• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Where do I go next with my clutching?

DeerHuntr

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Well after my latest flash I was over revving real bad and finding the limiter again at 9350 rpm. I cleaned up my clutches yesterday, added a washer to the tip and threw on a new belt. Went for a little ride today and the conditions are horrible, 38° and the trails are complete slush. When I hit it from a stop it hits 8500 till traction is gained then it pulls down to around 8200 and will rebound and quickly climb to 8600-8800. My concern is it's pulling really really hard today in these conditions and I think I'm going to be still running too many RPM when conditions improve. Where do I add weight next if needed? It worked very well today for what I was riding in, saw 89 mph and it was still pulling when I let off, last weekend I could only get 83 and it was done. It seems to be very strong in the midrange. Sled is a 14 RTX, 2500 miles and has the latest flash, Ulmer clutch kit, secondary wrapped 6-2, DD trail can.

One washer did that? You must have been in perfect conditions to hit limiter first day and terrible speed conditions the second day? That's a huge range. Something does not seem right. You absolutely positive your belt is not slipping?

I should clarify, I was finding the limiter when it spun, it was pretty consistent 9100-9200 once everything stabilized. I mentioned the 9350 more because the limiter is quite a bit higher than it was pre flash. It would be interesting to see a dyno run before and after the current flash, it definitely changed things. Conditions were absolutely terrible yesterday, it was pretty much like hitting the brake when you let off the throttle. I think I may be close when conditions improve. I guess I was just wondering what the next logical place to add or take away weight would be if I still have a over rev issue in good conditions? My clutches were very dirty before, I cleaned everything up and threw on a new belt before leaving yesterday. After 15-20 miles in that crap and a pull up to 85 mph I stopped and opened up the side panel and the clutches were warm but I could hold my hand on them indefinitely so it isn't slipping anymore even if it was before.

Last edited:

Back