• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turned primary clutch clockwise darn it!!!!

I would stop worrying about it and just go ride the other sled. Take it in for the fall, and then you get your warranty and peace of mind.

So Viper surgery is scheduled for march 13th at the dealership. Hope it doesn't turn into an autopsy.

So Viper surgery is scheduled for march 13th at the dealership. Hope it doesn't turn into an autopsy.
Be sure they measure the valve clearance and adjust as necessary.
The exhaust are known to need adjustment.

Be sure they measure the valve clearance and adjust as necessary.
The exhaust are known to need adjustment.
tks for the advice. Yes a valve adjustment is in the plan, there's 15000 kms on the sled, ie: 9320 miles.

The Viper is ready to roll. From what the service manager told me, when I turned the primary clutch clockwise, it somehow moved the cam chain tensioner to the point where it wasn't putting correct pressure on the chain. No internal damage, they adjusted the valves maybe twice I think because they weren't sure what the issue was. The master mechanic was not available for a week or so. Anywho, $1064 cdn is the bill. It could have been worse. I was due for a valve adjustment anyway. Learn by your mistakes. I don't know if all 4 stroke engines have this important detail to not rotate the primary clutch backwards but it seems that is't just the type of chain tensionner that the Viper has, some have changed to a manual tensionner from what I read. But I may be confused with the drive chain tensioner, lol

Last edited:
The Viper is ready to roll. From what the service manager told me, when I turned the primary clutch clockwise, it somehow moved the cam chain tensioner to the point where it wasn't putting correct pressure on the chain. No internal damage, they adjusted the valves maybe twice I think because they weren't sure what the issue was. The master mechanic was not available for a week or so. Anywho, $1064 cdn is the bill. It could have been worse. I was due for a valve adjustment anyway. Learn by your mistakes. I don't know if all 4 stroke engines have this important detail to not rotate the primary clutch backwards but it seems that is't just the type of chain tensionner that the Viper has, some have changed to a manual tensionner from what I read. But I may be confused with the drive chain tensioner, lol
Thanks for the update.
I did a valve set on a Viper in December along with some work in the stub shaft area and bill was almost identical.
I have seen the chain climb the gears when watching with the valve cover off, but it surprises me it can skip the exhaust cam with the cover on as Yamaha has a bump in there on the bottom side of the valve cover.

I'll know more when I pick it up. Service managers don't always know the specifics. I can post back with the details if you think the board would be interested. Tks for chiming in.

Last edited:
Pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321_211517_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230321_211517_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 104
Appreciate the photo but I cannot relate to it as I've never seen a cam chain tensioner, if that's what that is, lol. Been a 2 stroke owner for 45 years, Wouldn't mind if you told me what this is.

Appreciate the photo but I cannot relate to it as I've never seen a cam chain tensioner, if that's what that is, lol. Been a 2 stroke owner for 45 years, Wouldn't mind if you told me what this is.
That's the bottom side of the valve cover.
I can't see any reason for that bump to be there except to keep the exhaust cam from skipping in the event of turning backwards.
But apparently it still can.

Picked up the Viper, yesterday, drove 150 kms. Runs great. Mechanic told me cam chain skipped a tooth (actually he said cam chain was untimed) but didn’t do any valve damage, somehow.

Last edited:

Back