• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats it take to beat a 1200?

That is usually the case with the 2 stroke machines but doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with this machine, at least the 121 vs the 136. It must be the wider torque band that tends to nullify that issue of scrubbing top end. Most of the dealers I know said they have experienced the same. I have had mine up to 116 also but was running out of real estate, though it was still climbing. I can't speak for the newer Apex's being they were changed to 128's or 144's. My 136 seems to pull my buddies 2011 144 which is clutched like mine.

To add to this a friend of mine had a 2006 Apex GT short track. He ended up converting it to a 136, skid, track and gearing. At the time he also owned an identical 2007 Attak GT like mine. The '07 Attak always outran the '06 Apex, after he did the conversion the 2006 was a bit faster.

Another key is these 4 cylinders seem to get stronger with more miles as long as you keep up with the maintenance. I have over 15,000 miles on mine, my friends 2011 144 only has 1900 on it.

I am not saying this is set in stone, the rotating mass makes sense. I know the 121's are geared higher. I just think in general the 136 version feels more planted and just hooks up better. I pretty much ride with all Apex's so I have had several to compare to. We always toss the standard Ripsaw tracks too. Every time I ride a short track 121 I notice a big difference. They seem to feel more squirrely, they spin and dart more and the rear skid feels more jarring and choppy. I really prefer this machine in a longer track.
You say you had yours to 116mph. Was that on the speedometer or GPS?

A lot of people don't understand that gearing down a lot of times you get better top end numbers when clutched right a 136 apex geared 23/39 still will go 110 mph easily the prop is at best you only get ,7% of overdrive.iam going to put a pb80 on mine and my team tied secondary will give me at least 15% overdrive so I can gear prob 22/38 and still sustain good legs. The prob when geared down you can spin your gears away when racing in snow easily I've ran against many longtracks and pulled jusyt as hard but out a ways I start to roll away but I have a45/128 front spring stock weights 3 grams added to heal 2 grams in middle of first 2 riviots ant 2 grams on toe a team tied secondary with 75/57 rear helix comes out at 10500 and over 100 its turning ,10800
E
On my older 2 stroke Yamaha's on several of them I was geared down and experienced better performance for the way I wanted it to perform. Speaking of overdrive, yes the setups such as what Duane Watt and Lonn Peterson sold (guys that marketed Heavy Hitters, Dial A Jet, 911 clutch Covers, roller kits....etc) they recommend you gear down 1.5 teeth if you run their overdrive sheave. Makes sense since you have essentially changed the ratio bringing the belt to the top of the primary and also into the secondary a bit more with a helix internal cut.

I have a machinist buddy at work that can machine my clutches for OD. He did it to my old 2 stroke Viper but I haven't had it done on the Attak. He does it to all his sleds being he is a speed run guy on the old SRX's. He came close to beating the world record just a few weeks ago on an SRX 700.

The only bad thing when you factor overdrive into top speed is that past 1to1. Clutches loss some efficacy so condition have to be good for good top end numbers I alslo found when geared low racing on trails you can spin threw your gears to fast before sled can get good speed so 23/38 works best for me without full overdrive now Ice is another story.with my team tied secondary after I figured out what it like I can run 5 extra grams and still backshifts fast the trick with them I'd not to spring them heavey and they will give good top numbers and excellent acceration

The only bad thing when you factor overdrive into top speed is that past 1to1. Clutches loss some efficacy so condition have to be good for good top end numbers I alslo found when geared low racing on trails you can spin threw your gears to fast before sled can get good speed so 23/38 works best for me without full overdrive now Ice is another story.with my team tied secondary after I figured out what it like I can run 5 extra grams and still backshifts fast the trick with them I'd not to spring them heavey and they will give good top numbers and excellent acceration
What do you mean by spin through your gears?

My 2017 apex started life as a 121. and I always geared it 22/38 . A few years before i sold it I extended it to a 136. It didn't lose any speed with the longer track. With 22/38 and 136 track I had it going 117 on gps, also with 216 1.63 trigger studs.
Over the years reading post on here the longer track versions of the same sled were 1 or 2 mph faster.

Back