• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ultimate Tune of Tuners --Bergstom ski saver on inside ???

yamadoo

Yamadoo is a snowmobile ' aholic'.
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 Viper STX DX red/white- GPS and KING AIR suspension 4kmiles
13 Apex XTX 45 anniversary RED/WHITE/BLACK 3K miles
10 Vector LTX Blue 9kmiles
11 Venture GT 4k miles
86 SnoScoot(2) for grand kids
I was thinking of adding a Bergstrom ski saver under my inside carbide (I came across an unused set of ski savers in the garage) were I have 6 inch studboy carbide thinking :
1) Get BETTER bite of outside ski in corners to decrease push - inside of ski angles /drops down with turns
2) On straight away should still have enough outside carbide contact to fight dart

Anybody tried this? Go ahead and educate me of obvious short comings in my thought process.(it is going to be a long off season)

I was thinking of adding a Bergstrom ski saver under my inside carbide (I came across an unused set of ski savers in the garage) were I have 6 inch studboy carbide thinking :
1) Get BETTER bite of outside ski in corners to decrease push - inside of ski angles /drops down with turns
2) On straight away should still have enough outside carbide contact to fight dart

Anybody tried this? Go ahead and educate me of obvious short comings in my thought process.(it is going to be a long off season)
I think it would work well. Would be like my Pilots where outside carbide doesn't do much till turn.

It won't fix flotation in deeper snow and I think they'll still push in loose conditions due to snow packing between the dual keel and lifting the ski. If you have everything it's worth a try but I don't believe there's a simple fix to any dual keel ski. The Pilots are a little better but I think they have similar unpredictable characteristics as the Tuner's.

It won't fix flotation in deeper snow and I think they'll still push in loose conditions due to snow packing between the dual keel and lifting the ski. If you have everything it's worth a try but I don't believe there's a simple fix to any dual keel ski. The Pilots are a little better but I think they have similar unpredictable characteristics as the Tuner's.
My 6.9s work waay better than a tuner.

I agree that the 6.9" Pilot do work better than the trail 5.7" but for a fair comparison you need to stick with similar width trail skis. The Tuners and 5.7" Pilots have totally different keel designs but even with the differences I found both to have similar handling characteristics. If the "Ultimate Tune" is an attempt to lift the outside carbide I don't see how that's going to improve corning or handling in general. Once both carbides make contact in a turn snow is forced between them which compacts and lifts the skis causing push. This has been a problem with the dual keel/carbide skis from the start.

I agree that the 6.9" Pilot do work better than the trail 5.7" but for a fair comparison you need to stick with similar width trail skis. The Tuners and 5.7" Pilots have totally different keel designs but even with the differences I found both to have similar handling characteristics. If the "Ultimate Tune" is an attempt to lift the outside carbide I don't see how that's going to improve corning or handling in general. Once both carbides make contact in a turn snow is forced between them which compacts and lifts the skis causing push. This has been a problem with the dual keel/carbide skis from the start.
But its not a problem with 6.9's which have a bigger middle keel. That's exactly what yamadoo is going to try. Got to admit it should help. May not be enough but should help.

I agree will not eliminate push when they float up on top of loose snow but hoping will allow inside keel to bite a little deeperand help.
Like cannondale said trying to somewhat replicate pilots with different depth of keel and most aggressive on inside.
Will let you know next November or December. Lol
Thanks

What I found on the ski saver is that when I bent one of my triple points on a rock and had to put a set of Woodys on is that the studs are not long enough with the ski saver.

OH that is a real possibility with my stud boys as well. May just stick with what I have works pretty well except in deep snow and never have that in MN anymore.

OH that is a real possibility with my stud boys as well. May just stick with what I have works pretty well except in deep snow and never have that in MN anymore.

All the more reason to run the savers, low snow rock deflectors! I just hope the weather people are right and La Nina keeps developing as that usually gives us cooler/snowier winters! I think the setup would work well, though by adding more keel depth to the inside.

Back