• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

When is it to late to think turbo?

savageman69

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 arctic cat zr 7000 limited
id love to step up to the sidewinder, however the prices are outrageous here for our current seasons and i really hate what they did with the nose and hood personally. My 7000/viper has been unreal it just hit 10,000kms and it has not had a single part failure, required very little to maintain and its a blast. I have it setup the way i like and im loving it...however ive always wanted a turbo, i love the bov sound the nice out of hood intake and the power to do everything and anything. So here lies my question, is it to late? I love wrenching and install would be no big deal just is 10,000kms to late to now decide turbo? whats the normal life of a 1049?

I think id like to go with a 190-240ish kit and with an intercooler as we ride mild temps down in these southern areas.

I don't think it's too late at all. This motor is pretty bullet proof imo...
If you keep your eye open you can get a good deal on a used one if you wanted.. I picked my kit up for just over 2000$ with gauges and clutching...
I was looking at a used hurricane turbo kit with 8000km before I got the MPI kit
I contacted Dave at hurricane to ask him if that was too many Kms for his kit and he said it was still like new
The hurricane kit is a much simpler install.
On kiji they have new mpi kits selling for 2800$ Canadian

Last edited:
I'm on the same fence. I like the sled overall, just lacks the ponies. I'm watching to see what is offered for 2018 and that will be my guide I guess. While I don't know that I NEED 240HP, in talking to Dave at Hurricane it sounds like it is more what I want. Revised cam timing to decrease overlap is said to make the bottom end punch really aggressive. Not looking forward to the shim install though...

Hoping Dave runs another spring sale on these kits. or I can find a good deal somewhere.

Last edited:
I'd say your just fine. If I remember correctly you're in the huron county area. Last time I was in at Brians service center he said he had some mpi kits left. I'm sure you could get them for cheap.

I have complete sled set up with a 190 Hurricane turbo I will sell you

I have complete sled set up with a 190 Hurricane turbo I will sell you
And if you want to go hurricane I have the intercooler for that setup. And the quiet muffler. My parents live just outside of Mitchell so I'm close.

Mine is sled and all.........

Brians wants 3200 for their left over mpi kits....i think id rather go with hurricane at that price, and no i dont want another sled if im going to sell my sled ill buy a sidewinder

Brians wants 3200 for their left over mpi kits....i think id rather go with hurricane at that price, and no i dont want another sled if im going to sell my sled ill buy a sidewinder
Holy, I didn't think he would want that much for them. I would for sure go with Dave at that price point. Dave is a great guy to deal with and his kit is awesome. If you decided to go with him let me know as I have an intercooler I'd let go for a good price for that kit and I also have the quiet muffler.

Hurricane is over 5000$ Canadian with clutching but a easy installation
Remember all the prices on his site is us $

Hurricane is over 5000$ Canadian with clutching but a easy installation
Remember all the prices on his site is us $
i wasnt aware of that...so likely go mpi then, installation difficulty doesnt worry me im pretty handy

Savageman69 on kijiji there is a hurricane kit asking 3000$ with intercooler gearing and I think clutching
(6000$ + for this kit new) this is the kit I contacted Dave about and he said it's like new with 8000km on it!

If you go mpi and need reference I'll help you out ...
It's a big job installing mpi btw

If you go mpi and need reference I'll help you out ...
It's a big job installing mpi btw

Its a big job but it looks so professional when done. I paid 23oo for mine from Yamaha when I spring ordered and was 600 for them to install. I have had my rods replaced but they were the good ones anyways. I love it compared to my friends NA XF7000.

Back