• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wet Weight Sleds

I was going to send them an email to clear up a few things.. Its a B grade effort for sure but at least someone is posting real world weights.

Looking at their numbers (both historical and current), the Cat 858 is going to be a runner if they can turn that extra 58cc into 5% more HP. Its quite a bit lighter than the rest even considering it has electric start and ATAC. With standard shocks and pull start it will be very light. Here is an updated chart with all of their latest numbers. I got rid of dry weights in this version because they uniformly seem to be BS. I just started to add notes (BT, ES, etc) and HP column is estimates until I find some corroboration.

1710250807434.png

Looking at their numbers (both historical and current), the Cat 858 is going to be a runner if they can turn that extra 58cc into 5% more HP. Its quite a bit lighter than the rest even considering it has electric start and ATAC. With standard shocks and pull start it will be very light. Here is an updated chart with all of their latest numbers. I got rid of dry weights in this version because they uniformly seem to be BS. I just started to add notes (BT, ES, etc) and HP column is estimates until I find some corroboration.

View attachment 175855
There's too much emphasis on weight IMO. I get it for mountain riding and off-trail exploring, but for trail riding where I spend 99.999999% of my time, HP easily trumps weight when it comes to acceleration and fun factor. Just look at the real world 1/4 mile results from a few years ago. Tells it all. I'd love to see another shootout like this with all the newest sleds.

There's too much emphasis on weight IMO. I get it for mountain riding and off-trail exploring, but for trail riding where I spend 99.999999% of my time, HP easily trumps weight when it comes to acceleration and fun factor. Just look at the real world 1/4 mile results from a few years ago. Tells it all. I'd love to see another shootout like this with all the newest sleds.

Weight matters (inertia) but traction and power are more important for sure. Weight also matters in trail riding but it does not trump handling. Also there is a matter of durability. I only calculate/track weight for two reasons, one is that it is an indicator of where a trade-off may be happening in sled development (see ski-doo getting progressively heavier), and as a guide for what new accessories (e.g. smart shocks) might weigh. It isn't a deal maker, but it is just good information. Agreed on the shootouts.

Weight matters (inertia) but traction and power are more important for sure. Weight also matters in trail riding but it does not trump handling. Also there is a matter of durability. I only calculate/track weight for two reasons, one is that it is an indicator of where a trade-off may be happening in sled development (see ski-doo getting progressively heavier), and as a guide for what new accessories (e.g. smart shocks) might weigh. It isn't a deal maker, but it is just good information. Agreed on the shootouts.
Funny thing about the 858 was watching the lesters test ride it , and there pinned every clip I saw , just can't see ir hanging with the srx for very long

Back