• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Two Questions About Ski Lift

vmaxjohn said:
LB, you're a smart guy on this stuff, but I've got to wonder about the upper arms comment. If the upper arms weigh less, it would stand to reason that this would have a change in the dynamics of the front suspension, other than dropping a few pounds in dry weight. With less sprung weight, in that specific area, wouldn't it help a little?

I would think that less mass pushing against the CoG would help keep the skis planted....what do you think?

**If you add weight down low enough, it will actually REDUCE the center of gravity!!

The difference in the weight is so small that it will really make no difference, or at least none that your senses are acute enough to detect. 1 quart of GAS will make *much* more difference.

I agree totally with the gas. First rides last year, I found my sled darting a little if I had under a half tank of gas. Pulled out my shims and saw that they were crushed from storage! Finally got the 'proper' ski bumper from C&A and no more worries.

You ever consider Fast's answer to ski lift?

I've noticed that if you coast through the turn ie:eek:ff the gas that you will get ton's of ski lift because your're loading up the front,if you stay on the gas just a touch through the turn it will altogether eliminate the ski lift because it produces a better weight distribution 50/50 when on the throttle,when off the throttle the weight distribution now becomes 70/30 and that's when you get the ski lift.The key to riding the 4-stroke is to be smooth with the throttle and constant speed throught the turn,not like on a 2 stroke where you drive it in hard let off the gas coast through the turn and then get back on the gas.It's hard to acheive this constant speed with a 2 stroke the engine characteristic's are like a light switch on or off where as on the 4 stroke you can keep the throttle on slightly without really slowing down or speeding up,aren't valves great!. :D

Dosen't matter what springs you have eventually you'll outride that setup as well,throttle fluctuation and top quality shock's that have rebound and compression damping features will give you the ride your looking for.You could have truck spring's in the front there might not be any dive or body roll when you shut the gas off but you'll have less grip in the corner's that's where quality shock's come into play.Plus I didn't want to spend to much money on the 03 waiting to see the 05/06 lineup.The RX will have more ski lift than the Warrior because of the length but will be more agile and steer quicker.

Had a little birdie tell me that he is using the 2.1 strait rate springs and the longer links with the stock 10mm sway bar and it was the best handling set up he has used and he has them all. I am going to try this and see what happens. I also have the other stuff but do the best for the money. No sense spending what you don't have to. :twisted: :twisted:

I am running the maxximum 1.9 rate springs with 11 mm swaybar & my ski lift is virtually eliminated & the front end ride is way plusher.

I also have tried the updates on my 03 shorty, The best thing I have tried is tightening the limit straps. Started at three threads and worked up to 7/8 of an inch, I like it there,Like to be able to punch it to put the sled , or front end anyway, over a ditch, but still feels good comin out of a corner. Still dialing in for this year. I installed a revavled viper shock, so things are a little different from last year. Love that new shock! Seems much plusher! Happy holidays YA"LL!!! Honk

RX-1 ski lift

Got my new warrior on the snow last week. It was horrible as far as ski lift goes. Adjusted the limit straps to 1 1/2" of thread above the top nut. Much better ,I`m 220# I used the same set-up I`ve used on my 600xtc for 6yrs. Ifirst set the sit in to 5" in rear then set front ski set in to 2" from full extention with me sitting on it . adjust rear dampening to where you like it and go. hopes this helps someone.

I just purchased an 03 RX-1 short track and have noticed this same problem as you all have described. I tried one out at Snodeo in Rangley Maine last year but only for a short distance. My sled has 600 miles on it. I love the 4 stroke power. Went for a ride Sunday and coldnt believe how much torque this thing has. Now back to the lift problem. I have seen alot of different ideas on the board and wold like to experiment with some. When you say take up the limiter what bolt are you talking about and which way are you going with it. Second on the spring rates. I have a race car so I understand some of what you are saying but what is the 1.9 and 2.1 etc are these rates in metric or part numbers or something like that? What have you all found that helps? I was going to order the longer arm kit and try that and some limiter adjustment . What do you think?

I think those quoted spring rates are in KG/inch.

I would recommend using all available adjustments first, and get a feel for what does what. So far, we haven't talked about the control rods! The more you delay your rear to front coupling, the more ski lift you'll get. If anyone has ridden an '01 or older AC, you'll understand. They had non coupled skids, and would wave a ski at you when going around a corner, just to say howdy, I have no coupling whatsoever!

The limiter straps work on the front arm in the rear suspension, you really should only adjust these for ski pressure, but they have an added effect of flatter cornering.

We also need to isolate what is happening when teh ski lift occurs. Are you on the throttle, brakes, coasting? Is it smooth, bumpy, icy with snow banks? All these little details helps a guy tune.

Well it seems it is worse on decel into corners. If you keep into the gas a little bit it isnt as bad. In my race car it is similar but you can adjust brake bias. On heavy decel you put even more weight on the front as you enter corner. It seems better with less fuel also dont know if that is just me adjusting my driving or weight transfer. I have not adjusted a thing yet I first talked to my loacl dealer and researching on the internet lead me here. I am ordering the longer links and 12mm swaybar from Maxxperformance today I think I live in Maine and they are in NY hopefully parts are in and I can install them before this weekend. I will bring the appropriate wrenches etc with me to adjust limiter and see how it is after that. If not somewhat better it seems replacing springs next logical step. I would like to work my way up from least expensive beofre I go and dump a bunch more money on Simmons skis to get rid of the lift. besides I just bought this thing hehehe

Back