• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VK Pro II - Can it Self Cool?

Jack_Shaft

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
When Yamaha upgraded the VK Pro to the VK Pro II, did they build in self-cooling this time, like the Skandics? Yes, the VK Pro had a rad+fan and so does the VK Pro II but the VK Pro's system could never keep up with the engine like the Ski-doo ones can.

I'm not familiar with the term "self cool" but my 2020 Pro ll has never overheated. Buddy has an older Viking that does so I know what you mean. Just sitting the Scandics will shut off and my 2020 never does. If this doesn't answer your question try me again.

I'm not familiar with the term "self cool" but my 2020 Pro ll has never overheated. Buddy has an older Viking that does so I know what you mean. Just sitting the Scandics will shut off and my 2020 never does. If this doesn't answer your question try me again.

Self cooling is like an ATV or truck can do, work all day and the rad+fan keeps the engine at the proper temperature. The 600ACE and 900ACE can do this easily, and it is a fantastic feature when hauling heavy loads or grooming. These machines only shut off when unattended to, that has nothing to do with engine temp.

The VK Pro first gen will overheat fairly easily when grooming under load. I was wondering if the VK Pro 2 has the same band aid features as the previous gen (tiny rad+fan that is easily overcome) or if this system was upgraded to allow the engine to self cool.

Last edited:
My only relevant experience for reference would be bison hunting in the spring. I come out pulling two and once three skimmers in warm temps on a packed trail. There are big long hills and we run for two to three hours without trouble. But grooming is a different deal I understand.

My only relevant experience for reference would be bison hunting in the spring. I come out pulling two and once three skimmers in warm temps on a packed trail. There are big long hills and we run for two to three hours without trouble. But grooming is a different deal I understand.

Appreciate the response but ya, grooming really is a different animal. The VK Pro 2 that I was considering has sold anyways, so it's less of an issue for me now. I'll stick to the 2006 VK Pro for the big downpressure drag to flatten moguls and the 1996 Skandic WT 500F for trailbreaking.

Back