• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX with Star Suspension and shortened Front Shock blew top off shock

Hey - thoughts on this . . .

I measured up an old 2002 Viper upgrade shock and I think it will work until I get the XTX one rebuilt or replaced. The spring rate is actually stiffer so it might actually work better in this application. The extended length is very similar to the stock XTX shock with the 10 - 11 mm spacer that Star adds. Thus It would limit travel in the stock XTX skid, but is a good length for the Star kit. I checked all of the other specs and think it should be fine. Of course valving will likely be way off, but at least it can be ridden without breaking things. What do you guys think?

What shocks would you upgrade to if you were to upgrade? Elka - others?

This is of course the Center shock for a XTX skid (2009 in this case).

Why not give it a shot for short term?

Its hard to imagine what could have happened to your shock. I have had my Soqui shocks apart many times for a rebuild and I have often struggled to get the snap ring out. When freshly rebuilt and charged it would be next to impossible to remove it even if the ring had broken in a couple of places. The O ringed aluminum top cap covers the snap ring and groove and applies pressure to seat the ring. What does the snap ring groove in the shock tube look like?

Tell him that he needs to be a sponsor on TY again and quit being so cheap. This place cant survive on gum balls and candy wrappers...LOL

Mr Sled is totally right. There's probably not another Apex mod/vendor mentioned more on here than Star. They've gotten sales and good PR from this site...me included. Robert at Star is absolutely A1 for product and service but I wouldn't have heard of him without TY. Like the Pioneer sway bar, Excel wheel kit, WPI seat, Hygear rebuilds, Snowtrackers, SledStart HIDs, Ulmer PC/Clutch and many other add-ons, they wouldn't have made my XTX an awesome sled without TY. That should be worth something to suppliers and riders.

Its hard to imagine what could have happened to your shock. I have had my Soqui shocks apart many times for a rebuild and I have often struggled to get the snap ring out. When freshly rebuilt and charged it would be next to impossible to remove it even if the ring had broken in a couple of places. The O ringed aluminum top cap covers the snap ring and groove and applies pressure to seat the ring. What does the snap ring groove in the shock tube look like?

Snap ring groove looks fine, of course the ring itself is nowhere to be seen so no idea what it looks like. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that the shock started to pull apart when the limiters let go last year. Wasn't until this year that it fully came open. While that plastic spacer keeps the shock from extending as far when the limiters fail it does put pressure on the top seal earlier in the travel and thus could experience more force.

fwiw - No response from Robert about returning as a sponsor of TY.

So 150 miles on it since the old Viper shock in before it ghost rode into a tree. That is what sons are for right? The joys of serious off-trail riding = bent stuff. Anyway the early report is that it rode better then it did before. Should have it fixed up and back on it's feet by next weekend and maybe I can try it. I have yet to ride it with the shock swap.

For any interested the spring rate went from 1.53 kg/mm (stock 09 XTX) to to 2.30 kg/mm (02 Viper Upgrade) - I don't remember the valving at all.

Hopefully Robert will own up to his mistake and realize he is essentially stealing. Excellent independent forums like this are far and few between... It would be a real shame if someone picked up one of his kits, copied it, and then offered them up for resale.... Just to prove a point.

i try dealing whit star in the past and it didnt clic me and him ... since on his web site it said rebuilt but its actually only a oil change ... not the same kind of rebuilt in mi book
almost did it make a copy at the moment i was mad whit him lol

Back