• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Upper A-arm play?

Yannie

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Yamaha Nytro RTX
What kind of play if any should the upper a-arms have?

2009 RTX

just do the bushings and be done! if they are doing there job right and not wore out no play should be there except the rotation obv.

I'm new to the Nytro as wll. Does the front sub-frame have to come off to remove the a-arms?

I replaced mine before I even drove the sled. Yamaha dealer sells oilite bushings now, or various other vendors carry them as well. Remove all the plastic side panels and nose cone piece. Turn out the bolts on the a-arms. Can't remember which ones, but one has nuts welded so you just turn out the bolts and the other you need to hold the nuts with a wrench. Old plastic bushings come out with a small drill bit to cut them and then I used a flat screw driver or small chisel to punch the crappy plastic bushings out. Used a big C-clamp to press in the new oilites. Took a little time, but shouldn't have to do that again for a very long time.

I replaced mine before I even drove the sled. Yamaha dealer sells oilite bushings now, or various other vendors carry them as well. Remove all the plastic side panels and nose cone piece. Turn out the bolts on the a-arms. Can't remember which ones, but one has nuts welded so you just turn out the bolts and the other you need to hold the nuts with a wrench. Old plastic bushings come out with a small drill bit to cut them and then I used a flat screw driver or small chisel to punch the crappy plastic bushings out. Used a big C-clamp to press in the new oilites. Took a little time, but shouldn't have to do that again for a very long time.

If you can't find a big c-clamp, a threaded rod with nut/washer on either end works great!

I like using the 3/8 threaded rod with large washers and nuts to compress the new bushings in. You can buy a 1/4" brass rod and use it to knock out the old bushings its easy. I ended up using Pioneer performance nylatron bushing replacements and liked them very much. here is a link http://pioneerperformance.net/store/page3.html

Pete

I just need to remove nose plastic to get at them?

I can't remember every step but it's really easy. You'll have to remove hood, then remove the three Philips head screws from the nose plastic . The bumper passes through the nose plastic, so you'll have to remove the top two bumper bolts and loosen the bottom two, which allows the bumper and the nose plastic to swing down out of the way, giving you access to the front of the upper a arm bolts. I don't remember having to remove anything else to access the non-welded nuts (I think those are on the bottom a arm mounts), it is straight forward. With sled supported, remove all bolts and remove a arms. Like stated above, punch the old plastic bushings out with a flathead and hammer, and press the new in with your choice of method. I tapped mine in with a bock of wood and a hammer, but this is a riskier approach as you risk breaking the bushing flanges. I also used the Pioneer bushings and so far so good.

Back