• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Weight Loss

Baillie78

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper Mtx LE 153"
Just wondering, I've been reading older threads and there's not a lot of numbers guys are getting for weight loss and power gains. Wondering if this has changed! Post what you have done!! Looking at doing intake mod header muffler and programmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running the air box mod, header and EVO 91 octane re-flash. There is a noticeable improvement in throttle response and it is easier to clutch due to the higher rev limiter. I had EVO set the rev limiter to 9400 RPM which is where the Nytro ECU limit was set at. I ride in the 2500' to 7000' elevation range and like to boondock/mountain ride. I figure that it is in the 145 to 150 hp range and since I'm not much of a chute climber it has plenty of power to take me where ever I want to go!

For weight loss I have,
Lithium battery -10lbs
Chrome moly rear skid arms -4lbs
Swapped out front skid shock for a float 3 -1.5lbs
Removed front inner idler wheels -2lbs
Carbon fiber tunnel extension -1lb (much more wet, due to reduced snow build up)
Mine started out life as a 2014 XF with a 42" front end and when I switched to the 38" 2016 mountain front end it saved another 4lbs.
Gripper skies -2lbs

Another notable mod, is that I eliminated the radiator and replaced it with a tunnel heat ex-changer. This reduced the air intake temps to close to ambient air temperature under most conditions and reduced the under hood temps significantly. It also pulls some weight out of the front of sled and transfers it towards the middle and rear as well.
You do have to run scratchers when on hard packed trails and can not sit there and let the sled idle indefinitely like you can with a radiator though. As long as your moving, it actually runs cooler due to the snow being thrown up on the coolers!

This is great info, I went out not long ago for a day in some good powder. And honestly coming from riding two strokes I was tuckered out from trying to throw it around. But I'm not giving up yet!

This is great info, I went out not long ago for a day in some good powder. And honestly coming from riding two strokes I was tuckered out from trying to throw it around. But I'm not giving up yet!

Not sure if your running the stock skis, but wider set of skis will help keep the front end up in deep snow and make it easier to ride. Lot's of good options out there in both the aftermarket and OEM. I prefer skis in the 7" wide range for the type of snow we have here. A mountain ski in the 7" to 8" range will usually work well on most four stroke sleds in deep snow.;)!

Id like to say it gets easier but its more like you get used to it :)
The biggest difference for me was changing the sh**ty front skid spring to a harder one from Z-broz, would highly recommend it. Makes the front end feel a lot lighter. While doing that I also changed the geometry/angle of the skid by adding some plates and move the front shock a bit. But i Think thats done on yours since its a 2016s.

Back