• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would you buy a Winder again?

KnappAttack

24X ISR World Drag Racing Champion
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder LTX-LE
2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
Well season is done for us here in south MN. Take that back, we really never had a winter season here this year, but it was 55* here today and its back to work for me in a couple weeks.

I sold my 1200 turbo this week and fella is coming to pick it up this weekend. Was able to race against and ride my buds tuned up Winder. No doubt they have come along way since I had that 2012 POS Procross Cat turbo, but I still see lots of little problems and little issues on the Winder. (Yes, my 1200 Doo is/was a bit faster too). But I'm bored and need to do something different as been riding 1200 Doo's since 09, and there is no other turbo, big power game in town. Doo dropped the ball again this/next season!

It would appear that the shops are making progress on the tunes for the Winder. Good thing because stock sucks.

I actually really loved the ride, handling and easy steering of my buds LTX-LE winder with the QRS3R's. Certain things I really liked about it and makes it lots easier to purchase. I know I can fix its performance that is lacking, but can I keep a belt on it is the question.

Rollers, who cares. easy fix, turbo bolts - so what, but whats the deal with the belts? Are these engines out of alignment, or is the clutching off that far, or are the engine mounts too close allowing huge engine movement or whats happening there? Lack of cool air perhaps to the belt and clutches? Seems that there are no many complaints with them popping belts stock or modded.

Of course it seems there are lots of other little things out there too that just give some fits. Gas gauges, little running issues but nothing major like it was back in 2012 like broken shafts, chain cases blowing up, fires and a myriad of major problems. Of course belts were huge back then too, and not sure they ever fixed that problem.

Certainly not the consistently good reviews I saw with the 1200 Doo on DooTalk over all the years, even right from the start back in 09, and I can see why it wouldn't be somewhat. Lots of people complaining of hard steering coming off power-steering Apex and such.

Would you buy your 2017 again? Or would you wait and purchase a 2018 at a greater cost? Lots of deals out there on left over 2017s. Or would you go to another brand and go away from the Cat chassis altogether?

Fuel tank large enough? Fuel mileage good enough? Engine braking enough, the one I rode was not as much as I'd like to see. Was it just plain reliable enough?

Would like to hear from the guys and their thoughts that have had the Winder for a season now. Would you do it all over?

Yup!

I have a Winder and my wife has a 2016 Viper - thinking about moving the Viper and picking up another Winder (I'd have no issue picking up another '17 Winder and not waiting for an '18).

Without a doubt I'd buy it again! I had the turbo bolts fall out, broke an exhaust bolt, but that's it. Still running the original belt with 1200 miles and counting. Turning up the boost with TD powertrail so hopefully i don't start blowing belts. I have the xtx le 137 and am very happy. Also easily over 200km on a tank of gas, most so far was 225km.

I knew you'd be back! I believe the belt blowing issue is NOT coil bind but CLUTCH bind. I think the bushing is too loose or sloppy, binding or slowing it down enough so belt gets loose then on the gas & KABOOM. Coil bind would be all out. Mine blew at 60 mph. Belt looked good prior to snapping & clutches were very COOL. Yes, very COOL which is a good sign. Once this is figured out the answer is...YES i would buy it again. Real easy to get a lot of power, just up your ally. They should have them dialed in just in time for you...

The only issue that perturbes me is the belt issue. The other little things are water under the bridge and aren't an issue for me.

I think the belt issue is a culmination of various factors with heat being the greatest. My clutches run very hot. Question is....what causes the heat? I think the rear roller is junk, it causes belt slip and lots of heat. Design of airbox and sidepanels dont let enough cool air in nor enough hot air to escape. These factors together create a belt blower.

I think someone who buys a winder and drives 50-60mph won't see any issues. If I were that guy, I would have purchased a vector. I like to ride 95-100 mph, hence i bought the biggest and baddest. However i learnefmaintaining these speeds on a 45 degree day is tough on belts.

Also tuner skis are junk and need to be replaced if you plan on turning. Also front of hood too close to intercooler and plugs with snow if riding behind someone in fresh snow conditions.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a thundercat. It comes with good skis, a decent windshield, the front of hood is better design and intercooler doesn't plug. Lastly......and I can't believe I'm saying this.....the cat team clutches are better than the Yammie clutches as far as belt durability.

Just my honest 5 cents...........

Yeah that vacuum cleaner for a nose is so frustrating. I'm also frustrated with Yamaha's overall service and parts. I was told they are second to none. Oh well what else is there to buy? Nuthin.

Not everyone's experience is going to be the same.

Last fuel up 16.3mpg. speedo indicated 120mph. Had dealer do the bulletins. I would certainly buy a '17 and not look back.

Hmmmm..... problems. Oh, took me three tries at getting stains out of white plastic. Goo gone.

I've seen '17's in the $12g range. May be cheaper now. I guess I'd wait to see the '18 color scheme. Whatever trips your trigger.

Well season is done for us here in south MN. Take that back, we really never had a winter season here this year, but it was 55* here today and its back to work for me in a couple weeks.

I sold my 1200 turbo this week and fella is coming to pick it up this weekend. Was able to race against and ride my buds tuned up Winder. No doubt they have come along way since I had that 2012 POS Procross Cat turbo, but I still see lots of little problems and little issues on the Winder. (Yes, my 1200 Doo is/was a bit faster too). But I'm bored and need to do something different as been riding 1200 Doo's since 09, and there is no other turbo, big power game in town. Doo dropped the ball again this/next season!

It would appear that the shops are making progress on the tunes for the Winder. Good thing because stock sucks.

I actually really loved the ride, handling and easy steering of my buds LTX-LE winder with the QRS3R's. Certain things I really liked about it and makes it lots easier to purchase. I know I can fix its performance that is lacking, but can I keep a belt on it is the question.

Rollers, who cares. easy fix, turbo bolts - so what, but whats the deal with the belts? Are these engines out of alignment, or is the clutching off that far, or are the engine mounts too close allowing huge engine movement or whats happening there? Lack of cool air perhaps to the belt and clutches? Seems that there are no many complaints with them popping belts stock or modded.

Of course it seems there are lots of other little things out there too that just give some fits. Gas gauges, little running issues but nothing major like it was back in 2012 like broken shafts, chain cases blowing up, fires and a myriad of major problems. Of course belts were huge back then too, and not sure they ever fixed that problem.

Certainly not the consistently good reviews I saw with the 1200 Doo on DooTalk over all the years, even right from the start back in 09, and I can see why it wouldn't be somewhat. Lots of people complaining of hard steering coming off power-steering Apex and such.

Would you buy your 2017 again? Or would you wait and purchase a 2018 at a greater cost? Lots of deals out there on left over 2017s. Or would you go to another brand and go away from the Cat chassis altogether?

Fuel tank large enough? Fuel mileage good enough? Engine braking enough, the one I rode was not as much as I'd like to see. Was it just plain reliable enough?

Would like to hear from the guys and their thoughts that have had the Winder for a season now. Would you do it all over?
Buy again in a heart beat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too! I just noticed a small puddle of oil under mine today. So what? I'll fix it.

Im betting the crappy season is part of your discontent....I know you have loved the 1200..and there are little details about it you will expect and not get with the SW...so therefore....get another 1200 and do it up and be happy....the little things others are willing to accept will aggravate you...

the best sled for me so far , i currently have 1-850 , 2 - 800 , 1 sidewinder in our fleet , looking to add 1 more sidewinder for 2018 , 1500miles on a td power trail sled , no belt issues , runs great , u can't go wrong on this sled , currently has all sleds beat hands down .

Back