• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trailer Security

BOUNTYHUNTER

Staff member
With soooooooooooooo many of us with enclosed two, three & four place trailers we have a few $$$$$$ tied up in our Trailers, Quads & Snowmobiles. I know we are always talking Led Lights, Brakes, Drive On Drive Off, Weight, Aluminum or Steel, Floors, Matts & Ski Guides as well as makes and models.

With so much going on in the trailer world how do you "LOCK" your trailer??? ,There's obviously a few different types of locks available out there. I spent a few dollars more for these hockey puck style as they are pick proof and can not be cut and really give you a false sense of security as they are what they are, to bad the trailers are not. If you have bars that swing across into those small little latches and the top piece swivels downwards, that is the weak link.

I had our compound broken into on Wednesday Night and they simply must of laughed at my fancy locks as they used a cordless drill with a cutting disk and were inside my trailer with a few minutes as they cut the upper locking tap. This SS Material but so thin with todays cutting disks that we have at work im sure it zipped right through there like butter.

They unfastened the two tie down ratchet straps turned the key and away they went with my new beautiful blue fully loaded quad. My jaw it the drawbridge door as I looked into the trailer to see it empty, the only good thing was my double axial quad trailer and gear was over at a friends or it would be gone as well.

I personally like the Triton Locking Cams on all their doors, are they perfect??? Im not sure but it does eliminates the locking bars and weak latches. I think the trailer world really needs to take a good hard look on how to really protect our very expensive stuff we haul as what we have for options doesn't work. I now have to battle with the insurance company "Auto Pac" for what I had and a damaged trailer that will have go into the shop for repairs. I would have been better off with really cheap pad locks which they could have cut off instead, after all LOCKS only keep out honest people.

I did learn two very important things.....#1...NEVER EVER Leave the keys in your toys while they are in the trailer. #2....NEVER EVER leave your registration in your toys as well as now they have personal info on you as to your address which they might just want to come and visit for more goodies. Im sure they will feel that I will get this replaced so they should come back and get that new bike next.......Where does this end??? Im currently looking into "On Star" or some kind of GPS that can be hidden on your toy and monitored for finding where it is now. Do you keep your keys in them while they are in your garage or trailer??? Think they are safe???........I thought so......I was wrong

Break & Enter Wednesday Night Oct 12th 2016 008.JPG
Break & Enter Wednesday Night Oct 12th 2016 024.JPG
Break & Enter Wednesday Night Oct 12th 2016 021.JPG
Break & Enter Wednesday Night Oct 12th 2016 017.JPG
Break & Enter Wednesday Night Oct 12th 2016 014.JPG

This really irritates a person. I guess all you can do is put multiple locks on the door levers and hang a sign that says smile boys your on camera inside the trailer. When I go up north I have a lock that goes in the hitch then I padlock the ball release lever and I use a 9/16" cable to my trailer hitch and a massive lock. Nothing will stop them But if I can keep them busy making noise then maybe My conceal carry will come into use. And after they rob you blind you have to step up to the insurance company and watch them do everything not to give you what you paid for. Good luck! They make good fake camera's !! Or dish out some money and have the real thing with remote access to your cell phone .

I am so sorry to hear about your loss and the committing of such a low life act. I do have a Triton trailer with the locking cams as you mentioned and I do feel they secure the door better. In addition to the typical coupler locks available, I also purchased a high quality chain and lock that I weave between the wheels to keep the trailer tires from rotating. And lastly, I have a hidden GPS tracker (Spot Trace) that works very well. It only costs about $100.00/year and gives me the peace of mind that I can locate my trailer if anything should happen. I'm still making payments on sleds and trailer and I don't want to make it easy for a thief. Maybe look at different alarms systems or possibly a kill switch on your toys.

Sorry about the loss of your toy Bounty, maddening for sure.
I had a Triton TC 167 with the same bar style locks and always thought there were plenty of ways to get around the padlock by removing a few fasteners or grinding off a rivet. You hope nobody would stoop so low as that, but apparently there are azzhats out there that do.
I now have a Neo 7x20 inline and the Neo ramp door locks are basically concealed mechanically and the lock system is stainless steel as well. Of course nothing is foolproof, but I feel this ramp door locking system is much better idea. A good lock goes a long way too.
48A2BE7B-C147-453B-A83E-9327CC03D6FF.jpg
1338908236.jpg

Sorry about your loss BountyHunter - when I first got my new sled I had looked into a GPS tracker. The ones I found either needed to be powered on with the machine, or were battery powered and therefore I figured they'd never be on due to being in the cold and uncharged for long periods. Some trackers also had a monthly fee. If anyone can find some that don't have these constraints please let us know.

D on't
T rust
A nyone

Sucks man, hate to read this & hope they find the culprits.

I take everything (ratchet straps/ spare tire, anything not secured down) out of my 2 place enclosed clam and lock in my truck at a trail head. When home it all stays locked up in my driveway with a coupler lock, no keys or reggy (in NYS the reggy paper is the only proof of ownership, I ALWAYS carry a copy w/ an X on the back). Sure if some assbag thief wants it bad enough they'll try to get it....
Couple of retired neighbors always around with big dogs in their yards, keep my 'lil rural 'hood pretty active, lucky so far ** knocks on wood**

I am sorry for your loss I have certainly been there had a quad a dirt bike and a trailer stolen from my yard. my Ins stepped up on them for me I hope yours does too. I now have cameras all over in plain sight and have locks that are harder to get thru. the cameras already paid for themselves as our car was a victim of a hit and run and we caught them on the cameras. a decent system that connects to the internet and can be viewed by your smart device can be installed for around 1500.00 I am now very glad I have them.

Back