• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper glider build

Success!!! I had this beast out for a ride last night. The night was abruptly ended at 44 miles when an older Skidoo in the group put a stud through the exchanger. The Viper hybrid performed nearly flawlessly on our very hardpacked trails. Most of the time traction was hard to find but it seemed to pull well all the way to about 80 (conditions and terrain did allow faster runs). The only 2 issues I found were minor. The fuel gauge did not read full when filled up and the high beam was spotting for coons.
I love this chassis so far. After I braced myself for the first bump and the sled glided over like a gazelle I thought for a second about my old Nytro. The Nytro would have kicked me back like a boxer in a prize fight. This thing is smooth! Also, the new Curve skis worked well. They seemed very aggressive in a corner with the Slim Jim's but I never lifted an inside ski. Instead the rear end was pretty free but controllable. Most of that was due to the blown off corners. I cannot wait to get this thing on some decent trial conditions.

The fuel gauge wasn't going to be exact with the Viper sending unit and Nytro fuel gauge calibration. I couldn't get accurate readings at both ends so I set it up more for the bottom level. When full the gauge won't display full and it won't start dropping until you run it below a certain level. The bottom level should read somewhat accurately and I set the fuel light for approximately 1.5 gallons remaining. We could try installing the Nytro fuel sending unit in the Viper tank to see if that works better.

Put only 35 more miles on it today. Conditions haven't been good around the house. Gonna have to travel soon.
Like many others on this site I installed Curves before the machine ever hit the snow. I tried to use the stock rubbers which made it twitchy and too aggressive in the corners. I switched to the updated Curve rubbers and noticed a huge difference. It has a slight but predictable push in the corners. Loved it!
Next thing to tackle will be the clutching. It has the usual hard engagement from the Nytro but I'm noticing when I brake hard entering a corner then quickly get back in the throttle the belt squeals a little. A guy behind me mentioned the smell of rubber during one section of trails. Not sure if it's related.
Otherwise I love this sled! The harder I push it in the bumps the more it wants. Can't wait to get some good miles on this creation!

Clutch kit from Chris Schmidt came in the mail.
45a505685173fb03345cafcf4fd78c1a.jpg

Looking forward to the lower engagement. Checking the weather forecast I'm gonna have to wait till Feb to try it out.

Any reports on how Chris's Stage II clutch kit is working on the hybrid sled?

Not much to report as I only have 40 miles on the clutch setup. I can say it's easier to load on the truck with the lower engagement. It seemed smoother in the corners like it didn't want to jump off the turn but I need more time and better trails. I'm heading for Canada next weekend so I'm sure I'll have better feedback after that.

Not much to report as I only have 40 miles on the clutch setup. I can say it's easier to load on the truck with the lower engagement. It seemed smoother in the corners like it didn't want to jump off the turn but I need more time and better trails. I'm heading for Canada next weekend so I'm sure I'll have better feedback after that.
Where abouts are you riding in Canada

I'll be up there also. Staying at H&H Motel in Mactier On.

Not sure how familiar you guys are with the trail around north Bay, Sudbury and timmins but if you want some directions on the nicest trails in those areas(fast scenic...) Let me know

Not sure how familiar you guys are with the trail around north Bay, Sudbury and timmins but if you want some directions on the nicest trails in those areas(fast scenic...) Let me know

I'll be up there with a group of Canadian friends that allow me to tag along. I usually just follow their lead but occasional they'll let me loose if I start pushing them to hard.

Finally! I get some good miles on it.

6a6c157c1e72b37c7fe96f237260bba6.jpg

We logged 885 miles in 3.5 days in Ontario. Left the truck in North Bay, West to Sudbury, North to Smooth Rock Falls. We intended on rounding the Abitibi Canyon loop but the camp was out of gas so we couldn't make it. Instead headed East to Cochrane then South through New Liskeard and back to the truck. Disappointed we didn't make our intended goal but trails were mostly good with the lack of normal snow and cold temps.

b8f4a3fb90b63a53cbffe8d506d0b306.jpg

The sled performed perfectly. The Curve skis with Woody's Slim Jim bars were smooth and predictable now that I have the correct rubbers. It was on rails in slow and high speed corners. Only issue was due to lack of snow on some road crossings so the U shaped bars would pack with mud and rocks and until it would clear the sled would steer like 2x4's were attached.

The clutching was spot on thanks to Chris Schmidt. She no longer lurched forward in tight corners due to high engagement and mid range pull seemed a hair better. It would tach up to 9200 when conditions were right and apparently I topped out at 105 mph across one particular lake. This was according to the Skidoo 850 running beside me. This brings up the only issue I had (which is very minor). My gauge only read 88, which is a 19% difference. The previous day I only hit 75 in warmer heavier snow, the Doo compared at 89 mph (also 19%). In the end the Dooski had 885 miles while I had 811 that's a 9% difference, not consistent with the speedo. I did have a few bonus miles as I was leading during the day and if one of the Doo's would stop I went back for them. Guessing it was less than 10 miles. Not sure how to fix this but it's not really gonna bother me. I'm happy this is the only issue.

Other than that everything else performed perfect. All lights, controls, and other mechanical systems worked well. I am especially impressed with Grizz's reverse circuit engineering. It was flawless. Easy to use and reliable every time I hit the button. I Love This Sled!!!

170187d09afa0c0d196492738c3b0fbb.jpg

So the slim jim bar on the curves was a refining point?

My friend has a set of C&A skis with a slim jim on his Viper, changed to a shaper with 6" carbide this year and complained about the darting - but cornering was crisp.

What's your take on the slim jim?

Great riding up in that area.

MS

Back