• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats it take to beat a 1200?

Nemesis6

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Attack
Thinking about buying a pre 11 Apex. My buddy has a 15 1200 doo doo and it has been beating my RX1 all the time. What do I have to do to the Apex to make it run with a Cudneyed 1200?

I would think an Apex would destroy a stock Ski Doo 1200. My brother has a 2015 1200 Renegade and he might be 2/3 mph faster than my Vector LTX. I'm assuming the 1200 has the Powerbloc clutch on it and maybe a few more add on's . First you should buy a 136" long track or a Newer 2011 XTX version of the Apex. Next get an Ulmer clutch kit , larger Ski doo idler wheels , small windshield and single keel ski's not the tuners with the twin Keels, a Gates carbon belt might make it a little quicker but the stock Yamaha belt is very good.
Studs if you need them.

If he beats you with this basic setup he has something added to the 1200 he is not telling you. I ride with my brother almost every time I go and the Ski Doo is a great machine but it should not beat an Apex !

is your rx clutched? it should hang pretty close if not faster with the right clutching.

When you say beats, you mean what exactly?
He pulls you off the line?
He passes you and you cant keep up?
He has a higher top speed?
I dont know what cudney parts your buddy is running On his 1200, but my 06 apex is all stock with the exception of an iceripper track.
I walk all over my buddys stock 09 doo 1200.
Its not even close. There is absolutely no comparison.
It would seem to me that theres something wrong with your rx1

I dont know what cudney parts your buddy is running On his 1200, but my 06 apex is all stock with the exception of an iceripper track.

that is what i think too. never was really into racing but with a trail clutch kit with no studs on an 05 rx war, i waxed a buddys #*$&@ on his 800 rev on hard pack and he had a whole bunch of that cudney stuff in that motor and studs to boot. meanwhile my brothers 02 136" sx viper would destroy me in the powder. on the pack though he had no chance.

If I do get off the line with him he pulls me all the way through. If we do a rollon, he will pull me about three lengths and then slowly pull away. This is on groomed trails, not ice. His sled has the PB80, header and reflash from Cudney racing and he is beating 800 Etecs no problem. Very good working sled. I want to know if an Apex with some mild mods would have a chance. I dont want to upgrade and still get beat.

lots of variables here ,but if you get the {traction} to the ground! - have a smooth rolling drivetrain (good bearings and hyfaxs)- aligned track not to tight !- clean clutches- and a great reaction thumb you will be able to wave him goodbye as he gets white washed by your Apex! Top end he will have no chance !

i have taking them out before ,stock or slightly worked.but im not stock. good luck!

I have not found a 1200 that could come close to me. Am I missing something?

I have not found a 1200 that could come close to me. Am I missing something?
If I do get off the line with him he pulls me all the way through. If we do a rollon, he will pull me about three lengths and then slowly pull away. This is on groomed trails, not ice. His sled has the PB80, header and reflash from Cudney racing and he is beating 800 Etecs no problem. Very good working sled. I want to know if an Apex with some mild mods would have a chance. I dont want to upgrade and still get beat.

The 1200 has some add on's and the transfer in the rear skid is very good. With all the simple suggestions people have listed I would think the Apex should destroy it! I would say the Apex should be ahead by 3-4 sled lengths in 2000 ft. If he beats you then he has a bottle of NOS hidden in there someplace.

So has anyone run against a 1200 with the header and reflash and tuned to run at 8700? This guy has beaten all the stock Apexes around here and he is definitely not running nos. And its not just a couple of Apexes. We run occasionally with at least 6 Apexes and they have all wanted a shot at him at one time or another. I want to know if is possible to beat this 1200 with a clutch kit and maybe some gear changes. Also is there any other changes I can make without breaking the bank and still be trailable.

He beats that many Apexs ! wonder if any of these apex owners are on this forum,and would like to comment if there one of the guys getting beat by this DooDoo.?

Last edited:

Just the cudney mods you listed are almost $2000. If he has that, im sure he has more he is not telling you.

So has anyone run against a 1200 with the header and reflash and tuned to run at 8700? This guy has beaten all the stock Apexes around here and he is definitely not running nos. And its not just a couple of Apexes. We run occasionally with at least 6 Apexes and they have all wanted a shot at him at one time or another. I want to know if is possible to beat this 1200 with a clutch kit and maybe some gear changes. Also is there any other changes I can make without breaking the bank and still be trailable.

Personally i have not. Racing is not my thing. I do it and have done it but its usually just to shut someone up and end all the annoying noises comming out of their mouth. Lol
The 1200 doo with a reflash and header (and probably a muffler) is gonna make similar power to an apex.
Sounds like you need to focus on gearing and clutching and traction.
While i believe your friend has a good running doo, for it to be spanking apexes like you say, i think theres something he is not telling you (internal motor mods, head work, throttle body bored etc)

Last edited:

Back