• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX with Star Suspension and shortened Front Shock blew top off shock

Ding

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Black & Blue
Just wondering if anyone else had a front skid shock blow it's top on the XTX skid with Star Suspension upgrade. There doesn't appear to be any damage and I can't tell if it pulled from over-extending or compression pressures.

Also looking for possible alternatives to the stock SOQI shock (with Star upgrades). Is there a better shock that fits this skid and can be tuned to work well?

I did send a note to Robert Véronneau to get his input as well.

Wow Randy! I've beat on mine a LOT, have had zero issues. I'm sure Robert will take care of you. What were you doing when it happened?

did you have Star rebuild/shorten your front shock when you installed the kit?

Not really very hard riding lately. Just some moderate rough trail and off-trail stuff with some small jumps. Last year I did lose the limiter straps and I wonder if it maybe dislodged the snap ring partly out of it's groove that holds the seal assembly in. Maybe it just finally worked it's way out. I noticed no rebound damping at the very end of my last ride, so assume this is when the seal came out of the tube.

Yes, Star added the spacer to limit travel when they re-valved the shock.

Not really what you want to see when you check your suspension . . .

20170105_000501.jpeg

Sounds like Star should fix it since they made the valving changes.

Robert responded right away and offered to fix it. So I may send it his way. He also provided the gas charge psi he used in case I have it fixed locally. Good guy.

Not really what you want to see when you check your suspension . . .

View attachment 124932

Robert responded right away and offered to fix it. So I may send it his way. He also provided the gas charge psi he used in case I have it fixed locally. Good guy.

Tell him that he needs to be a sponsor on TY again and quit being so cheap. This place cant survive on gum balls and candy wrappers...LOL

I might get an earful of French if I told him that. LOL

LOL, well why should TY be the place for all the questions to be answered about their product when they don't even contribute... whatever. I give up.
Because this site, your site the BEST !!! We the members appreciate and most are astounded at the level of quality this forum has to offer. So don't give up your hard work is much appreciated, I'm sure I speak for 99.9% of the members here. :rocks:

Because this site, your site the BEST !!! We the members appreciate and most are astounded at the level of quality this forum has to offer. So don't give up your hard work is much appreciated, I'm sure I speak for 99.9% of the members here. :rocks:

Thank you!! I was just messing with Ding :) , I have known him for years. Its all good but all members should talk to new vendors and encourage them to be part of the forums to help the users and TY to keep on keeping on, per-say.

Yah, I hear you on any who benefit from TY website for product sales or support contributing to the cause. Good to hear from you Tom. I might make a TY ride this year but still don't have a new sled yet. Sidewinder BTX somewhere in my future.

Yah, I hear you on any who benefit from TY website for product sales or support contributing to the cause. Good to hear from you Tom. I might make a TY ride this year but still don't have a new sled yet. Sidewinder BTX somewhere in my future.

Right on!! It would be awesome to see u on a ride.

Hey - thoughts on this . . .

I measured up an old 2002 Viper upgrade shock and I think it will work until I get the XTX one rebuilt or replaced. The spring rate is actually stiffer so it might actually work better in this application. The extended length is very similar to the stock XTX shock with the 10 - 11 mm spacer that Star adds. Thus It would limit travel in the stock XTX skid, but is a good length for the Star kit. I checked all of the other specs and think it should be fine. Of course valving will likely be way off, but at least it can be ridden without breaking things. What do you guys think?

What shocks would you upgrade to if you were to upgrade? Elka - others?

This is of course the Center shock for a XTX skid (2009 in this case).

Back