• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VIper mtx track moving sideways at the drivers

MxBen1980

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Viper MTX 153SE MPI
I have a 2015 viper mtx turbo and i have trouble with the track alignment. I can adjust the rear end but it's the front end of the track who have a tendency to move to the left to the point that the inside knobs are rubbing on the sliders and the track also rub inside the tunnel. I talked with the tech at my dealer last winter and he said i dont have to worry about this. I removed the entire suspension skid and measured and everything was straight. This week i did some work on the sled to prepare it for winter and realized that the wheels of the anti stab kit were at an angle. The wheels and bearings are ok but the shaft is worn out. For sure changing this shaft will help but there should be a reason why it happened. I tough about fixing it by shortening the shaft of the upper wheels on the left side and putting shims at the right side. The goal would be to move the back of the skid to the right. this way if the rear of the track is centered on the skid then the entire track should be closer to the right side of the tunnel. If it doesnt work i could still put the shims to the right and get back to the original position. However as i did more test today i realized that when i'm in reverse the front of the track moves entirely to the other side. I think if it was about straightness or parallelism, the track would always tend to be on the same side no matter if i'm going forward or backward. Do you guys have any idea of what's happening with this sled? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20160816_143543.jpg
    IMG_20160816_143543.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20160816_143550.jpg
    IMG_20160816_143550.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_20160816_143556.jpg
    IMG_20160816_143556.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20160816_144454.jpg
    IMG_20160816_144454.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 331

I have a 2015 viper mtx turbo and i have trouble with the track alignment. I can adjust the rear end but it's the front end of the track who have a tendency to move to the left to the point that the inside knobs are rubbing on the sliders and the track also rub inside the tunnel. I talked with the tech at my dealer last winter and he said i dont have to worry about this. I removed the entire suspension skid and measured and everything was straight. This week i did some work on the sled to prepare it for winter and realized that the wheels of the anti stab kit were at an angle. The wheels and bearings are ok but the shaft is worn out. For sure changing this shaft will help but there should be a reason why it happened. I tough about fixing it by shortening the shaft of the upper wheels on the left side and putting shims at the right side. The goal would be to move the back of the skid to the right. this way if the rear of the track is centered on the skid then the entire track should be closer to the right side of the tunnel. If it doesnt work i could still put the shims to the right and get back to the original position. However as i did more test today i realized that when i'm in reverse the front of the track moves entirely to the other side. I think if it was about straightness or parallelism, the track would always tend to be on the same side no matter if i'm going forward or backward. Do you guys have any idea of what's happening with this sled? Thank you!
I have the same sled Mcx190 . my stab kit is fine . But my track wanders all over and my track clips are wearing out my skid .
And heavy steering it's like 80 to 90 %of the weight is on the ski I think all these things are caused by
The center shock . the weak spring dose not keep the track tight enough and the shock rebound to slow so the track wanders
Heavy steering , skid wear I'm going to order a better shock and spring and a four wheel kit

It's hard to tell how the track moves when the sled is on the ground. When i stop in a trail, sometimes the track has moved to the left and sometimes it is ok but my guess is that when i brake hard it do a similar effect as when i put it into reverse.

Freakboy, have you done the test of lifting the back end and making it run forward and backward? Is it changing side when you change direction?

You are right about the center shock, it is way too soft. I always ear it bottoming. But i doubt it is the cause of my problem since when i do the test there is no weight on the skid.

What the four wheel kit look like?

I bought jt stealth big wheel kit. it's all aluminum real nice looking bigger bearing s and 8.5 in avid wheels all black look s not bad on sled.
Track seems to run a little better won't know how good till snow comes going to order a nice center shock next zbros lm thinking. I have not tried the forward back test
What does that tell

I have the exact problem with my sled. I've tried several things and still yet to figure it out. It actually wrecked my anti stab roller bearings from them not running centered. Dealer also couldn't fix it when they looked at it.

