• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to Expect.

The Apex is electric smooth with great throttle response. Smoother than the Winder. It's down on power compared. I'm running stage 4 power and the mid range is awesome, makes the Apex feel like a Phazer. Even stock the Winder is head a shoulders above a stock Apex. Once you ride the Winder the Apex is a
distant memory.
lol thanks for the response!! Great to hear!!

How do you compare the two motors?? The 4 cylinder in the Apex is such a sweet engine imo(smooth, quick reving, incredibly responsive). How's the new Turbo compare to the Apex motor?

The Apex is electric smooth with great throttle response. Smoother than the Winder. It's down on power compared. I'm running stage 4 power and the mid range is awesome, makes the Apex feel like a Phazer. Even stock the Winder is head a shoulders above a stock Apex. Once you ride the Winder the Apex is a
distant memory.

Great to hear!! Can't wait to try it out!! Thank you for the info Shagnos!

Its been a while since I had my Apex but I never remember owning a sled that accelerates as hard as my Sidewinder. The SW pulls so hard that it can get away from you if your not careful. My Apex never gave me that feeling.

Wow!! Hope I feel the same way when I jump on my new Sidewinder. Thank you fur the response XP123.

With respect, I totally disagree with the negative comments on the apex. Certainly when comparing a stage 4 winder to a naturally aspirated apex, one might say the apex is a "turd" power wise.
I am coming off an 07 super charged apex with 10lbs of boost. Many have asked me how I like my stage 4 winder compared to my apex. I CAN'T honestly say that my winder is light years ahead of my apex. I like them both for different reasons. Having comparative horsepower in my situation, my apex pulls harder than my winder but the winder has more top end. I've had 3 apex's and have always love the mono shock suspension. It is hands down the best suspension I have ever ridden for all around trail conditions.
Having put on 1800 miles on my winder this year, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised with how the winder chassis works. But I can't say that I wouldn't jump back on my apex and ride it with a big smile on my face!
To answer your original question in this post: I have not owned a viper, but I can tell you this chassis works well once dialled in to your liking. It takes a bit of fine tuning. The power will blow your mind. The reliability and sheer quality of the sled rings true to the Yamaha brand we have come to know and love. You will not be disappointed!

With respect, I totally disagree with the negative comments on the apex. Certainly when comparing a stage 4 winder to a naturally aspirated apex, one might say the apex is a "turd" power wise.
I am coming off an 07 super charged apex with 10lbs of boost. Many have asked me how I like my stage 4 winder compared to my apex. I CAN'T honestly say that my winder is light years ahead of my apex. I like them both for different reasons. Having comparative horsepower in my situation, my apex pulls harder than my winder but the winder has more top end. I've had 3 apex's and have always love the mono shock suspension. It is hands down the best suspension I have ever ridden for all around trail conditions.
Having put on 1800 miles on my winder this year, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised with how the winder chassis works. But I can't say that I wouldn't jump back on my apex and ride it with a big smile on my face!
To answer your original question in this post: I have not owned a viper, but I can tell you this chassis works well once dialled in to your liking. It takes a bit of fine tuning. The power will blow your mind. The reliability and sheer quality of the sled rings true to the Yamaha brand we have come to know and love. You will not be disappointed!
You must have had a better Apex than I did. I had an 06 and compared to my 1200 Doo and my SW it felt like a heavy tank. I didn't like the seating position or the drone of the exhaust or the way it handled. The mono shock was pretty good but I wouldn't want to ride it now. The engine was fine and I can't say anything bad about it but I will stick to my comments about the SW engine in comparison. The SW has over 200 hp compared to my Apex of 140 hp and the sw is lighter and better balanced. Now if you want to talk about a turd my 08 Nytro was the biggest POS I ever owned but some guys liked them after spending huge dollars to make them not ride and handle like a lumber wagon.

I would love to ride a boosted Apex. Like I said except for the engine. It is smooth and snappy plus sounds great.
The Winder is just so much better. I rode the same trail within minutes trying both sleds. Attempted the same speed on the Apex as the Winder and almost got thrown off the sled. Rode 5 more miles and could not take the punishment. Went back and got the Winder.

You must have had a better Apex than I did. I had an 06 and compared to my 1200 Doo and my SW it felt like a heavy tank. I didn't like the seating position or the drone of the exhaust or the way it handled. The mono shock was pretty good but I wouldn't want to ride it now. The engine was fine and I can't say anything bad about it but I will stick to my comments about the SW engine in comparison. The SW has over 200 hp compared to my Apex of 140 hp and the sw is lighter and better balanced. Now if you want to talk about a turd my 08 Nytro was the biggest POS I ever owned but some guys liked them after spending huge dollars to make them not ride and handle like a lumber wagon.

The Apex was 150 hp all day long, not 140. And the 150 claim imo might have been a LIL low too. However I agree, there's a huge difference between 150 hp, and 205 hp!!! And I was speaking of stock vs stock. And the lighter aspect of the SW Chassis, along with the vastly increased HP, should make a huge difference in seat of the pants feel. That's what I'm hoping for!

Thank you to all those that chimed in on my question!! Great info here.

