• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

vent block

ken0la

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
NONO
anyone block off the bottom vent, oil res side? Getting tired of cleaning out ice chunks (following day) after every ride.
Not much air flow to cool anything after area is packed with snow and ice anyway right?
If you've never taken off your side covers after a couple of days of riding in the powpow to inspect #*$&@ like your belt and relays etc, do so man as ice is expanded water and its forces are nasty!
Thoughts?

Last edited:

I just cut and wove a piece of scrap 3/16 rubber( belting? ) through the slots, don't even notice it, and it stays in place, solved the problem. DSC03613.jpg

I tried a piece of frogskin that sticks on, didn't last. Still hoping for something to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most stickons don't last ( extreme cold takes them out)I Believe most of the kits you drill and mount the frame with the frogskin molded into it.

Pete

I drilled and riveted an aluminum frame over that oil tank vent, and alum mesh under the frame. Been there for 5 yrs. I added frogskins to the long side vents, and alum mesh to the two top vents at the same time. I also wadded butyl tape in and around all the front bumper area panel joints ( behind front bumper where the tool kit sat ). I was tired of breaking out junks of ice all through that area. And no more powder through my vents. All my solid state relays are snow free since I did this.Has worked really well. I also used butyl tape to adhere all the vents, except for the aluminum panel covering the oil tank.

Last edited:
I drilled and riveted an aluminum frame over that oil tank vent, and alum mesh under the frame. Been there for 5 yrs. I added frogskins to the long side vents, and alum mesh to the two top vents at the same time. I also wadded butyl tape in and around all the front bumper area panel joints ( behind front bumper where the tool kit sat ). I was tired of breaking out junks of ice all through that area. And no more powder through my vents. All my solid state relays are snow free since I did this.Has worked really well. I also used butyl tape to adhere all the vents, except for the aluminum panel covering the oil tank.

Thax MP5, this sounds like the way to go, I would however like something that would be easy to remove for the warmer riding in the early spring though. I will continue to ponder this for a bit and will post a pic once I find my solution .