• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to do next to get my 2010 Nytro RTX SE to ride and handle better.

Farmer 73

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 NYTRO RTX SE, 2012 VECTOR, 2001 SXR 600, 2001 PHAZER, 2000 PHAZER, 1983 ENTICER EXCELL III
Hey I need some opinions on what to do to get my Nytro to ride and handle better. I thought I was pretty good until this past weekend running the Bill Nicholes trail, #3, between Twin Lakes and Houghton. I am sure most of you are familiar with that section and how it can get when the grooming is shut down because of the 50 degree temps and everybody and their brother are there riding. The trail turned into a 2' chop from one side of the trail to the other for miles. A very rithmatic chop with no line to find to try to even it out in some way. I would say in 40yrs of riding it was the worst I have ridden in, either that or I'm getting to old LOL. Tried skipping them, 70mph holding on for dear life and crawling over them just couldn't find anything better just worse. I then switched with the wife and rode her 2012 Vector for a mile or so and it was better than the Nytro in that it didn't feel like the front end found every little crevice like the Nytro did. So let me tell you how I have the Nytro set up. First I have the Star set back with a 128" iceripper track. I also have Star's spring extensions installed to lessen the harshness of the torsion springs. Both skid shocks have been revalved by Star to their recommendations. Being the RTX SE you all know these shocks and their adjustability! That's the rear, how ever I don't think that's the problem, but it might be contributing to it. Side note, I also have the OFT relocate and WRP 2" seat, these 2 items should have come stock!! I think the problem is obviously the front end! I have the stock Fox Float X shocks on the front, running 65psi in them. I have never had them bottom out, that I could tell anyway, but I don't want to drop the pressure in fear of clearance. It also handles flat as hell when the trail is smooth. I believe that is the give and take that you get with the Star relocate also the additional weight that it forces to the front end. I am running the stock ski's with 7.5 shaper bars. I have the front clickers, which I don't remember exactly, set where I thought it was good until maybe now. I was planning on getting an aftermarket front end and a set of curve skis next year to get rid of that sudden Nytro front end twitchiness that we all despise! But now I don't know, could it be the front shock compliance? What do you guys think? Man that took me a long time to peck out! Oh almost forgot, and most important, how do I get my wife to forgive me for taking her down that trail?

Coilover piggyback shocks in my opinion are far superior for trail riding. I have my gytrs valved and shortened by star and the front end handles amazing

Hey I need some opinions on what to do to get my Nytro to ride and handle better. I thought I was pretty good until this past weekend running the Bill Nicholes trail, #3, between Twin Lakes and Houghton. I am sure most of you are familiar with that section and how it can get when the grooming is shut down because of the 50 degree temps and everybody and their brother are there riding. The trail turned into a 2' chop from one side of the trail to the other for miles. A very rithmatic chop with no line to find to try to even it out in some way. I would say in 40yrs of riding it was the worst I have ridden in, either that or I'm getting to old LOL. Tried skipping them, 70mph holding on for dear life and crawling over them just couldn't find anything better just worse. I then switched with the wife and rode her 2012 Vector for a mile or so and it was better than the Nytro in that it didn't feel like the front end found every little crevice like the Nytro did. So let me tell you how I have the Nytro set up. First I have the Star set back with a 128" iceripper track. I also have Star's spring extensions installed to lessen the harshness of the torsion springs. Both skid shocks have been revalved by Star to their recommendations. Being the RTX SE you all know these shocks and their adjustability! That's the rear, how ever I don't think that's the problem, but it might be contributing to it. Side note, I also have the OFT relocate and WRP 2" seat, these 2 items should have come stock!! I think the problem is obviously the front end! I have the stock Fox Float X shocks on the front, running 65psi in them. I have never had them bottom out, that I could tell anyway, but I don't want to drop the pressure in fear of clearance. It also handles flat as hell when the trail is smooth. I believe that is the give and take that you get with the Star relocate also the additional weight that it forces to the front end. I am running the stock ski's with 7.5 shaper bars. I have the front clickers, which I don't remember exactly, set where I thought it was good until maybe now. I was planning on getting an aftermarket front end and a set of curve skis next year to get rid of that sudden Nytro front end twitchiness that we all despise! But now I don't know, could it be the front shock compliance? What do you guys think? Man that took me a long time to peck out! Oh almost forgot, and most important, how do I get my wife to forgive me for taking her down that trail?

Surprise her with one of her favorite things.......flowers, dinner etc.....

I've been down trails like that. Newberry has claimed a friends skid shock and a skid wheel off my nytro. But I came off a 04 440x rev and I have my nytro rtx taking the whooped trails better. I have my floats at 52.5lbs in the front. On the skid the straps are all the way out and. It much preload on the center shock. I have tried my floats at 65 and it slams hard on the woops. Try letting some air out. You won't bottom out, I'm 235 with no gear and I haven't bottomed out yet (and believe me I've tried) and your shocks are way better than mine.

Farmer 73 I can tell you with great confidence having fox float x shocks is your problem up front, this past fall I picked up a 2013 nytro that came with the Yamaha black basic coil spring shocks, I bought a pair of fox float x shocks only to be disappointed, I put then on a few days before leaving for a northern Ontario trip and I took them off the day after i came back and put the stockers back on, I tired all air pressures combined with compression and rebound adjustments nothing worked, the float X shocks transfer everything you ride over through your sled and eventually you feel it also... to keep this short they pretty much ruined my trip, since than I have put the coil over shocks back on and couldn't be happier... look for a set of gytr's front shocks you won't be disappointed, if you are I'll buy them off you cause I'm looking for a set so I can have the comp and rebound adjustments...