The Apex was 150 hp all day long, not 140. And the 150 claim imo might have been a LIL low too. However I agree, there's a huge difference between 150 hp, and 205 hp!!! And I was speaking of stock vs stock. And the lighter aspect of the SW Chassis, along with the vastly increased HP, should make a huge difference in seat of the pants feel. That's what I'm hoping for!

Thank you to all those that chimed in on my question!! Great info here.
Well I'm glad you got your question "chimed" in on. But when I started this thread I to had a question and all I got was comparisons to the 850, 1200 and Apex's. For the record I loved the power of my Apex way back when. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone come off a Viper to a SW? Bueller?

Well I'm glad you got your question "chimed" in on. But when I started this thread I to had a question and all I got was comparisons to the 850, 1200 and Apex's. For the record I loved the power of my Apex way back when. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone come off a Viper to a SW? Bueller?
Good point! Now I'm assuming your Viper has the same engine as my Nytro did right? If so then the power difference will be huge. I have no idea how the Viper rides and handles but the SW with the QS3 shocks is awesome. Just that alone should be a big improvement over your Viper.

Friend of mine bought a new 14 Viper...thing handled well(good Chassis no doubt), but the thing had no real power at all!! 82 mph on railroad bed was all he Could get. My Apex went by him so dam fast, practically blew him off the frieken sled...seriously!! He traded it in that day for a new Apex lol!!
Those Vipers sucked crap with regard to power..assuming you didn't put a Turbo on it???

There should be no comparison to the Sidewinder coming off a Stock Viper Period!! I can't believe they(yamaha) made such a slow sled??? 130 hp vs 205 hp..you do the math!!

Left a 14 viper ltx se(NA) for a 17 SW LTX LE. Handling and 'heavy' steering took some tweaking of the suspension and the tuner 3's had to go. The viper rode well and was a blast from 0-60mph on most trails with decent suspension and ride, or so I thought until i tore through the whoopdidoos on the new SW with Qs3r all around. I was immediately impressed by the elegance of this setup and shock package. It took some tweaking and exchanging of parts to handle well but all in all, the shear power, ride of the qs3r's and never ending pull make it hard to even consider it to be in the same league as my old viper. The rider position is slightly different as well with a more upright and forward position than on the viper. On the viper, my knees were always banging the front panels and got sore after awhile. The SW, no issue. Hope this helps.

14 Viper LTX, then 15 Viper STX-DX. Liked them both, 15 rode way better and handled well. Put Curves on 15 and could not believe how much better it handled, if just one person in power at Yamaha rode a sled with Curves, or any good aftermarket skis then tuner problem would be gone. Really loved my 15Viper but a little disappointed with top end speed. But for a 600 class sled it did alright. Now have a 17 Sidewinder XTX-Se, its amazing, handles better, something to do with how engine sits back I guess. Put some pilot skis on this thing and it just rails, can't believe its even same chassis as Viper it handles so much better. Power is amazing. Will try Curves on it if we get more snow next year.
Something I find interesting on Winder is how easy it is drive. Idling down an old blown in winding trail, we couldn't even get going faster than walking speed with lots of stops to clear brush. To just flat out stupid speeds on good trails it doesn't miss a beat.
The best sled I have ever owned.

Left a 14 viper ltx se(NA) for a 17 SW LTX LE. Handling and 'heavy' steering took some tweaking of the suspension and the tuner 3's had to go. The viper rode well and was a blast from 0-60mph on most trails with decent suspension and ride, or so I thought until i tore through the whoopdidoos on the new SW with Qs3r all around. I was immediately impressed by the elegance of this setup and shock package. It took some tweaking and exchanging of parts to handle well but all in all, the shear power, ride of the qs3r's and never ending pull make it hard to even consider it to be in the same league as my old viper. The rider position is slightly different as well with a more upright and forward position than on the viper. On the viper, my knees were always banging the front panels and got sore after awhile. The SW, no issue. Hope this helps.
That's the info I was looking for, thanks. I for sure am taking the Curves off my Viper for the SW. I tried Tuners on my xtx Nytro and didn't work. They were junk on my Viper as well. Nothing bad to say about my Viper it was by far the most fun sled to ride that I've owned and hope the SW surpasses it. Can't wait for the QS3's.

lol thanks for the response!! Great to hear!!

How do you compare the two motors?? The 4 cylinder in the Apex is such a sweet engine imo(smooth, quick reving, incredibly responsive). How's the new Turbo compare to the Apex motor?
No contest,motor to motor w/out boost,well ape all the way,but turbo either motor,and than you have an absolute animal,and in the case of the SW,well it is an animal,stock,but whip it up some,Wow hold on,nothing beats a well tuned and boosted motor,this 3 cylinder does not have the sweet sound of the 4 banger,but once you hammer down any trail,you will forget all about that sound from the ape,also hard to wipe the smile off your face too..Enjoy

my apex must be a good one,stock motor with stock primary clutch except spring and 23/40 gears,no reverse,I can hit 125 on speedo anytime and ive used 2 belts in 17000 miles,never drove a sw but drove several vipers,different beast than apex but love my 06rtx ,like hearing all good reviews on sw experience,its ordered anyway so im sure it'll work

Back