• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture Lite Forward/Reverse Problem

Muncher

I have an 07 Venture lite and the green drive light is blinking and it won't rev over 4000rpm. It won't shift into reverse either. I am sure it is stuck half way between forward and reverse. Does any one have any suggestions. I have rocked the sled, rotated track etc. I know this reverse set up doesn't shift properly from the get go but this is different. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx Muncher

Sounds like your shift motor is dead and not moving the shift gear. When the light flashes, that means the gear has not moved into position. Or the sensor switch in the reverse gear is not working and registering that the forward gear is engaged.

Thank you for your reply. Do you or anyone know if I can go into the chaincase and bypass this or something to that effect? I don't care if it goes into reverse at this time. I just want to be able to run the sled above 4000 rpm. We lost our dealer here in town and don't want to travel hrs to have it worked on. Thx Muncher

You could but if you're going into the trouble of disassembling things, might as well try to fix it. Get a bold of Port Yamaha to send you a new sensor switch to see of that is the issue. Go to the parts finder and see what the reverse gear looks like and the placement of the switches. Simply bypassing the switch could damage the reverse gear box if, in fact, the forward gear is not properly engaged. That is the reason the engine will not rev. If the shift motor is dead, you will have to replace it as it is preventing the gear from engaging.

thanks Mooseman. I have removed everything infront of the chaincase. I'm gonna drain chaincase and have a peak inside and take it from there. I'm sure it won't be a quick fix. Thx for your help and advise

To get to it, what I had to do was drain the coolant, removed the hoses and tank and I had access to the shift motor. The reverse gearcase is on the inside of the frame opposite to the chaincase.

Here's a thread to a similar problem (Phazer and VL are basically the same). Yours could be doing the same but for the forward gear:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... rse+switch

You could short the forward switch and carefully see if the gear is properly engaged and then try reverse after un-shorting it and listen for the shift motor.

thank you for your help. trying to figure out how to short out the sensor. any suggestions? thanks

The circled part is the forward sensor switch. The wire is white with blue stripe. It shorts to ground when forward is engaged. I don't know how accessible it is since I only worked on the reverse switch.

Funny thing, I have to go back into my Phazer's reverse gear. It seems to not engage the forward gear completely and basically grinds. Reverse works fine. It's my son's and he was very disappointed because we made a trip to our cottage today and wanted to run on the lake. Had to limp it back to the trailer. Needless to say, he was very upset.

Attachments

• Forward Switch.jpg
    Forward Switch.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,548
Thanks Mooseman. I disconected the sensor on the other side and it did nothing. I will try this and let you know. Thanks

The forward switch actually extends through the frame on the chaincase side through a hole behind the parking brake caliper. You should see the lone wire connector there.

PS: Hope you don't mind, I asked a mod to move this thread to a proper place and change the title to hopefully get more responses :Rockon:

I sent you a PM that has full break down to help you. Will make a full write up for testing the whole system and how to add the whole system for any one who wants to.

Thanks Mooseman. No prob with moving it. You have been very helpful. Will let you know how it goes. Won't be able to mess with it for a couple days.

Hey Guys,

New owner of a used 2009 Venture Lite...I have a couple of questions. My "drive" light seems to turn off intermittently. No issues with reverse, and no issues driving....just the light goes off? I've checked all the connections on the harness...nothing loose. Any Suggestions? And, secondly I seem to have a lot of play in my steering...no visible wear on ball joints or outer tie rods. I can move the skies individually about an inch, without the other one moving. Is this normal?

Thanks,

jason

There is a lot on your first topic in this section. I blame it all on gremlins and just ignore it mostly.

Our ski spindle bushings are pretty weak and eventually it seems almost everyone gets to where you are. Do a search and see for yourself. My time is coming and my first step will be to contact UP Bushman, a member on this site who, I hope is still selling upgraded replacements.

Welcome to TY, some of the contributors around here are amazingly generous with their time and knowledge.

Back