I've been down trails like that. Newberry has claimed a friends skid shock and a skid wheel off my nytro. But I came off a 04 440x rev and I have my nytro rtx taking the whooped trails better. I have my floats at 52.5lbs in the front. On the skid the straps are all the way out and. It much preload on the center shock. I have tried my floats at 65 and it slams hard on the woops. Try letting some air out. You won't bottom out, I'm 235 with no gear and I haven't bottomed out yet (and believe me I've tried) and your shocks are way better than mine.
Being towards the end of the year here I will give it a try! Like you I have my limiter straps all the way out and the front skid spring tightened pretty tight, it being a skidoo spring that star told me to get because Yamaha didn't have one heavy enough! Oh yeah I'm 255 without gear! Thank you for the suggestion!

Jut for reference I'll be 41 next Friday so I'm no spring chicked lol. I think I have my center spring loose. I'll check when I get home, but I'm still at 121. Looking to goto 128 but was undecided on the star vs rail extensions. I like the bumps and it seems like with more and more sleds out there the trails get choppy. How did it take the bumps before the star kit? Just think that with the skid farther back that it helps with cornering and shutter bumps but might suffer in the moguls making the front end want to dive in instead of staying flat. Just a thought but I have no experience with the star kit.

Farmer 73 I can tell you with great confidence having fox float x shocks is your problem up front, this past fall I picked up a 2013 nytro that came with the Yamaha black basic coil spring shocks, I bought a pair of fox float x shocks only to be disappointed, I put then on a few days before leaving for a northern Ontario trip and I took them off the day after i came back and put the stockers back on, I tired all air pressures combined with compression and rebound adjustments nothing worked, the float X shocks transfer everything you ride over through your sled and eventually you feel it also... to keep this short they pretty much ruined my trip, since than I have put the coil over shocks back on and couldn't be happier... look for a set of gytr's front shocks you won't be disappointed, if you are I'll buy them off you cause I'm looking for a set so I can have the comp and rebound adjustments...
Thanks for the reply Fabio. I think you could be right! With the little time we have left this year, I will try taking the pressure down and see how that reacts! I will be looking for some type of coil over shock, and it will probably be the stock GYTR'S. Hey had any of you try putting Hygear's dual chamber set up on? That might be a cheaper way to go and will get you closer to a coil over shock!

Jut for reference I'll be 41 next Friday so I'm no spring chicked lol. I think I have my center spring loose. I'll check when I get home, but I'm still at 121. Looking to goto 128 but was undecided on the star vs rail extensions. I like the bumps and it seems like with more and more sleds out there the trails get choppy. How did it take the bumps before the star kit? Just think that with the skid farther back that it helps with cornering and shutter bumps but might suffer in the moguls making the front end want to dive in instead of staying flat. Just a thought but I have no experience with the star kit.
Well I just turned 58 and still love this sport! The Star relocate does change the balance and puts more weight on the front! I never rode it without the relocate. I bought it in the summer and did the mod in the fall! The sled only had 1500mi on it and I needed a track for my 2001 SXR 600 (16000+ miles, motor never touched) so I figured I do this mod right away because of what I learned here and what they did to the Nytro for the CC Race team. I have rode a friend's Nytro a few years back, in fact the same exact model I have, and it was very hard to keep the ski's down going in and out of corners! I don't feel at all that it suffers in the moguls. It's that 1 to 2 foot rithmatic chop that gets me! Front shocks seems to be my problem!

No problem Farmer 73...
I've tried lowering the psi as low as possible and still had no luck, I've done about 1500km since putting back the stock 2013 coil over shocks and there's a huge difference in the front end, in the fall I should of listened to Robert from star when I asked him how the 2013 front shocks were, he told me just send your rear shocks, you will be happy with the front shocks Yamaha put on they work great for trailing riding....
there's very little dampening with the fox X shocks definitely not a trail shock imo...
I haven't tried the hygear setup or know anybody who has on the fox float x but my money will go to finding a set of gytr's, that's just my opinion, someone should reply and answer your ? on adding the chamber...

I'd like to here on the hygear chamber as well. I called them last year about them and they told me that they help a great deal on the shutter bumps and trail running but for big bumps the float does the work. I have not put them on yet but I think Fabio is right. He has the trail time on both shocks and that is good advice when think of spending money.

No problem Farmer 73...
I've tried lowering the psi as low as possible and still had no luck, I've done about 1500km since putting back the stock 2013 coil over shocks and there's a huge difference in the front end, in the fall I should of listened to Robert from star when I asked him how the 2013 front shocks were, he told me just send your rear shocks, you will be happy with the front shocks Yamaha put on they work great for trailing riding....
there's very little dampening with the fox X shocks definitely not a trail shock imo...
I haven't tried the hygear setup or know anybody who has on the fox float x but my money will go to finding a set of gytr's, that's just my opinion, someone should reply and answer your ? on adding the chamber...
Fabio, Do you too have the Star relocate running a 128" track?

Yes I do have the star relocate, in 2013 Yamaha went to 2.82 pitch track so mine is actually 129" star kit but no difference from the 128" star kit...

Yes I do have the star relocate, in 2013 Yamaha went to 2.82 pitch track so mine is actually 129" star kit but no difference from the 128" star kit...
Cool! Do you plan on sticking with the stock front end or are you considering trying something different?

Back