• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which drive belt do you recommend?

swampdog

What works best with the VK Pro?

Choices include the stock Yamaha Belt, Dayco belts, or the Carlisle Pro or Carlisle XS.

The original Yamaha belt did not last long, and it now has a Dayco on it. The Dayco is nearly new, so I don't know how it will stand up.

I'm leaning towards the Carlisle XS. Or is it not suitable for a work sled?

wow. the stock yamaha belts wear like iron. your motor might be out of alignment. i do know that for longevity you do want to run the yamy belt as the other ones are softer and do not last as long.

maim said:
wow. the stock yamaha belts wear like iron. your motor might be out of alignment. i do know that for longevity you do want to run the yamy belt as the other ones are softer and do not last as long.

I don't think there is a problem with the alignment. I bought it used, with about 800 miles, and the former owner had just put a new Dayco belt on it.

bottlerocket said:
OEM should be the best belt price wise and for longeivity.

The Yamaha dealer does not have a belt in stock, although they say that they can get it. Here in Canada, Yamaha also wants about double the price of a Yamaha belt in the USA. Most parts at the Yamaha dealer are a real rip off here north of the border, even with our dollar at more or less par with the US dollar.

When I recently paid the Yamaha dealer about $24 for an oil filter (no one else had it), I complained to the dealer. He told me that he knows that Yamaha Canada is not giving their dealers good pricing. He also said something about Yamaha Canada recently being "sold" to new owners. That seems kind of odd, but that's what he said. He's hoping the new ownership arrangement will mean prices closer to US prices. Let's hope so.

Anyway, because of the terrible pricing from Yamaha, I try to patronize anyone but the Yamaha parts counter. I don't like being a victim.

my vote is for the Yamaha belt. It amazes me actually how good those belts really are. Much better than any after market belt that I have tried. Make sure to break your belt in, take your time for the first 50km. As for price, no belt worth putting on a sled is gonna be cheap and some of the after markets that are more expenisve than yammie belts are not worth a f***.

It cost me 180 bucks to change the engine and chaincase oil on two machines without changing the filters. 7 bottles of synthetic oil, 2 bottles of chaincase lube and a tube of grease. I did the oil change myself. If I had to change the filters it would have been well over 200$.(for two machines)

now think how me and my dad feel when we do it on 5 sleds. 3 liters a sled. 13 dollars a liter for yamalube 0-40. 15 dollars a filter for each. sleds get greased after each ride.(except for phazer cuz it usually only does 30 km a day to school and back, not worth greasin after 30 km). then sliders. 45 a sled for sliders once a season. i'd spend more to ride a yamaha anyday. the 50 dollar oil change is penuts compaired to the expensive oil two strokes burn...must have gold in it or somthing

smalltownpower said:
stock yamaha belt is the best. lasts the longest, and is only 91 dollars here in saskatchewan. as for 24 dollars for a oil filter...thats crazy i paid 15. but i bought 5 at once.

$91 in Canada and much less than that in the US. They must think us Canadians have nothing but money - and that we are stupid to boot.

actually the dayco is cheaper than the yamaha but the compund is softer so it will fail sooner. do not have a new local dealer yet but i was getting 8dn belts for under $10.00 tax in. i only have ever bought one away from home and i got raped on that one for $130.00.

I've ridden lots of sleds through the years and the one rule that fits all has been that stock belts work better than any of the many aftermarket belts I've tried. These days I use OEM belts exclusively. These new machines get such fantastic belt life I don't concern myself with price tags anymore.

i have a 2007 vk pro and notice that either the belt or primary clutch makes an awful squeeling noise right when u start to move. It feels like it maybe the belt. i've changed the belt and no difference. has anyone else had this problem?

cruzer7702 said:
i have a 2007 vk pro and notice that either the belt or primary clutch makes an awful squeeling noise right when u start to move. It feels like it maybe the belt. i've changed the belt and no difference. has anyone else had this problem?

I belive I know how to solve this problem.I have the same problem on my RX1 Mountain,an my brother on his Venture 600.In your rear/secondary clutch there is 3 small bolts(6mm)at the back inside against the frame.This bolt has a washer on it.Take away the washer and install the bolt again.The tip of this bolts wear down and the secondary clutc grip the belt a little harder.Nexst time you hear the belt squeeling,you must buy new bolts.This solve the problem on my Yamaha.

Back