. I have no more budget for this til january so i have to work with what I have and i have everything i need to make it work and that means useing the GEMS controller. im sure i will be able to sell the ignition module and i will put that money towards the shocks. everything else i need is already in the garage.

any one have a spare silicone tube/carb boot that goes between the intercooler and the throttle bodies? I put a hole in one. Or know where i could get one?

Back