I Martens199! So here is what i did. On a lathe, I shortened the shaft that hold the skid on the tunnel (at the upper wheels) on the left side by 3/16'' and made three 1/16'' thick washers for adjustment and to ensure that total length remains the same. I ended up with 2 shims on the right and 1 shim on the left side so basically, the rear of the skid moved 1/8'' right at the bolting point. Now, with the rear of the sled lifted and the track running forward, the front of the track is really closed to be centered and always keep at least 5/16'' of gap between the front end of the right slider and the track's outer knobs. The track also seems to be more centered in the tunnel and chances are good that it wont rub in the tunnel anymore. I made the first tests and adjustments without the anti stab wheels so I knew it wasn't them that were keeping the track centered. After that i put back the new shaft (that the dealer replaced under warranty) and anti stab wheels. The track now seems a lot easier to rotate and is much more quiet. However, as soon as i put it in reverse the front of the track moves to the left as it did before so i can't say I found and solved the problem at it's source but considering the short distance and low speed that reverse is used on a sled, i dont think it really matters. If at least it's going fine forward, i'm ok with that! If you don't have access to a lathe, i'm sure about any machine shop can do it for cheap if you bring them the shaft to be shortened. I'm not sure my explanations are clear (my English being average) but I'll try to take a few pictures of the shaft and shims. Hope it help!

Ok so by doing so you have just slightly twisted the skid by moving just the upper mount over and not on the front. This is why I'm wondering if maybe my drop brackets are slightly bent over one way. But I might try this as well see if it fixes my problem. Have you tried testing it in the snow yet?

IMG_20161017_121528.jpg
IMG_20161017_121550.jpg

Here are the pictures! That's a 1/8'' shim on the left side and a 1/16'' shim on the right side. The shaft as been shortened 3/16'' at the right side. This means to have the skid back at its original place all three shims should be at the right side and now it is moved 1/8'' to the right.
I did it about a month ago so i didn't have the chance to ride it. Here the snowmobile season generally begins after Christmas. I can't wait to try it! I was also worried about the drop brackets but once you unbolt the shaft they become really loose so it's hard to tell if they are bent. I think however that the source of the problem is not about straightness cause the track would always rub on the same side even when i'm in reverse. Do your track moves the other side in reverse as mine?

Thanx some good info .I have never check it in reverse . Got the four wheel kit on and just installed a brand new

Skid shock elka with a heavy spring and I think I'm going to revalve the rear fox float to make it rebound faster
Will no more when it snow's

I think I found out the problem with the track alignment ,track walking all over rubbing on the skid clips wear on drivers.
I put my viper up on the sled lift. with skid up in the air. I went to the back of the tunnel I leaned over the tunnel
Faceing the back of the seat .I reached down with my arms and grabbed the track and wheels at the very back of the
Skid and pulled up and down right and left. I found that there was a bunch of free play very loose and sloppy.
When I pulled and pushed up and down right and left

It's at least 1/4 INCH up down right and left. where the top of the rear shock mounts that linkage is loose
And where the linkage go's down from there to the rails that linkage is sloppy the shafts that go through the linkage are tight
You can't find the slop when the Track has load , sitting on the ground. so when I turn left or right and side hill .the rails are sliding
Right or left and making the track misalign . my 162 mtx is at yamaha and I'm waiting to hear what the yamaha rep has to say

OK freakboy what you found is interresting. I will check my skid to see if i can feel any loose but from what I remember, when I removed the skid to measure it, everything was tight.

About the mod I did to the rear skid mount shaft, its better than before but it still has à strong tendancy to the right. I still try to find the real source of the problem.

OK freakboy what you found is interresting. I will check my skid to see if i can feel any loose but from what I remember, when I removed the skid to measure it, everything was tight.

About the mod I did to the rear skid mount shaft, its better than before but it still has à strong tendancy to the right. I still try to find the real source of the problem.
it's like they for got some bushing in mine

Ok I will take a look at mine too, see what it looks like. Good find!

Back