• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector 4-stroke starter issues

Janny

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Vector LTX GT
My 2008 Vector LTX GT developed a starting problem this past winter. I had it in the garage to replace the driveshaft bearing (not fun). I was able to do this without pulling the driveshaft but I had a heck of a time "persuading" what was left of the old bearing to slide off the shaft. After the job was done I went to start it and, when I turned the key, nothing happened. This sled has carburetors so no fuel pump noise when you turn the key, btw. After I dinked around with it for a few minutes, it started. It did the same thing the next time I went to ride it in northern Michigan two weekends later. This time it started right up in my trailer and I left it to warm up on half choke to help sonny boy get his sled started. In the meantime mine quit. I went to start it again and nothing happened when I turned the key, just like before! After me and a couple other dudes tried all kinds of stuff, one of them decided to spin the primary by hand with the thought that the starter had a dead spot in it, and then it started right up! My guess is the starter is going bad. It's happened several other times and I can always get it started if I spin the primary. The primary will also move in reverse, btw. I've done alot of reading in the forums to see what the deal is with my sled. I'm thinking I need to take a look at the starter relay and the starter, probably replacing both. Any tips I can get would really be appreciated. Looks like the best way to do the job is to remove the front motor mount bolts and loosen the rear, remove the oil filter and lower radiator hose, jack up the engine from the front far enough to get the starter to come out right there behind where the oil filter screws on. This sled has 9,000 miles on it and has been a real joy to ride since I got it in 2013.

Lot's (too much) going on with me so I haven't been on here very much.
I'm surprised nobody has responded.
C'mom guys......help Janny out!

Is there a "click" when you turn the key into the start position?? If so the starter relay is good and if not the relay is bad.
On my Attak this no start situation was happening to me. Each time I had to tap the starter to get it to spin. Changed the starter. Took the old one apart and I could see where the armature was burnt.
I would say your starter is about the same as mine was. I would change it out for a new OEM one.

Thanks Steiner for the technical information and thanks 4strokeluvr111 for rallying the troops! I do not get a click when I turn the key whenever the sled won't start. Replacing the relay makes perfect sense to me and I agree that the starter should also get replaced, which I think explains why it starts after I spin the primary by hand. There has got to be dead spot in that starter, right?

I would not turn the motor backwards it can cause it to skip time and would be real bad if it did. FWIW.

Thanks for the advice thor452. What do you mean with "skip time"?

when you rotate the motor backwards it allows slack in the timing chain and it can skip a tooth.

Oh, I see. Makes sense. Thanks alot for the tip. All the more reason to get it fixed so I don't have to hand spin it then.

Ya, never role the primary backwards, it can spell big trouble. Sounds to me like a starter relay issue. Check that first before you change the starter itself. Changing the starter is a pain. You have to rock the motor forward and get underneath and maneuver the starter up there. Make sure the starter gear is aligned correctly or you will have a bigger problem to deal with. good luck.

Back