• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Windshield care

Snowaddict

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX-LE
TWITTER
mstahl88
After attempting to carefully clean my brand new mid height windshield on my SideWinder, I'm wondering what the proper way is. I purposely used a soft cloth and the infamous Sham wow. For cleaner it was windex. Sure enough if it didn't scratch the dang thing! Waste of $100 on the upgrade. I had even put a little Rain x on it before I ever even rode it the first time, thinking any issues could be buffed out. So, what is the recommended type of cleaner and cloth? After I saw it was scratched, I finished the job with my small eye glass cleaning cloth. I should have just used that right away, but it is small. :o|

My buddy swears by Plexus , great stuff but a little pricy .
When windows on the Jeep Wrangler soft windows are scratched I use Meguires Plastic Cleaner first then Meguires Plastic Polish after that using a good clean soft cotton cloth . I have also used the Meguires on the " 98 SX windshield after the trailer cover did a number on the windy .

My buddy swears by Plexus , great stuff but a little pricy .
When windows on the Jeep Wrangler soft windows are scratched I use Meguires Plastic Cleaner first then Meguires Plastic Polish after that using a good clean soft cotton cloth . I have also used the Meguires on the " 98 SX windshield after the trailer cover did a number on the windy .
Thanks. Do you get those online or would they be available at a local auto store?

Meguires at local parts store ...... Plexus don't know , Chad ( my buddy ) gets it for me , works great on helmet shield and smells good too !!

Meguiars detailer or many products from Meguiars. Show car stuff too, as cars have that urethane or whatever clear coat, basically plastic, and it's great on all of it. Never windex. And use those microfiber towels, remove the label..it can scratch. I successfully polished out light scratches in a Plexiglas window with Meguiars show car glaze.

Well, maybe there is hope for buffing out some of it. Looks like I'll be going to the auto store this week. Might as well occupy my time with this, since it's frickin raining out right now. So, won't be riding again anytime soon. :eek:

Another product which works quite well is "Mirrorglaze"... commonly used on general aviation aircraft (plexiglass) windows. Will remove minor scratches.

Another product which works quite well is "Mirrorglaze"... commonly used on general aviation aircraft (plexiglass) windows. Will remove minor scratches.
Where do you get that stuff?

It's a mequiars product, most auto body/paint shop should have it, or try plastx from mequiars, easily found at any auto parts store in the headlight repair area, right next to it will be a plastic protector product too that fills in anything the polish can't deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a mequiars product, most auto body/paint shop should have it, or try plastx from mequiars, easily found at any auto parts store in the headlight repair area, right next to it will be a plastic protector product too that fills in anything the polish can't deal with

I went to 2 local auto stores. Both had the Meguiar's Plastx. It was $8.99. 1 of the stores also had Mirror Glaze, but there were a handful of varieties and all in bottles that were huge. It was $17.99. I opted for the Plastx because of price and the fact that I have 1 windshield to do, not 100. Lol. If it doesn't work, I will get the mirror glaze.

The bottle shown of MG10 is from the pro line and is not usually found in a consumer store, only a paint shop/auto body supply usually has them. The consumer MG is for paint only and is very different from the pro line

I found regular car wax on the shield will make it look new again and fill in scratches.

Back