• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would you buy the Viper again?

Would you buy your Viper again?

• Yes

Votes: 68 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 21.8%

• Total voters

Phazer2Viper

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LTX-DX 15,000 miles and counting!

2008 Phazer GT 128" track 10,444 miles (sold)
2008 Nytro RTX 136" 3800 miles (sold)
2000 Phazer 6500 Miles (Sold)
1990 Phazer II 10,000 miles (sold)
Looking at upgrading from my 136 Nytro to a USED 137 Viper. I bought a yamaha 4-stroke for the longevity and durability so I'm nervous about the Vipers. Or are the problems not as common as i think? Thanks

Last edited:

I would buy another one.

I would not buy used with what you an get a brand new one for ($8K). However, these motors do take a long time to loosen up so that is 1 potential advantage to buying used, but I would be afraid a used one wasn't broken in the way I prefer.

In two seasons and pushing 3000 miles I only had one service issue -the trihub axle failed. I'm disappointed in that; but it wouldn't stop me from buying again.

It's a tough question to answer and I won't answer yes or no. Why? Knowing what I know now, with the Sidewinder on the table, I would probably not have bought the Viper, but rather sold, or traded, my Nytro for a SW.
However, if we take the SW out of the equation, and ask whether the Viper is a better sled than the Nytro, for me the answer is yes. That's based purely on ride and handling. The Viper has had and have its issues, but if you want to stick with Yamaha, I would take the Viper over the Nytro any day.
Don't get me wrong, I liked my Nytro ('09 XTX). But the Viper is just that much better handling, better balanced and feeling lighter than the Nytro. Trail riding it's much more predictable with less darting and bump steer.

Whether to buy new or used is also a difficult question to answer. If you can find a good deal on a leftover '15 or '16 that's probably a better choice but a slightly used bought from a dealer shouldn't be a bad choice either.

Hope this helps ;-) :)

I have a used 137 Viper for sale!! With a Hurricane turbo to boot!!!!

I just bought a new 2015 Ltx Se for $4k off msrp.....sold my 09 nytro added the $5k and I'm not looking back!

I agree with what birkebeiner is saying about the Viper being an awesome handling sled. I've said it before and will again; "it handles and hangs with the best of them", but truthfully, that part is not Yamaha- the handling is all Cat.

For me, my prerequisite for purchasing a sled (or anything for that matter) is for a company to stand behind its product. With this ridiculous tune/reflash debacle, that is going on 4 years now, shows how they've changed and it just isn't good business. It's bad enough Yamaha went partners with considered by most "the worst quality sled manufacture" but to stand in the shadows and let their loyal customers put up with ill running motors is beyond me. Fact is- these engines have been around for quite a while and Yamaha knows how to tune them. There is no reason on God's green earth why Yamaha couldn't have fixed this the first year they came out. Heck, the aftermarket can throw a tuner on one of these and tune it from a laptop in several hours. I purchased a Yamaha and am not happy about it. I know I sound like a broken record but..I have to vote no.

I appreciate the feedback. Ive never owned anything but a yamaha and love the 1049 motor and the handling of the Cats. Being a year out of college ive never spent this much money on anything in my life! I was hoping I was just overreacting.

I'm a potential Viper buyer also. Still waiting for the dust to settle on the flash/starter issue. Will keep riding my two Vectors for now. Just to remind people it also took three years for Yammy to fix the cam tensioner issue on the early Vectors. Seems the first year is dedicated to denial, 2nd to we'll look into it, third year trying some fixes. There is a pattern here.

As long as the 2016 I bought runs and handles well I don't care if the chassis is made by Cat..really looking forward to the first ride on it.

Cats have usually had a great handling sled. I don't think you'll be disappointed with that part.

In the 3300 mi I currently have on my 15 ltx dx, not one issue with it yet, like mentioned it does take about 2k mi to break in, although I have an intake, header, can, clutch kit and evo flash, all the sled need's is a clutch kit and can to wake it up and get it into the 90's.

I would have to say no. Too much artic cat influence on these machines. Seems that was fixed with SW , maybe. Sold mine already it was a 15. If some things were cleaned up maybe . After the rod crap in the 2016's and the re flash nonsense still no one really knows what's going on. I think artic cat is running a lot of the show right now. A lot of advertising crap also false. No too sure if they are going to be around for warranty. Just my 2 cents

Whether it's a SW or a Viper, the chassis is essentially the same. If you want to 100+, SW appears to be the best solution. If you don't care about eclipsing the three digit mark at will, the Viperhas plenty of low end and mid range power. Just takes a bit of clutching to bring it to life. All in all, I love my Viper. I am not a speed demon, so I don't need a turbo sled. I would but another Viper, but mine isn't going anywhere for a long time! So no need.

Curtis you are right. Had to remind me! I forgive quickly but should not forget. Sidewinder Fever I guess. Right now Yamaha does not deserve a sale to me. Thats a fact. Then a guy has to wiegh whether trying to prove a point is worth not having the potential fun the sled you want is capable of providing. This year thank God I could not afford a new sled or I would have either bought a 850 Doo. Had $ down but bailed or a Sidewinder now. Instead I bought a cheap used 800 RR Cat and I intend to have alot of fun with it. If I had $ I would have bought a 129 RTX LE Sidewinder and when it was delivered without RR skid it would not have left the dealer pissing them off and me. Glad that I was broke this year for sure. Good dealer is hard to come by. Fun snowmobiles are easy to find.

Back