• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XCR vs Sidewinder

Dealerjohn

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 MTX Viper, XTX Viper, 2001 SRX 700
Hey guys,

I previously have owned 2 Yamaha Vipers. an XTX SE and an MTX 153 turbo.

I really enjoyed the sleds but I'd like to have a more trail purpose sled. As that is what 90% of my riding is. I have a Polaris SKS for enjoying the off trail riding.

Either way, I'm stuck between a Sidewinder and a XCR.

I really like the idea of rocket ship speed on the sidewinder, but I also like the idea of railing the turns and jumping on the XCR.

I'm looking for opinions on both sleds from guys who have ridden them. I've bought enough sleds in the past few years this one needs to stay a while so I'd like to get it right!

Thanks!

I just bought a sidewinder handles nice on trails and is a rocket I love it best sled I ever had

I had 800 switchback axys. I way prefer sidewinder. But if you ride super tight twisty trails more than 80% of the time you might like xcr. Here in northern ontario most trails wide and fast...that's where sidewinder shines...cruising 70mph less than 1/2 throttle

I have a Winder and also ride 16 800 switchback.

I hate changing pistons and cranks....sidewinder all the way.

Also, can't sell a used Polaris.

Ever hear the Phrase Apples to Apples and Orange to Oranges? I think you need to decide what kind of riding you want to do. The XCR is built like a tank so longevity of chassis being pounded through the rough is no doubt going to be great but motor who knows. 10000mi at best? Sidewinder will go through the rough well but its made for Top Speed trails and lakes. Engine should last over 20000mi but Turbo components who knows. Do you want to beat your buddies in the big rough trails without wrecking stuff or beat them in the straights and lakes? Most days either will get to end of day at same time. Both the prices are dropping like a stone now. Tough call. This whole thing will end up in DogPile quickly I am sure. Its really the place for things like this. No Offense meant. Is what it is.

I have a Winder and also ride 16 800 switchback.

I hate changing pistons and cranks....sidewinder all the way.

Also, can't sell a used Polaris.

I have had way more trouble selling my 2015 Yamaha Vipers than any other sleds I've had. I don't usually worry about the resale for this reason. I buy what I want, deal with the consequences later.

I can't get any Yamaha dealers to take my sled on trade. Most have brand new 2015s on the floor or out back in crates that they can't sell. The only dealers I have had any success dealing with on a trade are Ski-doo dealers!! How sad is that. I have a used 2015 Ski-doo Renegade XRS 800 lined up now. Not because I want to, but because I'm forced to.. What a world.

I've even tried trading it for other shorter tracked Vipers with no avail.. That's all you can do.

Ever hear the Phrase Apples to Apples and Orange to Oranges? I think you need to decide what kind of riding you want to do. The XCR is built like a tank so longevity of chassis being pounded through the rough is no doubt going to be great but motor who knows. 10000mi at best? Sidewinder will go through the rough well but its made for Top Speed trails and lakes. Engine should last over 20000mi but Turbo components who knows. Do you want to beat your buddies in the big rough trails without wrecking stuff or beat them in the straights and lakes? Most days either will get to end of day at same time. Both the prices are dropping like a stone now. Tough call. This whole thing will end up in DogPile quickly I am sure. Its really the place for things like this. No Offense meant. Is what it is.

Yes, Obviously I have heard this phrase.

I've decided that I ride all types of trails and lakes in all types of conditions.. at varying speeds. Hope that helps.

I don't need anything to last 10000 miles, it'll be sold long before then. But who don't want a reliable sled?

I usually ride by myself, as I don't like to wait up.. and must guys are too busy riding their 155s off trail.

Either way, if you look back at my last post, looks like I'm getting an XRS Renegade. Should be fun! Thanks for your help.

Yes, Obviously I have heard this phrase.

I've decided that I ride all types of trails and lakes in all types of conditions.. at varying speeds. Hope that helps.

I don't need anything to last 10000 miles, it'll be sold long before then. But who don't want a reliable sled?

I usually ride by myself, as I don't like to wait up.. and must guys are too busy riding their 155s off trail.

Either way, if you look back at my last post, looks like I'm getting an XRS Renegade. Should be fun! Thanks for your help.
They are all fun! Hope you enjoy this one.

I have an RTX Le 129. It took a little adjusting for me but it now rides great in all conditions. Just twist the dampers in one of 3 choices and it responds amazingly. Funny thing, a buddy of mine owns a Polaris pro 800, obviously not the new xcr but the has had a hell of a time with it in anything other than silky smooth trails. I can hit big moguls, smooth, fresh snow you name it and best of all wth gobs of power. I'd say that would make that choice easy for me.

I have had way more trouble selling my 2015 Yamaha Vipers than any other sleds I've had. I don't usually worry about the resale for this reason. I buy what I want, deal with the consequences later.

I can't get any Yamaha dealers to take my sled on trade. Most have brand new 2015s on the floor or out back in crates that they can't sell. The only dealers I have had any success dealing with on a trade are Ski-doo dealers!! How sad is that. I have a used 2015 Ski-doo Renegade XRS 800 lined up now. Not because I want to, but because I'm forced to.. What a world.

I've even tried trading it for other shorter tracked Vipers with no avail.. That's all you can do.

Have you ever tried to get rid of a Nytro? lol. I actually got an ok trade on it, but ok is a stretch. At least the Viper was a good deal.

I think as the sleds get older then it'll be the Viper that people still want and the resale of the 2 strokes will drop off big time once the miles pile up.

The biggest problem with trying to sell a Viper right now is you have good deals on brand new left over ones and the Sidewinder has stole all the Yamaha excitement. I'm guessing you will see the same thing happening with other models of used sleds when there are new ones with big discounts still on the showroom floor.

Have you ever tried to get rid of a Nytro? lol. I actually got an ok trade on it, but ok is a stretch. At

Haha, no I haven't but I can remember for years full blown custom Nytros selling for 8-9000 bucks.. should have taken notes! haha. Oh well.

Loved my 2015 XRS till a buddy seized his. Made me paranoid so I sold it.

Yeah, I hear ya. Nothing better than holding a 4 stroke wide open all day and never worrying about not making it home. At the same time, a couple pistons isn't the end of the world either. I have a few sleds, so I would still be able to ride.

I've decided to never buy another Yamaha until I can actually test ride one and know for certain its going to be in my garage for a long long time.

Haha, no I haven't but I can remember for years full blown custom Nytros selling for 8-9000 bucks.. should have taken notes! haha. Oh well.

Yeah, I hear ya. Nothing better than holding a 4 stroke wide open all day and never worrying about not making it home. At the same time, a couple pistons isn't the end of the world either. I have a few sleds, so I would still be able to ride.

I've decided to never buy another Yamaha until I can actually test ride one and know for certain its going to be in my garage for a long long time.
I shouldn't even ask but Why is that? You seem to like it here since you keep bringing it up. Hope we here didn't steer you in wrong direction with your Vipers?

I shouldn't even ask but Why is that? You seem to like it here since you keep bringing it up. Hope we here didn't steer you in wrong direction with your Vipers?

I'm not sure what you are referring to with your first question. I do like it here.. Not much knowledge in the deep snow/off trail department it seems, but for everything else its perfect. I didn't do much research before I bought the viper.. Nothing I have read since, would have swayed my decision. Its a great sled. I just needed time on the seat, and that required buying it.

Back