• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha 120 HP and 150 HP 4 stroke now available for aircraft

Slush Monster

Expert
Hey... Thought this might be of intrest to you guys. I am an ultralight aircraft pilot and just found out that The Yamaha 4 stroke 120 vector engine and the 150fi apex engine will now be available for light sport aircraft. Up until now Rotax has had a corner on the ultralight aircraft engine market. These Yamaha engines are superior in every way to what Rotax has to offer for ultralight engines. Rotax has had little compitition in this market with there dated 2 stroke offerings like the fan cooled 503 2 stroke with a ($3500) price tag, or there newer 912 4 stroke with a ($12,000) price tag. Talk abought price gouging. None of the newer Rotax engines are considered reliable enough for aircraft. The availabilitty of the Yamaha engines for aircraft is HUGE news for the ultralight people and BAD news for Rotax. They have along way to go to catch what yamaha has to offer for 4 stroke technology. Very shortly there will no longer be any more 2 stroke aircraft. An aircraft engine must be near bullet proof like the Yamaha has proven. The 2 strokes are just not cutting it. So you 4 stroke guys can be assured you have one of the best if not the best light engines available spinning under the hoods of you new sleds.
:4STroke: :Rockon:

Attachments

• air 013 (2).jpg
    air 013 (2).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 955
  • Picture 003 (2).jpg
    Picture 003 (2).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 585

The Ultralight market is a good fit for the 120 & 150's. Glad to hear Yamaha is a competetor with Rotax for civilian use applications.

Yamaha has an extensive R&D department that has led in many areas such as small engine Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV's) both helicopter, and fixed wing applications. The primary target is for military use, however, the uses are virtually limitless for commercial applications.

I would love to have an autogyro with simmons skis, and a Yamaha 150. It would be cool to taxi down to the lake, take off, fly around for an hour, and return for a libation. :Rockon:

is there a web site for this?
i checked the yamaha-motor.com and .ca sites but found no info
i can't beleave ppl would fly with anything with rotax wrote on it
bad for a engine to blow when ur so many thousand feet high...how high can something get with 150 hp anyway?

This is all pretty new I am not sure on the exact price of the engines. I know Slipstream has anounced the availability of the yamaha engines as a option for there airplanes. It may take awhile to get all the details but there are already some planes built and flying with the yamaha engines. From what I hear they are incredible as compared to what we flew with before. The maximum altitude we can fly is 10,000' high. I have been to 8,000' but my little Rotax 503 fan starts running out of good air to burn. How cool would it be to have the 150fi pushing my up always compensating for altitude. Very cool.

LazyBastard said:
i can't beleave ppl would fly with anything with rotax wrote on it
What? You mean like a Learjet? :itchy:

lol
well i'm pretty sure the learjet don't run a internal combustion engine like a Rotax...are the bombardier jets still lossing stock?

Back