• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats with all the stuck starters lately.

new order

Just ordered two starter savers for both my Yamahas. Canadian order so I am sure i'll get them for next winter haha. Got to love our customs office...
Thank you so much!

Thanks Rock,

Starter saver installed and works as described.
I mounted the LED right side of speedo pod opposite of the Yamaheater LED.
My OCD is back in balance now that I have symmetircal
LED lights.

Starter savers finally came in I am thinking of installing on the gas tank shroud so when I open my hoods there is no wire issues. Maybe beside the key switch.

I just got around to installing my starter saver. Super easy install. I ended up using a delco weather pack connector for easy disconnect. My indicator is mounted in the panel that the ignition switch is in.

Weatherpack.jpg

Also, I decided to dress it up a bit and use a chrome LED holder that I had left over from another project. Here is a photo of it. Radio Shack sells these 2 in pack for under 2 bucks! Its item number 276-080 at The Shack.

pRS1C-2160469w345.jpg

Thanks for the starter saver Rock!

Snowmobileaddict said:
I just got around to installing my starter saver. Super easy install. I ended up using a delco weather pack connector for easy disconnect. My indicator is mounted in the panel that the ignition switch is in.

Weatherpack.jpg

Also, I decided to dress it up a bit and use a chrome LED holder that I had left over from another project. Here is a photo of it. Radio Shack sells these 2 in pack for under 2 bucks! Its item number 276-080 at The Shack.

pRS1C-2160469w345.jpg

Thanks for the starter saver Rock!

Thanks for the info/tips. ;)!
(should get around to doing mine as well I suppose?)

To answer the first few questions.

Have seen this on almost every model
It is almost always a key switch or starter solenoid problem.
(All our sleds have these parts in them.)
Even though the starter fails, the starter itself is NOT the problem, it is a symptom of the problem.
(The bolts coming loose on some of the starters & the starter loosing indexing, is a totally separate issue/problem not related to this one.)

When you think about it, every current Yamaha sled has a starter, so simply put, they will have more starter related issues of some type, just because there are a BUNCH of them out there.
(It's simple math, and has nothing to do with a quality issue of any kind.)

If your starter sticks on, your sled and starter doesn't care what RPMs you are at, it only cares how long it is stuck on.

The reason is this:
The starter clutch design on the Yamahas is so good, that it makes almost NO noise when the starter is stuck on AND your sled is running.
(And is rarely even harmful to the starter clutch, it works that well.)
Unfortunately, this also means you have no warning that you starter is stuck on until major damage has happened to your sled & it dies.

It goes like this:
1)Starter sticks on. (You have no idea)
You go riding. In the meantime your starter is drawing serious current and getting hotter & hotter.
It is NOT meant to run at 100% duty cycle (no starter is) & this will eventually kill it.
2)Your sleds stator is being overloaded.
(Sometimes it takes out the stator immediately, sometimes it takes a
while for the damage to appear, either way, it is doing damage.)
3)Your battery is being drained as you ride.
4)You only find out something is wrong when your sled dies, because either the fuel injection system, or the ignition system, does not have enough power to operate.
5)You try cranking your sled to re-start & most times you only hear a squeal.
(The squeal is from SERIOUS current being drawn through your now shorted/fried starter.)

The key to all this is, we need a Warning that a simple key switch failure and/or solenoid failure will not cause a very expensive starter/stator failure.
(Every key switch & solenoid on the planet will eventually fail, including our sled ones.)

I have the Starter Savers available that provides the exact warning we need.
The Starter Saver flashes a Very Bright RED LED if your starter should stick on for any reason.

That way, you DO have a warning and know something is wrong BEFORE it does serious expensive damage to your sled.

Have 25 available that I will send out for the cost of shipping only. ($5 US)
This will give you guys an idea what they do, how to install, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

EDIT:
The free ones went fast! :Rockon:

Read to the end of the thread to see how to get one.
Am running a 2 for 1 special right now.
rock i need help!.....I put a used starter on last week...my shaft had broke loose. worked fine for 500 miles....yesterday morning would not start just click.,...wouldnt cross over at relay, but if i put direct power to the starter the sled would try to start. so i took starter off...brushes failed...swapped brushes, click goes away but now alls it does is whirl n whirl makes a power noise...this is what it did the first time when the shaft was broke....this shaft doesn't seem loose tho!

Suggest taking it off & find out.
Have seen the Shaft come loose from the windings and the gearing.
That also many times makes a galling sound.

Might also hunt up a good rebuilder, and have them rebuild the starter.
From my experience, nothing beats a stock starter.
Have had many friends with aftermarket ones that did not work.
(Or didn't very long!)

Hope this helps!

Rock :rocks:

Suggest taking it off & find out.
Have seen the Shaft come loose from the windings and the gearing.
That also many times makes a galling sound.

Might also hunt up a good rebuilder, and have them rebuild the starter.
From my experience, nothing beats a stock starter.
Have had many friends with aftermarket ones that did not work.
(Or didn't very long!)

Hope this helps!

Rock :rocks:
Do you have the starter savers in stock?? Looking for 2 of them.

Will be ordering a couple shortly. Seems like something that should be part of the basic ECU functions. Don't you think?

There is no connection between the ECU & the starter controls for the ECU to monitor.
No manufacturer checks for this possible fault.
(In fact some auto manufacturers auto-start programs can make things much worse, they do not check for starter engagement yet can keep trying the starter & destroy the starter/flywheel in the process.)

Read my original post: http://ty4stroke.com/threads/whats-with-all-the-stuck-starters-lately.99871/
Towards the bottom of the page.
That explains many of the reasons for why this happens.

Generally it is because Yamaha's Starter works SO well that it makes it hard to detect.

Back