• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who owns a 2016 or 2017 Vector 129

TrueBlue

Lifetime Member
I would like to hear from people who own 2016 or 2017 Vectors 129. My question is do you get a lot of snow build-up in the rear suspension like the prior Vector models. I have a 2011 & a 2015 Vector and I really get a lot of snow build-up in the rear suspension. I get so much that I have to clean it out when I am done riding for the day. I know the 2016 & 2017 have a different suspension that are not so massive that is why I am asking that question. Also do the 2016 or the 2017 have a quieter track or the little rubber pads on the track where the boogie wheels roll on. I have also owned other Vectors in the past & would like to get away from the track howl. I know that the viper tracks are quieter but I would like to buy another Vector.

Thank's in advance
Rich

I have a 2016 Vector. I have never owned an older Vector so I can't answer the question about snow build-up in the rear suspension as compared to the older the vectors. Mine definetly gets some snow build up but not nearly as much as the Sr viper or Sidewinders that I ride with. The 2016 does not have the rubber pads where the bogie wheels run and it does have the track howl. It is actually quite annoying. So much so that I am seriously thinking of the trading the sled. I would stick with the 2011 and the 2015 as I feel they are nicer riding than the Single shot skid ,at least they are in the Apex for those years . The single shot skid is about the same as riding on a 2" x 10". Very harsh.

I have a 2016 Vector. I have never owned an older Vector so I can't answer the question about snow build-up in the rear suspension as compared to the older the vectors. Mine definetly gets some snow build up but not nearly as much as the Sr viper or Sidewinders that I ride with. The 2016 does not have the rubber pads where the bogie wheels run and it does have the track howl. It is actually quite annoying. So much so that I am seriously thinking of the trading the sled. I would stick with the 2011 and the 2015 as I feel they are nicer riding than the Single shot skid ,at least they are in the Apex for those years . The single shot skid is about the same as riding on a 2" x 10". Very harsh.

I understand that yamaha is replacing the old shocks with updated new shocks at no charge to the customer. Check with your dealer.

Trueblue, I don't mean to high jack the thread but where can I get info on the vector shock recall. I know two guys with them and can not get info anywhere. Is it just in the US maybe.

Trueblue, I don't mean to high jack the thread but where can I get info on the vector shock recall. I know two guys with them and can not get info anywhere. Is it just in the US maybe.

All I can tell you is that my dealer told me the other day that if you complain to yamaha that you can not happy with the current shock you must complain to them & ask your dealer to help. If he is a good dealer he will do this. My dealer has told me that he has replaced quite a few of these shocks, which Yamaha will pay for. You must pay for the labor to install, but again if you have a good dealer he will do it at no cost to you.

Guess what happens when that Fox rear air shock blows on a 2016 Vector 129 with 90 ,1.325 studs up the center. In my case, it also wiped out the rear heat exchanger and left us stranded 2 miles from our trailer with little anti freeze to continue on with. This sled had less than 700 miles on it when this happened. Returned it to the dealer for repairs under warranty. To my surprise, my dealer replaced the shock with the updated new Fox Air shock, replaced the heat exchanger and installed new hyfax around the new exchanger at no cost to me including the labor to do all this. I have no idea what part Yamaha played in this or what my dealer had to eat here but, I am blown away by
this unbelievable surprise. My Yamaha dealer is in St Johnsbury, Vt.

Guess what happens when that Fox rear air shock blows on a 2016 Vector 129 with 90 ,1.325 studs up the center. In my case, it also wiped out the rear heat exchanger and left us stranded 2 miles from our trailer with little anti freeze to continue on with. This sled had less than 700 miles on it when this happened. Returned it to the dealer for repairs under warranty. To my surprise, my dealer replaced the shock with the updated new Fox Air shock, replaced the heat exchanger and installed new hyfax around the new exchanger at no cost to me including the labor to do all this. I have no idea what part Yamaha played in this or what my dealer had to eat here but, I am blown away by

I'd bet $1000 your dealer worked this all out with Yamaha.

I purchased a leftover brand new 16 Apex with this shock. Definitely like the ride of my 13 Apex better with the mono shock. I may go with the Hygear coil over shock. What caused the shock to blow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just not the right shock for the Single Shot suspension is my guess. For the time being at least install additional hyfax on each side of the rear heat exchanger to prevent future damage incase it happens. I do love the Fox Air shock and the new one has an additional reservoir and rides even better. The Hygear unit should be even better but quite pricey at just under $1,000 bucks.

Hyfax on heat exchanger? My sled has no studs. So other than squatting low not gonna damage the heat exchanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also purchased a left over '16 Vector 146 with the original Fox Shock. At 300 miles the shock was blown. Leaking Air from the seals.
Meyer Yamaha in Ishpeming, MI replaced it with the Upgraded Fox Shock at No Charge for parts or labor. Technically Yamaha will not pay for the Upgraded Shock as a warranty replacement on the 2016 Vectors, only on the 2017 Apex. But Meyer Yamaha negotiated with the factory to get everything covered for me. Can't wait to go for a ride and see how the ride is with the upgraded shock.

My Dad has a 2018 Vector, which should have the updated shock, but he has gone thru 2 shocks breaking in less then 2500 miles. Any one else have the same issues?

My Dad has a 2018 Vector, which should have the updated shock, but he has gone thru 2 shocks breaking in less then 2500 miles. Any one else have the same issues?
Pretty sure the vector didn't get the updated shock, only the apex. You should have your dad see if they will put the updated one in for him.

Good info on the new Single Shot Fox rear shock replacement. Go to Apex Talk. Go to frequently asked questions there. Scroll down to Suspension and click on Single Shot Set-up. There it shows how to install it and how to set it up by rider weight. We just had the original shock blow out and our dealer replaced it with the updated unit under warranty. This shock is very very good. This is on my Sons 2016 RS Vector 129.

Which shock does he have or break? the upgraded one? or not.. take a look and see if it has the extra reservoir. Here is a pic of it... I have the upgraded one on my 2016 ..only 100 miles so far and worry and will keep track of this shock.. and how it performs.

Capture.JPG

Back