• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Torks safety thread

When snow dust is comming off the back of the sled in front of you increase your distance between sleds so you can see. My friend did not have enough room in between him and the sled in front of him and in his words "When the dust was gone I was all I saw was Trees." He did about $4k of damage to his SRX, but LUCKILY he is OK. On that day you needed ~100 yards for the dust to settle.

Brian, now that you mention that, there were a bunch of riders a few weeks ago that had a big mishap. The first rider missed the turn and all the others followed him in the woods because they couldn't see and were following the tail light in front of them.

RSRAGER - I hear ya about hand signals.

I tell the person behind me, left corner, right corner, stop, clear, slow down, and the "both hand" signal, to represent HOLY $&*T!!!!!!!!

I might look like a chicken trying to fly, but it really tells the guy behind you, what is happening.

Ask MrSled, Impalapower, Kmer, Bountyhunter, BlueDog, Indy, Tork, Smokey, and some other people we rode with. I use a lot of hand signals.

NOS-PRO said:
... and some other people we rode with. I use a lot of hand signals.
Gee Terry, all this while I just thought you were, you know... Special. LaLaLa

j/k I do appreciate your communication when I'm following you, I just couldn't pass up the shot. :tg:

Good point Indy. Doesn't matter if you're sober and going a reasonable speed if you can't stay on your side of the trail in the corners...

Excellent advice ;)! May as well throw in my 2c's based on experience:

#1 NO ALCOHOL OR DRUGS! Yes I've encountered both. Drugs & Alcohol impare judgement and the awareness of knowing your abilities. Case-in-point: My friend and I were low on fuel and teamed-up with a few of his freinds for safety. His so-called friends, stopped to smoke pot :o| and I couldn't just take-off as it was 5 below 0. I watched one pot-head try to climb a 4" pine tree, then a mile later, he fell off his sled, right in-front of me. - BIG MISTAKE!

#2 If you think you can make it on what you have in your tank, gas-up anyway - see #1.

> Trails are for everyone, and anyone could be on them.

> Frozen lakes can be trecherous, especially Lk. Superior.

> Make sure everyone in your group knows the intended destination, even if they don't have a map, or know the trail system.

> Put at least 1 experienced rider at the very back of the pack.

> Don't rely on on-coming sleds to signal or always know what's behind them - Use your own judgement and ride defensively at all times. Remember Drugs & Alcohol impares this judgement.

>Stay to the right, even on straight-aways and check your 6 often. During the day, use your odometer as a reminder - for every few tenths, check your 6 when safe to do so. If there are sleds following too closely, acknowlledge them and make it easy for them to get around you, even if they part the group. This is where mirrors come in handy ;)

> Leaders - stop at the stops and check for trailing sleds that are trying to get by your group.

> When you come to an intersection or road crossing, stay single-file, don't block the crossing.

> When you get stuck behind someone, frustrating I know and chances are they are darting, weaving, or day-dreaming and aren't paying attention, be patient and remember - they can't hear us (stock 4-strokes) too well and you'll scare the crap out of them when you go by.

> Not a safety tip: See if others in your group would like to share one fill-up - just keep track of how much you put in and give one person your money. This saves time and it's courteous to those waiting to fill-up.

Now if we could get EVERY snowmobiler in the world to read this post - we'd be all set. Nice job Tork! ;)!

4Fighter said:
#1 NO ALCOHOL OR DRUGS!

I'll second that. Beer's my friend, but we don't touch it until we're done for the night.

Last time out we were laughing at this idiot ralfing in the bushes out in front of the bar, but it really wasn't at all funny. He could hardly walk, and you know he had to ride his sled to get back where he came from. There was an old SRX out front with duct tape all over the seat, hammered in rear and no lense on the tailight. We figured that was his ride.

:twisted: Wouldn't it be nice if you could tell which sled belonged to the moron who's getting hammered inside, and then planning on riding away? Then you could simply cut the bozo's spark-plug wires in half and toss the caps.

It's a shame the establishments don't take action against this behavior. You can't tell me that they don't make enough money off of 20 riders drinking pop, to the one or 2 guys that stumble-out hammered, with their helmets on and bibs unzipped.

4Fighter - Do like we did one time. The guy was so plastered, he couldn't walk after he jumped down from the barstool. So we went outside, (we figured we had enough time), so we turned his skis around, so the hoops were facing the wrong way. The hoops kept the skis from turning, so he couldn't go anywhere. When they dug into a snow bank, he got pissed, and left it sit there running, and came inside and asked to have a cab pick him up. His words were "My snowmobile is broken, and I can't turn."

We had a good laugh about it.

Steve - I thought I was special!

8)

well i cant help read this thread and think about all the guys up at the north wis TY ride. i believe all u guys were drinking, some more than others, and u still had to drive to ur cabin. now i knew that i was only a couple of miles but just remember-it only takes one wrong turn and u could hurt urself and maybe someone else. a lot of ppl talk the talk but really...how many walk the walk?!-zero means zero on ANY TRAIL

I was wasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Mountain Dew that is.

That coin drop game was temping me all night.

LMAO - NOS-PRO that's a real classic!

pimpedrsrage said:
...a lot of ppl talk the talk but really...how many walk the walk?!-zero means zero on ANY TRAIL

I do ;)

I NEVER drink alcohol while riding, and seldom while parked for the night - Ask anyone I've ridden with:

YamablueRX1
Ultimatewarrior
Snowman269
RX Yooper
Indy

In fact, If you were of legal drinking age, and came to my house, I'd have to go to the store and buy some sort of alcoholic beverage because we don't drink, and we don't keep anything in the house either, except rubbing alcohol and Nyquil.

Back